• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

E TF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drøn
thank you. couldn't find one in white though. I guess I should have been more precise.
still need help.

By pure coincidence I was looking for some swimming trunks from Orlebar Brown today and I noticed they sell long sleeved polos as well, including in white. Though the placket looks a bit long to me, and they're a bit pricey. www.orlebarbrown.co.uk/adam

dron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by E,TF
By pure coincidence I was looking for some swimming trunks from Orlebar Brown today and I noticed they sell long sleeved polos as well, including in white. Though the placket looks a bit long to me, and they're a bit pricey. www.orlebarbrown.co.uk/adam
i just discovered that too. it's definately closer, but the placket and price do put me off.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpc1766
Could anyone please tell me what skin these shoes are made of? Thanks in advance.

looks like a pebblegrain type of cowhide but i am no expert in the field

Farside

Reaction score
I'm looking for the classic Navy blazer staple to add my wardrobe. What are the best buys? Brooks Brothers is a bit to old school from my tastes.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Farside
I'm looking for the classic Navy blazer staple to add my wardrobe. What are the best buys? Brooks Brothers is a bit to old school from my tastes.

Doesn't add up. BB = classic = old school. I am guessing that you want something trendy or hip.

Farside

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
Doesn't add up. BB = classic = old school. I am guessing that you want something trendy or hip.

My mistake. You're right. I'm guess I'm trying to avoid the gold button variety blazer.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Farside
My mistake. You're right. I'm guess I'm trying to avoid the gold button variety blazer.

Buttons can be easily switched out. You should be more concerned with styling.

I just got this the other day
http://andersonlittle.com/blue_blazer

It is microfiber/wool blend fabric however
frown.gif

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timmbo
I'm looking for a dark brown grenadine tie (a la http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-ga...ilk-tie-6.html) but I'm on a tight (student) budget. Where can I find a cheaper alternative? Everywhere I look only have 'knit' ties which have square/flat ends, which I'm not interested in. I'm in the UK if this makes things easier!
I just talked to Paul Winston, of Chipp Tailors in New York. He sells garza fina grenadines for $42, but is unfortunately out of most of his stock right now. He has: navy, grey, burgundy, and yellow in stock right now if I'm remembering correctly. Ordinarily he'd also have chocolate, forest green, purple, and black, and in the fall is adding four new colors: a color he calls "toast" (light brown) and several others that slip my mind. They're quite nice, especially for a money. I haven't compared them side by side with a Hober, but for $42, can't go wrong. The price of the silk apparently went up 30% since last year, so he'll be selling them for $48 starting soon IIRC but it's still a steal. He also noted that he has something like 16 colors of lambswool ties for like $30, which I'll have to give a try at some point. For your hunt, he said he should have the chocolate color back in stock around June, and the ties made by July. I haven't seen them in person, so I'm not quite sure which shade of chocolate brown it is. You'd have to order by phone, no web orders for the grenadines. 212 687-0850 is the number, he's a good guy to talk to. I believe they're all 3.5" but I'd have to go measure my other one to be sure.

TomAlso

Reaction score
N00b question: what does BOC stand for when talking about a blazer measurements?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TomAlso
N00b question: what does BOC stand for when talking about a blazer measurements?

Bottom of collar, its the jacket length measurement.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by runsurfswim
Why are grenadine ties more expensive?

It's an expensive material with relatively few makers. It's also supposed to be difficult to work with for the tie maker.

Also, outside of the iGent circles, I don't think there's much demand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads