• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just got my CT shirts ...

AutoX

Reaction score
Like most of them however the white poplin shirt I'm undecided. The material feels like a 300 thread count bed sheet of sorts. The details is nice, but material .. eh.

Also, I still haven't figured out why this shirt is called a polin as opposed to the other shirts I ordered from them.

I got the tailored fit, and while they are slimmer then most ... I'm still going to have to have them taken in on the sides (I'm 5'10 and 170lbs), and also the sleeves left me a lot to be desired (will also slim them down as well). Haven't tried the other shirts on yet though.

604Coast

Reaction score
I just ordered 6 CT shirts last night, 3 of which being the tailored fit white poplin. Post some fit pics and what size you ordered if possible!

And to answer your question poplin refers to:

strong fabric produced by the rib variation of the plain weave and characterized by fine, closely spaced, crosswise ribs. It is made with heavier filling yarns and a greater number of warp yarns and is similar to broadcloth, which has even finer, more closely spaced ribs.

Navi

Reaction score
honestly your expectations for fit sound pretty high for $40 a shirt. You cant really be surprised you have to alter an OTR shirt for so cheap, can you? There are very few OTR options that are going to be slimmer than the tailored fit, most of which will be much more expensive.

MTM is the way if you want a perfect fit off the bat. I've been extremely satisfied with all of my CT shirts and wear them very often, have held up great.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
honestly your expectations for fit sound pretty high for $40 a shirt. You cant really be surprised you have to alter an OTR shirt for so cheap, can you? There are very few OTR options that are going to be slimmer than the tailored fit, most of which will be much more expensive.

MTM is the way if you want a perfect fit off the bat. I've been extremely satisfied with all of my CT shirts and wear them very often, have held up great.

+1 on lowering your expectations. BTW, poplin is not the best fabric for a plain colored shirt. It does not hold a press at all. If you were expecting broadcloth-like qualities from poplin then you are barking up the wrong tree.

You should be thrilled to still get staple items at a reasonable price in this economy.....
smile.gif

AutoX

Reaction score
Don't have high expectations ... but when I'm being told from CT that this is even slimmer then their slim fit ... and shown the picture on the fit comparison, I expect it to hold some truth. Am I expecting a shirt tailored to fit with 1" extra material on each side OTR ... no. But I do expect not to have 4" extra material on each side. Pictures to come tonight.

IsteRed

Reaction score
Wanted to order from them today,turned out to get a blazer,two shirts and a tie delivered to me i'll have to pay 160(yeah that's right) pounds just for shipping...

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AutoX
Don't have high expectations ... but when I'm being told from CT that this is even slimmer then their slim fit ... and shown the picture on the fit comparison, I expect it to hold some truth. Am I expecting a shirt tailored to fit with 1" extra material on each side OTR ... no. But I do expect not to have 4" extra material on each side. Pictures to come tonight.

true, but there is an element of marketing propaganda when things are advertised a certain way. Unless you measure the shirts yourself in the store then I'd personally take a grain of salt. Or, perhaps, you wear your shirt very fitted, which is a story in its own right......

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I would bet a lot of money that you got 'em a size too big. I'm your height and weight and if I were to buy CT shirts, I would buy a size 15. So there, it's your fault.

shonuf323

Reaction score
CT posts the chest and waist measures of the shirts on their website. This should probably give you some insight into how the shirt will fit.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But I do expect not to have 4" extra material on each side. Pictures to come tonight.

you're saying their tailored fit shirts are 8" too wide around the waist of a 5'10" 170lb dude? thats hard to believe

Originally Posted by IsteRed
Wanted to order from them today,turned out to get a blazer,two shirts and a tie delivered to me i'll have to pay 160(yeah that's right) pounds just for shipping...

somethings not right about that.

where do you live?

I live in NJ and the most I've paid for shipping is like 13gbp

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say that 16 seems a large size for someone your height. I'm 6' and wear about 15.5 and sometimes 15, in most brands.

ggtk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
I have to say that 16 seems a large size for someone your height. I'm 6' and wear about 15.5 and sometimes 15, in most brands.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't he base the 16 size on his neck regardless of height? I'm 5'9 and also wear a 16/33.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ggtk
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't he base the 16 size on his neck regardless of height? I'm 5'9 and also wear a 16/33.
At 170 lbs, it's very unlikely that he has a 16" neck. I used to buy size 16 shirts before I joined SF. Now I wear size 15.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads