• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Business to start on a low budget?

Mr_Incognito

Reaction score
My Cousin has just graduated from college in Canada with a Business Diploma, he is very keen on starting his own business from his college savings. I would really appreciate if you could suggest some ideas for him to look into. Thanks.

imschatz

Reaction score
That's not how it works. Takes a lot of years of very little money to start a successful business - you kind have to love what you're doing.

If I had to choose something .. I'd go with a fastfood franchise .. little to know variety in my home town, especially when it comes to ethnic fast food. But those guys live terrible lives, working 80+ hr weeks for peanuts.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Something that does not involve producing a product.

His best bet would be selling some sort of service that others are willing to pay for (and you would be amazed how much people will pay for things that you personally would never dream of giving up a cent for).

Of course since he is like 24 and has a "business diploma" he will probably have to dig deep to figure out what kind of service to sell.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
work for a few years, then revisit it

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Well, undercapitalized business means you need little to no inventory, high velocity of cash, and no initial investment for start up. If you think of something that meets this criteria let me know!

Mr_Incognito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Something that does not involve producing a product.

His best bet would be selling some sort of service that others are willing to pay for (and you would be amazed how much people will pay for things that you personally would never dream of giving up a cent for).

Of course since he is like 24 and has a "business diploma" he will probably have to dig deep to figure out what kind of service to sell.

Thanks for your reply, can you suggest some services?

Originally Posted by globetrotter
work for a few years, then revisit it

He is quite adamant on starting his business soon and I feel he can do pretty well based on his business and people skills. I just want to suggest him some businesses where the chances of success are somewhat higher than average.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
You don't start a business without a lot of fallback money. Lemonade stand?

hrb

Reaction score
If he is keen on entrepreneurship, but doesn't have an idea, it would likely be best to go work in a field that he's interested in/utilizes his current skill-set, and search for untapped niches within that industry. Having drive is great (and imperative when starting your own business), but to be frank, executing a successful business plan requires a lot of thinking outside the box. if you need someone to think of step 1 for a business, he's probably going to need someone to think of step 2, 3, and 4 as well. With the aforementioned experience should come wisdom, and in turn hopefully result in self realized answers to steps 1, 2, 3, and 4.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lawl

Your cousin should ask for a ******* refund.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Well, undercapitalized business means you need little to no inventory, high velocity of cash, and no initial investment for start up. If you think of something that meets this criteria let me know!

Prostitution?

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
Minimal capital could be a computer programming service, in his case perhaps business programming. He does not have to be a programmer, just getting to know people who can do the job, and finding the work for them to do. The best bet is for him to get a job in his chosen field to make contacts, and attend computer conferences or geek meetings to find the programmers.

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
I'd say that starting a business just for the sake of it is a pretty bad idea. It's going to be a lot of work, so if he's not doing something because he enjoys it it'll be a lot harder to motivate himself and if he doesn't choose something based on what the market in his area will support then he's really setting himself up to fail.

He should try working for a couple of years maybe, building up experience and contacts and really working on his ideas for what exactly he wants to do.

AxlJack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hrb
If he is keen on entrepreneurship, but doesn't have an idea, it would likely be best to go work in a field that he's interested in/utilizes his current skill-set, and search for untapped niches within that industry. Having drive is great (and imperative when starting your own business), but to be frank, executing a successful business plan requires a lot of thinking outside the box. if you need someone to think of step 1 for a business, he's probably going to need someone to think of step 2, 3, and 4 as well. With the aforementioned experience should come wisdom, and in turn hopefully result in self realized answers to steps 1, 2, 3, and 4.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads