• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

raging_rapid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
What Stuart says about Motown, I also felt the same, Reggae was just part of the music we liked,
Back then in the dance halls you would wait for a slow Motown so that the Boys and girls could get together and do the grind/rub Lol. I never get tired of Motown.

I'm wondering what you guys think of the modern rocksteady bands who have gone back to the roots of the music. Bands like the Aggrolites? Their sound could of come out of the 1960s, with vocals similar to Toots but with the sound quality you get from modern day outputs.

Also, I suppose some of the mod bands were still around back then, bands like The Who. Did any of you get into any of that stuff or not at all?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raging_rapid
Also, since MoM is writing a book n' all, you should also be aware of the Scottish story:

http://www.scottishskinheads.co.uk/

I've had a look at that site. Its home page mentions 'original' but as far as I can see from the pictures it appears to concentrate mostly on the revival, apart from a few pics cribbed from here and there on the net. I'll certainly see whether there is anything there which we can use though.

bunty

Reaction score
Remember these characters?
laugh.gif

........another man who had his head nailed to the floor by The Piranha Brothers was Stig O 'Tracy.

skins72006.jpg

]ohn Cleese Monty Python's Flying Circus (1970)

And Dick Emery's 'Bovver Boy' - Gaylord (Write up from Teletronic the tv history site, love Emery's quote in italics!)

emery6.jpg

The 'Bovver Boys', also referred to as 'skinheads' grabbed media attention in the UK through the 1970s mostly as a result of hooliganism during football matches. Their style of dress mainly consisted of fitted Ben Sherman or Fred Perry sports shirts, straight leg denims either cut short or turned up to reveal their boots which were made by Dr Martens (also referred to as Doc Martens or DMs). Their hair, as the term 'skinhead' suggests, was close cropped with no greater than a
number 2 guard. Dick Emery's character was actually an updated version of an earlier young juvenile delinquent, the Teddy Boy, and was created during the 'Grand Prix' special. Originally, he was intended to be an experiment in a type of 'candid camera' sequence where Emery, in character wandered around a Cambridge market. Unfortunately, technical difficulties meant filming had to be abandoned and the sequence never got to the screen. While Emery used the character for comedic effect he made it quite clear that he had little sympathy for the fellow: "The only way he and his kind can draw themselves the attention they crave in the face of indifference and rejection is to resort to a group identity and commit petty acts of senseless violence. And the press and media play a major part in encouraging them by satisfying the desire to be noticed and reporting the extent of the damage and trouble caused. At last, the Bovver Boys have produced a reaction from an otherwise preoccupied society."

Interviewer: Excuse me, sir.
Bovver Boy: Yer?
Interviewer: Is there anything in life that you feel you've missed?
Bovver Boy: Yer. I never learnt to drive.
Interviewer: That's no great handicap, not being able to drive.
Bovver Boy: It is when you're a car thief.

raging_rapid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
I've had a look at that site. Its home page mentions 'original' but as far as I can see from the pictures it appears to concentrate mostly on the revival, apart from a few pics cribbed from here and there on the net. I'll certainly see whether there is anything there which we can use though.

Yeah, they're simply calling for information. They've a few other websites, on the links page, that might prove more fruitful.

E.g., http://www.freewebs.com/skins/

esswhykay

Reaction score
I saw this photo by Terry Spencer at the street photography exhibit at the Museum of London the other day:
e-coverc-cara-spencer-courtesy-museum-of-london.jpg

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes that is a very famous Photo, Taken from about six different angles. Classic.

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Photos.
There's a well-known shot of four skinheads walking past a group of hippie-ish people who are sitting on some steps; I think one of the skins is called Gerry Rayner. Does anyone know someone called Gerry Rayner? It's worth a try.

Originally Posted by esswhykay
I saw this photo by Terry Spencer at the street photography exhibit at the Museum of London the other day:

Bit of a reminder...

Alex Roest

Reaction score
1969 'Mods', Borehamwood

In the North London suburb of Borehamwood, this gang of youths display the latest 'mod' style. The mod culture demanded that fashions constantly changed, so successive age groups developed their own look that differed from the early 1960s original. These youths have moved into the direction of 'hard mods', who rejected the finery of other mods and the hippies. The photo hints at Black style influences as well as the developing skinhead trend, particularly with the cropped hairstyles of both the girls and boys. There were distinct variations in dress between mods from different areas of London.

IN7434.jpg

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex Roest
1969 'Mods', Borehamwood In the North London suburb of Borehamwood, this gang of youths display the latest 'mod' style. The mod culture demanded that fashions constantly changed, so successive age groups developed their own look that differed from the early 1960s original. These youths have moved into the direction of 'hard mods', who rejected the finery of other mods and the hippies. The photo hints at Black style influences as well as the developing skinhead trend, particularly with the cropped hairstyles of both the girls and boys. There were distinct variations in dress between mods from different areas of London.
IN7434.jpg

Borehamwood Became a New Town, in the 50s/60s to accommodate Families From the Slum Clearance of North and North West London, Many would have moved up there in their Teens taking the latest London fashions with them. Apparently they had a fairly big mob and had a few run ins with the Burt Oak Mob which was only 5 miles away in NW London.

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
Borehamwood Became a New Town, in the 50s/60s to accommodate Families From the Slum Clearance of North and North West London, Many would have moved up there in their Teens taking the latest London fashions with them.
Apparently they had a fairly big mob and had a few run ins with the Burt Oak Mob which was only 5 miles away in NW London.

I'd posted up that particular pic before of course but was previously unaware of the fact that the 'hippie pic' belonged to the same photographer really. I only just found the accompanying text which in turn led to some additional comments, nice one and good teamwork again methinks
smile.gif

albion

Reaction score
I found a few more pics of what i believe are early skinheads/hard mods. Not sure if they have been posted before, but they are interesting none the less.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads