• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt opinions

miketcooper

Reaction score
Good advice there. Thanks.

To the second (and third) part of my question:

Has any one tried their suits (espec. the Black label range)? Critique?

And they have shoes that are stated as UK made (Loake I'm assuming) but am I safe to assume that those shoes where country of origin is not mentioned (their entire standard range pretty much), are not UK in origin? They employ interesting tactics in hiding the "made in" on the sole with the other shoe in the photos.

Leather man

Reaction score
Bottom line is I like Charles Tyrwhitt. However, they went down market about 5 years ago. You notice this especially in their casual shirts and chinos - still good quality but nothing special. Their formal shirts seem as good as ever though with less choice in the Sea Island range.

The prices reflect this drop - they were once the same as Harvie and Hudson are now - 3 shirts for £99 etc.

You are quite correct - their "full price" is a ploy - they appear on the net at the full price for a few days before the catalogue is posted out - so its not a lie but only the unwise ever pay it! However they are good value - better than Marks and Spencer by far.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have ordered a couple of shirts and -to try it out- one jacket (coat) from them. I would recommend to order only buttoned shirts and use them for freetime and leisure: those with button down collars and button cuffs were ok but one that I ordered was a solid with turn back cuffs and it wasn't good: the collar lifts off.

The coat, I actually cannot recommend: although such fancy stuff as workable sleeve-buttons *gasp*
wink.gif
and those angled flap pockets + ticket pocket are attached, the fabric & construction simply looks a bit cheap. So I'd say: if you really wanted to order a coat from them, then under all circs go for a one-coloured and not patterned one, but all in all: don't.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HarleyBob
It would help us in the US if we didn't have to pay the VAT on their UK site. For some reason, they believe that non-EU citizens should pay the same price as EU citizens. Thus, they collect the 20% premium, don't call it VAT and keep it. I fail to see the logic here, but oh well, we can buy off the US site without the 20% quasi-VAT penalty and only pay a 50% premium to the UK prices (19.95 UK price @ 1.65 conversion rate vs. the $50/shirt US price.) It is obvious they don't want US customers unless they are willing to pay a significant premium to their UK customers. US companies do this in reverse to EU citizens so I guess all is fair in love and sartorial war.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Yes, it sucks that you no longer get the VAT back, but its still cheaper on the UK website.

I don't love their pricing policy or strategy, but for a decent shirt at $40, who am I to *****.

Ordering from Canada, using the UK website, I always had the VAT deducted when I placed the sale. Of course, the postman would arrive with his hand out to collect the Canadian taxes anyhow, so it evened out.
facepalm.gif

(Most of the time ...
devil.gif
)

Hopefully that hasn't changed recently.
eh.gif

Originally Posted by miketcooper

And they have shoes that are stated as UK made (Loake I'm assuming) but am I safe to assume that those shoes where country of origin is not mentioned (their entire standard range pretty much), are not UK in origin? They employ interesting tactics in hiding the "made in" on the sole with the other shoe in the photos.

The shoes ... if you get the Make In England ones (generally it's just the calf ones) then they are okay quality ... the leather is a bit stiff and cardboardy compared to other Northampton shoes I've handled. But I guess okay at the price.

As with everything else on the CT website, they'll do all they can to not actually trick you but let you delude yourself that something might be made in England (or Italy, &c) but unless they actually say "Made In England" for that specific item ... it's made in China or some other unidentified and unmarketable (but cheap-labour) country. Not that they are any different in this from any other similar retailer ...

As for the suits, they are okay at the price, but ... (that should be the CT motto or something.
lol8[1].gif
) The fabric seems a little underwhelming, and on one model (a standard charcoal 3-piece suit) the fabric is so fuzzy (from short-fibred wool no doubt) that the pants are always sticking to my socks.
frown.gif
I bought them to get a few inexpensive 3-piece suits for travelling, and the vests only come in one length which is a bit too short for those of us tall enough to ponder between a regular and a long.

Also, the suits all come with working buttonholes. Ct markets that as a benefit ... ooh how lucky you are to have a suit with W.B. when any other suit with W.B. costs thousands more ... but the W.B. are a real P.I.T.A. when it comes to having your sleeves shortened more than say a quarter inch.
facepalm.gif
Unless the suits fit you exactly in the sleeve right off the rack, you will be paying a tailor a lot of money to shorten the sleeves from the shoulder.
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

E TF

Reaction score

I visited the Barker factory shop near Northampton last year and there were several CT-branded shoes for sale, so I presume it's Barker who make their "made in England" shoes, or some of them at least. Might as well go direct to the source for them - I've always felt it's best to go to a shoe shop for shoes, a shirt shop for shirts, etc - though it has to be said a CT shop is a handy place if you're in need of something and pressed for time. I like the service at CT as well; helpful, no nonsense, no quibble returns etc.

kasakka

Reaction score
After a shitload of hassle (sending wrong size back, they sending a 40S labeled 40L, sending that back and finally getting the 40L that is actually 40L) I've finally received the grey Prince of Wales Black label suit. Got the whole three piece. Button quality is again suspect, the cuff buttons (working buttons by the way so best to get the right sleeve length from the start) look scratched and one of them has what I can best describe as something reminiscent of dried super glue. I'll have to see if it comes off. The waistcoat on the other hand has no such issues and neither did the two jackets I had previously. Overall the stitching on this jacket isn't the best, especially around the buttoniere (sloppy) and cuffs (some frayed string ends). Might be just whoever made this having a bad day, honestly I didn't inspect the other jackets I had this carefully since I was more concerned with size. Overall the suit jacket has some nice details like a multicolour flap on the pockets. It's worth mentioning that like the suit's lining, the waistcoat back is also pink which IMO isn't an ideal color to go with grey. I really like the styling of the waistcoat, would be nice to see lapels come back to them. It says tailored fit but as I mentioned before, their tailored fit is still nowhere near slim. I think it could be easily 1-2 inches slimmer at the waist and the same is true with the waistcoat. The trousers are perfect though. If you are normal weight (meaning not fit but don't have a gut either) I wouldn't bother with anything that says "classic fit" from CT. If you happen to be skinny or athletic build then I'd look elsewhere altogether. PS. If the non-English shoes are made by Loake they're probably made in India like the Loake Gunnys I have. To be honest I don't notice much of a difference in quality between the afore-mentioned Loakes and my Barker Wallaces.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
I've got about 15 CT shirts and wear them regularly. Compared to Lewin (which I also wear) I find CT shirts are more conservatively patterned, and based on the appearance of the models the line seems aimed at the above-30 crowd. But many of their patterns are unavailable in conventional stores, so it's good enough for me. I always bought on the multi-buys, and for about $50/shirt you can't go wrong, as others have said. I like their casual shrits because they have combinations that I've never seen before locally (like silk/linen).

I've never tried their shoes, but the calf ones are the only ones made in the UK, and at that they are either Loake or Barker. Certainly not bad quality-wise (and if you're in North America you'll be better shod than about 90% of the men out there), but if you buy the equivalent model from Loake or Barker you'll pay less.

I have one of their suits (3-piece) and their 42R fits me perfectly. The suit hangs well and is comfortable, so I can't complain. Lewin suits seem a bit more form-fitting (and flattering) before alterations. I also have a CT covert coat - awesome, it's my go-to in fall.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to buy CT all the time pre-SF, and I stopped because the shirts were extremely baggy on me. I started getting online budget MTM shirts that fit much better, however I don't think the fabric quality is as good as what I had on my old CT shirts.

Later on, I realized that my CT shirts were too big because I was wearing the wrong size. For style n00bs, don't rely on what a sales associate says you should wear...in the mid-town store in NYC, they measured my neck to be 16.5, when in fact it should be 15.5. Since I didn't know anything about proper fit, I just bought what they told me, and ended up wearing shirts that were way too big for a couple years.

Now that I know my size and have dialed in each measurement after having all my MTM shirts made, I'm giving the CT tailored fit a try. I checked the tailored fit measurements for a 15.5 neck on CT's website, and they're actually pretty close to the measurements for my MTM shirts. The only problem might be that CT only offers a 15.5/35 as the longest sleeve length for that neck size. I may need a 15.5/36.

I just placed an order for some 15.5/35 tailored fit shirts, so if the sleeve length is too short, then I guess I'll have to return them and try somewhere else for a well-fitting OTR shirt. If the sleeves are long enough, then I'll have some very nice and well-fitting shirts for the price!

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I purchased a blue staple sport coat from them this winter. Initially I was looking for a beater coat that I could wear both to the office and out afterward (which tends to get a bit messy). Given the fact that the jacket was going to be a beater and that I had just graduated from school and had limited funds, I decided $200 was good enough. I will say (aside from a few small alterations) the jacket fit great out of the box. Shoulders fit very well and the working button sleeves fit perfectly (thank god). Only issue that I had was that it was purported to be 100% cotton on the site. Living in the South, winters are mild so I wasn't in need of anything heavy. I was a bit disappointed to find that the jacket was more of a brushed cotton and very heavy. In certain lighting it can even appear to be corduroy, which I was disappointingly informed of by a young lady one night out. While the jacket fit well I would definitely do some investigating into what the fabric is actually like. While this is always an issue ordering online, I'd check around for reviews or even email CT directly, lest you have a young lady thinking you are (gasp) wearing corduroy.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i bought their "rolls royce" top of the line shirt. not worth the money by a long shot. nice silky feel but very thin fabric that wrinkles when you breath on it. the lesser priced shirts would most likely be good workhorse shirts. i also found their customer service to be excellent. they went beyond the call of duty for me.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
I used to buy CT all the time pre-SF, and I stopped because the shirts were extremely baggy on me. I started getting online budget MTM shirts that fit much better, however I don't think the fabric quality is as good as what I had on my old CT shirts.

Later on, I realized that my CT shirts were too big because I was wearing the wrong size. For style n00bs, don't rely on what a sales associate says you should wear...in the mid-town store in NYC, they measured my neck to be 16.5, when in fact it should be 15.5. Since I didn't know anything about proper fit, I just bought what they told me, and ended up wearing shirts that were way too big for a couple years.

Now that I know my size and have dialed in each measurement after having all my MTM shirts made, I'm giving the CT tailored fit a try. I checked the tailored fit measurements for a 15.5 neck on CT's website, and they're actually pretty close to the measurements for my MTM shirts. The only problem might be that CT only offers a 15.5/35 as the longest sleeve length for that neck size. I may need a 15.5/36.

I just placed an order for some 15.5/35 tailored fit shirts, so if the sleeve length is too short, then I guess I'll have to return them and try somewhere else for a well-fitting OTR shirt. If the sleeves are long enough, then I'll have some very nice and well-fitting shirts for the price!

CT offers 37" sleeves in a 15.5"neck size and, for an additional $11.95, you can have the sleeves shortened in 1/2" increments. I have a 15.5/36.5 shirt on the way as a test. So you CAN get 15.5/36 shirts from CT for an up-charge of $11.95.

arvidg

Reaction score
Just to chime in, I'm happy with my CT shirts.

(I buy classic fit, a.k.a. tents, to accomodate my stomach, but that's another story.)

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
CT offers 37" sleeves in a 15.5"neck size and, for an additional $11.95, you can have the sleeves shortened in 1/2" increments. I have a 15.5/36.5 shirt on the way as a test. So you CAN get 15.5/36 shirts from CT for an up-charge of $11.95.

Which fit did you get on your shirt? I checked Classic and Slim, and they both have 15.5/36 as an option, but Tailored fit only went up to 15.5/35....if I wanted a custom sleeve length, they could only do shorter, not longer.

The only Tailored fit shirts that had a 15.5/37 sleeve length was their Black Label, but I wasn't about to shell out $115 for one of those when I could get basically 3 standard Tailored fit shirts for the same price.

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse

Now that I know my size and have dialed in each measurement after having all my MTM shirts made, I'm giving the CT tailored fit a try.

I just bought CT tailored fit shirts for the first time. I wanted some cheap white shirts and thought these sounded like a good deal.

Even the tailored fit (slimmer than their slim line) are pretty huge, especially around the arms.

Worse, the collar is at about half an inch larger than the marked size. I'm left hoping that there is quite a bit of shrinking after the first wash.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads