• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suspenders and Pant Size/Shape

clemente21

Reaction score
I'm sick of hiking up suit pants and having my shirt mushroom over a belt, so I'm making the move to suspenders. Should I start buying suit pants that are slightly larger at the waist to accommodate the new higher fit? (if so, how many more inches than on a pair of jeans)? Any recommendations on brands or styles with a pant that is meant to hit a little higher? Thanks.

DrPsycho

Reaction score
If your shirts are mushrooming badly, they're probably cut too roomy around your middle. Consider slimmer fitting shirts or getting some of your favorites tailored to fit better.

Dunno if I'd go up on the waist size. Just make sure you're not buying low-rise trousers or you're going to end up propelling your testicles up into your throat.

Archivist

Reaction score
Yes, having the pants just a little loose works well with braces, and keeps the shirt from riding up.
Also, it works better if the pants are either cut for braces, or at least a little high waisted, by today's standards. You really want to have the pants sitting at your natural waist.

LanceW

Reaction score
Look for longer rise and add a half inch to accommodate the buttons. Also look at adding another buttonhole to the bottom of your shirts to keep them snug.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archivist
Yes, having the pants just a little loose works well with braces, and keeps the shirt from riding up. Also, it works better if the pants are either cut for braces, or at least a little high waisted, by today's standards. You really want to have the pants sitting at your natural waist.
A bit off topic, but do belt less and suspender less self adjusting skirts and trousers (with the required side adjusters/tabs and with or without the strongly recommended rear adjuster/tab) also have to be higher rise? If so, do they have to be looser fitting or tighter fitting? The Italians often favor belt less and suspender less self adjusting skirts and trousers as I described above. From what I understand, the Italians hate (and I really do mean hate) suspenders.

clemente21

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archivist
Yes, having the pants just a little loose works well with braces, and keeps the shirt from riding up.
Also, it works better if the pants are either cut for braces, or at least a little high waisted, by today's standards. You really want to have the pants sitting at your natural waist.

any recommendations on brands/styles that are cut at natural waist?

Skronnie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
A bit off topic, but do belt less and suspender less (or brace less, as people overseas would say) self adjusting skirts (for women only) and (for men and women) trousers (with the required side adjusters/tabs with or without the strongly recommended read adjuster/tab) also have to be higher rise? If so, do they have to be looser fitting or tighter fitting?

The Italians (particularly the Milanese and Romans) often favor (especially for formal wear) belt less and suspender less self adjusting skirts (again, for women only) and (again, for men and women) trousers as I described above. From what I understand, the Italians (especially Italian women and the Neapolitans; most of all, Neapolitan Italian women) hate (and I really do mean hate) suspenders (or, as people overseas would call them, braces), even for formal wear and especially for everything other than formal wear.

Holy parenthetical insertion Batman! Man, please work on correct sentence structure. It's really hard to care about what you're trying to say here when I have to filter the meaning from a bunch of clumsily inserted clarifications.

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clemente21
any recommendations on brands/styles that are cut at natural waist?

Well, the best way is to get them made. That doesn't have to mean bespoke, you can look into MTM. Check better men's stores in your area. Consider the fact that the natural waist is going to be different on different men. Generally, it's more or less around your navel.

Also, when I say a little lose, I don't mean the things will fall down around your ankles when not secured. Just ask for a bit of ease in the waist. Again, if you are at a good men's shop, talk to them and they should know what you need for wearing braces.

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
A bit off topic, but do belt less and suspender less (or brace less, as people overseas would say) self adjusting skirts (for women only) and (for men and women) trousers (with the required side adjusters/tabs with or without the strongly recommended read adjuster/tab) also have to be higher rise? If so, do they have to be looser fitting or tighter fitting?

The Italians (particularly the Milanese and Romans) often favor (especially for formal wear) belt less and suspender less self adjusting skirts (again, for women only) and (again, for men and women) trousers as I described above. From what I understand, the Italians (especially Italian women and the Neapolitans; most of all, Neapolitan Italian women) hate (and I really do mean hate) suspenders (or, as people overseas would call them, braces), even for formal wear and especially for everything other than formal wear.

I'm curious about that myself. I've never had a pair of trousers with a rear adjuster. I'm curious if it's any different from the side tabs, or just accomplishes the same thing. Self adjusting suggests they tend to sit at the right spot all by themselves. I'm skeptical, I'd expect them to fall a bit towards the hips. However, as I say, never had a pair like that, I'd be interested in hearing an informed report.

E TF

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen a pair of trousers with a rear adjuster that doesn't also have buttons for braces. I own a few with both and the rear adjuster seems to be there just for decoration. I suppose it might take up a bit of slack if one happened to loose a little weight, but you'd still need the braces. Side adjusters work alright with or without braces however.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Skronnie
Holy parenthetical insertion Batman! Man, please work on correct sentence structure. It's really hard to care about what you're trying to say here when I have to filter the meaning from a bunch of clumsily inserted clarifications.
Holy parenthetical removal Batman! Check my message again, Skronnie (I just edited it again at 4:08PM Eastern Daylight Time).

lenahan

Reaction score
For suits, Ralph Lauren trousers, especially when pleated, are good for this. Avoid flat front, low rise, and flat front, and flat front. Nothing is more uncomfortable than attempting to wear flat fronts at you waist, let alone with braces. If you are interested in side adjusters, most tailors can make them by removing the belt loops and fashioning them into adjusters. For casual trousers, like Khakis in cotton, most brands that I find have more than enough raise. Just remember to make sure the waist size is correct.

clemente21

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lenahan
For suits, Ralph Lauren trousers, especially when pleated, are good for this. Avoid flat front, low rise, and flat front, and flat front. Nothing is more uncomfortable than attempting to wear flat fronts at you waist, let alone with braces. If you are interested in side adjusters, most tailors can make them by removing the belt loops and fashioning them into adjusters. For casual trousers, like Khakis in cotton, most brands that I find have more than enough raise. Just remember to make sure the waist size is correct.

Ok, will look at RL and the numerous posts around here on their various brands. Is there any reason to add side adjusters when wearing suspenders?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads