• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tang

Reaction score
For Baron Lee, i believe Peter Lee is the guy that most SFers deal with, as for AC, I understand that they have multiple branches in HK. Is there any particular one that you guys would recommend and who should i look for? Peninsula Hotel?

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
delete

Wongtouski

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tang
For Baron Lee, i believe Peter Lee is the guy that most SFers deal with, as for AC, I understand that they have multiple branches in HK. Is there any particular one that you guys would recommend and who should i look for? Peninsula Hotel?

I posted about AC a while back, a minor gripe about their IFC store because they seemed to look confused that a young guy made an appointment to check out shirts. They didn't say anything as I sat there and just browsed through the Fabrics. Obviously this is an isolated incident, but when I posted this someone told me to hit up Peninsula next time, I have yet to do it becuz I'm busy but will definitely do so.

Wongtouski

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Kind of the answer I was expecting. I'm just graduating high school and I'm not looking at buying something that will last me a while in case I grow out of it, and I won't be able to maintain a higher end suit properly anyway. Looks like I'll just go back to my guy.
G2000 buddy, my go-to Highschool/Post Highschool suits. Dirt cheap even on regular price, and it's good to wear for random dinners/recruitment events in Uni edit: Zara ain't bad either.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wongtouski
I posted about AC a while back, a minor gripe about their IFC store because they seemed to look confused that a young guy made an appointment to check out shirts. They didn't say anything as I sat there and just browsed through the Fabrics. Obviously this is an isolated incident, but when I posted this someone told me to hit up Peninsula next time, I have yet to do it becuz I'm busy but will definitely do so.

Its not an isolated incident, I can attest. If they don't give a damn about you, why should you care about them, just walk away.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tang

Go to the Peninsula hotel and ask for Nelson.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nelson will be out to US next week for about a month, IIRC.
Prince Bldg and Peninsula are the best AC shops in term of customer service. I don't like IFC shop staff except the lady who is always polite and smile.

wizards11

Reaction score
where is a good tailor for shirts? have tried peter lee, they seems OK, any hk tailor better with that price range (maybe a little more)? heard about david's tailor, taipan row. dont want to try jantzen, have been there and i was invisible to them

eastvillager

Reaction score
Thought I would report on my experience with Lee Baron in TST. It was my first time getting anything made and I am fairly pleased with the results.

I went in on a Wednesday, got measured, and had them make a generic white shirt with a cheap fabric. Went back the next day, tried it on and it fit pretty much exactly as I'd hoped. I said I liked it slim and it was slim. Quality seemed good enough, so I picked out a dozen fabrics and got them made.

The results were excellent for most of the shirts. I have a big neck for my chest size, so the only shirts that came close to fitting in the body were way small at the neck. Not so with these shirts. They are basically exactly what I was looking to get. The price came out to about $750 for a dozen shirts using his most expensive fabrics and MOP buttons.

Here's what I wish I had known going in:
1. Some of the fabrics should not be darted for aesthetic reasons: thick oxford or any heavyweight fabric just doesn't look right. The darts are easy enough to remove, happily.
2. I might also recommend that you go slightly less slim with stiffer cloth, as a comfort thing.
3. This is the most important. Bring fabric or make sure the ones you pick are sufficiently opaque. I was picking out of his most expensive fabric books and didn't realize until it was too late that some of the fabrics were a bit too sheer. I have never had this problem with OTR shirts in America, but I will either bring fabric next time or be more vigilant of this issue. It might be because HK is such a warm climate that everyone wants thinner cloth there, but it was bad enough on a few of the fabrics for me not to wear them.

All in all, I am very pleased with most of the shirts and I don't plan on going OTR ever again.

LaymanX

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eastvillager
Thought I would report on my experience with Lee Baron in TST. It was my first time getting anything made and I am fairly pleased with the results.

I went in on a Wednesday, got measured, and had them make a generic white shirt with a cheap fabric. Went back the next day, tried it on and it fit pretty much exactly as I'd hoped. I said I liked it slim and it was slim. Quality seemed good enough, so I picked out a dozen fabrics and got them made.

The results were excellent for most of the shirts. I have a big neck for my chest size, so the only shirts that came close to fitting in the body were way small at the neck. Not so with these shirts. They are basically exactly what I was looking to get. The price came out to about $750 for a dozen shirts using his most expensive fabrics and MOP buttons.

Here's what I wish I had known going in:
1. Some of the fabrics should not be darted for aesthetic reasons: thick oxford or any heavyweight fabric just doesn't look right. The darts are easy enough to remove, happily.
2. I might also recommend that you go slightly less slim with stiffer cloth, as a comfort thing.
3. This is the most important. Bring fabric or make sure the ones you pick are sufficiently opaque. I was picking out of his most expensive fabric books and didn't realize until it was too late that some of the fabrics were a bit too sheer. I have never had this problem with OTR shirts in America, but I will either bring fabric next time or be more vigilant of this issue. It might be because HK is such a warm climate that everyone wants thinner cloth there, but it was bad enough on a few of the fabrics for me not to wear them.

All in all, I am very pleased with most of the shirts and I don't plan on going OTR ever again.

That's great to hear! I'm waiting on my first shirt from Peter Lee myself. So far, he's been a total pleasure to deal with.

vinveritas

Reaction score
Would you guys know if Lee Baron takes account of and makes allowance for inevitable cotton shrinkage? Are the fabrics preshrunk or the shirts intentionally made bigger to allow for shrinkage? Would this be a practice with WW Chan's bespoke shirts as well? Many thanks for those who may have the answers.

krakatoa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinveritas
Would this be a practice with WW Chan's bespoke shirts as well?

Yes, according to Chan. Moreover, I've not noticed any shrinkage in my Chan shirts.

mrbitterpants

Reaction score
Of the HK Tailors recommended in this thread, would any particular one of them be better for a more modern silhouette like a Thom Browne or Dior (fitted, skinny lapel, sharper angles)? From what I've seen most of them seem to be a little more traditional.

Also, would any of them be recommended for knocking off blazers from some more avant garde labels (eg, Rick Owens, _Julius, etc) especially as it relates to the more unusual fabrics these brands tend to use?

Thanks in advance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics