• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Identify these Allen Edmonds shoes

mgz

Reaction score
I just got these for a song at eBay, and i have a few questions to those of you who knows stuff about things. The seller said they are Townleys, but I´ve been unable to find Townley wingtips anywhere. So what are they?

Also, the listing said "cordovan colored", which I decode as "Cordovan? Oh no, not these!" Or are they? I think they look a bit like the Cambridge model, but I´m not sure.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

mgz

Skjermbilde%2B2011-01-25%2Bkl.%2B13.57.48.png

Skjermbilde%2B2011-01-25%2Bkl.%2B14.08.32.png

Skjermbilde%2B2011-01-25%2Bkl.%2B14.09.01.png

Skjermbilde%2B2011-01-25%2Bkl.%2B14.09.21.png

Omega Man

Reaction score
Looks like the old Cambridge. AE changes the model names very often. Don't think they are cordovan, the creases gave them away. AE only has a couple model made with cordovan.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Per the Spring 1990 AE catalog, the 4777 is the burgundy polished cobbler Townley.

That would match up to the numbers inside your shoes.

From the description in the 1990 catalog, it appears to be close to the McAllister but uses the 7 last which is not as long and narrow as the 5 last used on the McAllister.

Chris

mgz

Reaction score
Hey, thanks!

So, not cordovan, but still nice for nine dollars.

Kurt N

Reaction score
For most people, including a lot of ebay sellers, cordovan is a color, i.e. burgundy. A seller who knows that it's a type of leather will use the word "shell."

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgz
Hey, thanks!

So, not cordovan, but still nice for nine dollars.

Not bad at all. Send them back to Allen Edmonds for a $100 recraft and you will have a near new pair of wingtips for a good price!

Chris

mgz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hohneokc
Not bad at all. Send them back to Allen Edmonds for a $100 recraft and you will have a near new pair of wingtips for a good price!

Chris

Yeah, that was the plan until I saw that they´d already been resoled, and not by Allen Edmonds. Does anyone know if it´s still possible to recraft them?

Skjermbilde%2B2011-01-27%2Bkl.%2B20.15.15.png

Also, does Allen Edmonds recraft factory seconds? I got a pair of "W" stamped Park Avenues who need a bit of love.

Thanks!

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Key difference between the Townley and the Cambridge: The Townley is what's called a blind brogue. If you look closely, it's actually a wholecut, made out of one piece of leather. The stitching framing the brogue holes is just for decoration. Compare that to the Cambridge, on which the uppers are actually made out of six or eight different pieces sewn together. The stitching framing the brogue holes on the Cambridge actually holds the uppers together.

Personally I find the concept of a blind full brogue somewhat odd, and that particular pattern is very characteristic of the '80s with its low-cut sides and short throat (lacing area).

Originally Posted by mgz
Yeah, that was the plan until I saw that they´d already been resoled, and not by Allen Edmonds. Does anyone know if it´s still possible to recraft them?

Also, does Allen Edmonds recraft factory seconds? I got a pair of "W" stamped Park Avenues who need a bit of love.

Thanks!

AE is hit or miss as regards shoes that have been worked on by other cobblers. The only way to know if they'll do them is to send them in. But, honestly, I wouldn't waste $95 on those Townleys. They're a dated style and made from poor quality leather. You can find something better for the same price or not much more if you keep looking.

Getting the PA seconds recrafted should be no problem.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgz
Thanks!

Those are not fully resoled. They have had half soles applied. You may want to email Allen Edmonds the photo of the soles when inquiring as to whether or not they will agree to work on them for you.

PC TIP:
If you have Photoshop (or equivalent) you can 'save as' that photo at 50% of the original.
The physical size of the photo will remain unchanged, but the file size will be 1/10th in Mb,
and transmit faster.
teacha.gif

allaboutshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

facet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by allaboutshoes
I was looking at the Allen Edmonds Boston where they show how the 270 construction is. In any event, they show it on this shoe. Can someone help me identify it? They don't have it on their site (ignore the circles. That's just how they show different features of the shoe)

Those are the Augusta. I just bought a pair and seem to be pretty lucky to find them as they are discontinued. It's built on their 0 last, if I remember correctly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads