• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
AIRES_AMTEUS_CASA_AREIA_230110_0002_230110_0293_full.jpg
AIRES_AMTEUS_CASA_AREIA_230110_0002_230110_0445_full.jpg
dzn_Casa-Areia-by-Aires-Mateus-Architects-2.jpg
AIRES_MATEUS_CASA_AREIA_240110_1045_full.jpg
AIRES_AMTEUS_CASA_AREIA_230110_0002_230110_0503_full.jpg

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I come here for StephenHero's posts and I stay for... well, I don't stay -- I get the hell out of dodge as soon as the catty architecture pedantry ensues. (I'm sure one or more of you are right, but I want nothing of it! Just give me more pics!!)

The beach cabana with sand floor is suuuuper cute.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
I come here for StephenHero's posts and I stay for... well, I don't stay -- I get the hell out of dodge as soon as the catty architecture pedantry ensues. (I'm sure one or more of you are right, but I want nothing of it! Just give me more pics!!)

The beach cabana with sand floor is suuuuper cute.

Call me catty, then, but I'd say that that sums up the problem with this thread in 4 sentences.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
Call me catty, then, but I'd say that that sums up the problem with this thread in 4 sentences.

Don't get me wrong. I'd heartily welcome your suggestions of monographs on the subject. But the tit-for-tat that goes on in here seldom resembles enjoyable discussion. Maybe I'm not sufficiently acclimatized to BBS etiquette, I dunno.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
Don't get me wrong. I'd heartily welcome your suggestions of monographs on the subject. But the tit-for-tat that goes on in here seldom resembles enjoyable discussion. Maybe I'm not sufficiently acclimatized to BBS etiquette, I dunno.
What is "BBS"? What is "BBS etiquette"? I don't know these terms. I'm not sure to what "tit-for-tat" you are referring. I haven't read much of that since I joined SF (recently) and first read this thread. Perhaps there is some of that; it would not be a rarity among architects, unfortunately. What strikes me more in this thread is that it appears that any possibility of real dialogue has been drowned out by the predominant content; that is to say: primarily by the manner in which it is posted. Ironically, I find that the most pedantic and catty comments you cite often come from the very inspiration you quote, which is troubling. Any non-supportive (questioning, critical, diasgreeing) comments are generally treated with haughty arrogance and outright disdain, often with little real substance. Is that really so interesting? Please do not misunderstand me: the poster you cite has a good eye; I suspect, however, that he is not a practicing architect. Many pretty photos are posted, in rabid spurts...some of great projects, most of average but interesting ones, some excruciatingly trendy...and all of that is OK.... However: these are accompanied by 0 commentary, 0 stance, 0 sources even. I find that very strange, and very light. To me, this thread is basically (or has become, I don't know, I haven't read it all) a pretty boring stock-photo deluge; a virtual, superficial coffee-table spread, I assume c/p'd from various subscribed blogs, etc. Not really a real "architecture thread", in any case. Architecture (and the discussion of it) does not exist in such a vacuum; without dialogue any discourse becomes drivel. I would much prefer to hear the true heart and mind behind the posted images, even if the message was not as clean as the presentation. As a result, as an architect I find this thread fairly superficial, given this lop-sided slant, and am therefore less motivated to really participate. It's a pity; I think there could be so much more, but this current context is pretty stifling. On the other hand, if it inspires some (and I truly hope it does), that's great. All that being said, if you have read this far and have not been drowned out by a bunch of other silent images, I (and others, of course) can certainly try to provide a list of monographs, especially if you can perhaps further specify your interests and/or experience. The subject is vast, and the interpretations many.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Let's have a Penn Station tribute for Memorial Day. It was New York's greatest piece of architecture. It's destruction represents everything that is wrong with the world. Let us weep.
5780533544_e8eb781090_b.jpg

800px-Old_Penn_Station_NY_exterior.jpg

119989pu.1.jpg

5779955595_d85963b0f7_b.jpg

penn%2B3.jpg
3c18801u.jpg

Penn_Station__1910.jpeg.jpg
119996pu.1.jpg

Penn_Station_interior.jpg

True Patriots:
picture-164.jpg

Last edited:

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Another great building lost forever: Cincinatti's Main Public Library 1874-1955
5780571422_040829701c_b.jpg
5780570634_a836b5190a_b.jpg
1874bld.jpg
Replaced with this:
1955bld.jpg
God Dammit

alexanduh

Reaction score
quality posts.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
What strikes me more in this thread is that it appears that any possibility of real dialogue has been drowned out by the predominant content; that is to say: primarily by the manner in which it is posted. Ironically, I find that the most pedantic and catty comments you cite often come from the very inspiration you quote, which is troubling. Any non-supportive (questioning, critical, diasgreeing) comments are generally treated with haughty arrogance and outright disdain, often with little real substance. Is that really so interesting? Please do not misunderstand me: the poster you cite has a good eye; I suspect, however, that he is not a practicing architect. Many pretty photos are posted, in rabid spurts...some of great projects, most of average but interesting ones, some excruciatingly trendy...and all of that is OK.... However: these are accompanied by 0 commentary, 0 stance, 0 sources even. I find that very strange, and very light. To me, this thread is basically (or has become, I don't know, I haven't read it all) a pretty boring stock-photo deluge; a virtual, superficial coffee-table spread, I assume c/p'd from various subscribed blogs, etc. Not really a real "architecture thread", in any case. .
Can you do everyone a favor and shut the **** up? Roughly 100% of your posts in this thread suck. Thanks.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
o me, this thread is basically (or has become, I don't know, I haven't read it all) a pretty boring stock-photo deluge; a virtual, superficial coffee-table spread, I assume c/p'd from various subscribed blogs, etc. Not really a real "architecture thread", in any case. Architecture (and the discussion of it) does not exist in such a vacuum; without dialogue any discourse becomes drivel. I would much prefer to hear the true heart and mind behind the posted images, even if the message was not as clean as the presentation. As a result, as an architect I find this thread fairly superficial, given this lop-sided slant, and am therefore less motivated to really participate. It's a pity; I think there could be so much more, but this current context is pretty stifling. On the other hand, if it inspires some (and I truly hope it does), that's great. .
Also, what the hell is a real "architecture thread"? You are perfectly free to include any content you feel the thread lacks, but since nobody is obligated to post any specific content to make you stop complaining about everything, there's no reason for you to ***** and moan like a nine year old girl about your unfulfilled needs, especially if you do absolutely nothing to introduce content relevant to your own tastes for others to see. You haven't made a single post in the last 20 or so posts here in which you actually posted a picture. Sometimes, people just want to look at pictures. If that browsing activity isn't compatible with your idea of what this thread should be, either leave, or post something worth a ****. Or go back to the soccer thread and post more stupid **** about Inter Milan. But either way, quit complaining.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads