• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
Saw the weather on the news tonight, wondering if I should take my snorkel and flippers to the Cure on Wednesday night.

Lucky you! I tried to get tickets, but apparently it sold out in "record time" (though, who keeps these records and how accurate they are, I'm not sure).

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Any ideas on where I can pick up a reasonably priced tan belt in Melbourne?

minch

Reaction score
Anyone know a good place in Canberra to get topy-ing done?

cheers

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
Any ideas on where I can pick up a reasonably priced tan belt in Melbourne?

I've been looking for one for months with no success...
plain.gif

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Doesn't Vic Market have them?

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
^^^ Doesn't Vic Market have them?

I was tossing up heading up there one lunch time... need a belt to match my tan boots...

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minch

cheers

Yeah Sydney
lol8[1].gif

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minch

cheers

Never topyed a pair of shoes with leather soles yet and never will. Heard too many bad stories of them not being confortable and also if you get moisture/water in underneath the sole, it's very hard for the shoes to dry out again and the moisture can become trapped and not very nice.

FWIW, I've never had to re sole a pair of leathersoled shoes yet apart from replacing the heel. I'd just advise to get metal toe taps put on and that's all.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
Never topyed a pair of shoes with leather soles yet and never will. Heard too many bad stories of them not being confortable and also if you get moisture/water in underneath the sole, it's very hard for the shoes to dry out again and the moisture can become trapped and not very nice.

FWIW, I've never had to re sole a pair of leathersoled shoes yet apart from replacing the heel. I'd just advise to get metal toe taps put on and that's all.

Yes but eventually you WILL wear out a leather sole, at which point you need to decide whether to suffer the expense of having the shoes re-soled (if they are Goodyear welted) or dispose of them.

I have only recently started topying some of my shoes but so far I have been happy with the result. I have noticed that I get more grip under foot and the soles stay drier when the pavement is wet, which I have appreciated. Whether any problems develop as a result of topying, time will tell. I remain a bit reluctant about topying my best shoes.

bhall41

Reaction score
Sorry
blush.gif

Banana Cognac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
I was tossing up heading up there one lunch time... need a belt to match my tan boots...

DJ's and Myer are having a 40-50% sale beginning tomorrow - im sure you will be able to find something at a reasonable discounted price.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure anything worth buying from Myer and DJs are on the exclusions list.

Still be popping up to DJ melb 3rd floor to have a look though.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bhall41
Yes but eventually you WILL wear out a leather sole, at which point you need to decide whether to suffer the expense of having the shoes re-soled (if they are Goodyear welted) or dispose of them.

I have only recently started topying some of my shoes but so far I have been happy with the result. I have noticed that I get more grip under foot and the soles stay drier when the pavement is wet, which I have appreciated. Whether any problems develop as a result of topying, time will tell. I remain a bit reluctant about topying my best shoes.

Well YMMV but for me personally I don't think I will wear them out. Day to day, my leather soled shoes get very little wear. I go from my place and walk around 50 metres to the garage. Pull up around 10-20 metres from my office, where I stay most of the day (which is carpeted). I'm out often seeing clients but again hopping in the car and pulling up pretty much outside. So for me it's a waste.

I guess I also look at it from the point of view that if I wanted a pair of wet weather shoes, i'd just buy a pair with dainite soles to begin with. Carry on, each to their own.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
for the belt, if you dont need it today and can wait a few weeks, try 'unlucky' if you intrerested pm me, i'll send you hes info, he makes custom leather goods, he made me an awesome messenger bag, and i had him make me a belt too which is fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads