• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

specific excersize and sport health question

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for the past couple of weeks my thumbs have been sore. I was thinking that it was one of two things - either I had some fractures on my thumb bones from boxing, or possibly I was starting to get some kind of pre-arthritis, my mother has arthritis on her hands, and I was thinking that maybe I was starting to get it.

today I was working out, and I realized that when I do standing military barbell presses, all the weight I press ) 120 pounds) pretty much rests on my thumbs. I am now thinking that perhaps that is waht is causing the stress on my thumbs.

frankly, the pain isn't that bad. I was more concerned about long term damage. if the damage is only some muscle pain and it will pass that isn't too bad.

so, here is the question - can I do something to help my thumbs when I do military presses? is this something that I should be worried about?

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could always go with a thumbless "suicide grip"- as long as it's comfortable enough for you, the only possible danger would be dropping the weight. Shouldn't be an issue with the MP though. It's supposed to be a bit less stressful on the shoulders to boot.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds like something is a little wonky with your grip if youre taking that weight on your thumbs.

When I do that lift most of the weight is over the bottom part of my palm.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
What part of your thumb is sore?

if you picture the hand without flesh, it would be about where the thumb bone connects to the hand, and then a little bit up the thumb.

It sounds like something is a little wonky with your grip if youre taking that weight on your thumbs.

When I do that lift most of the weight is over the bottom part of my palm.
that might be the case - I just thought of it today, so maybe I have to play with my grip a little.
[You could always go with a thumbless "suicide grip"- as long as it's comfortable enough for you, the only possible danger would be dropping the weight. Shouldn't be an issue with the MP though. It's supposed to be a bit less stressful on the shoulders to boot.
hmmm, you aren't trying to trick me into crushing my foot, are you?

I honestly don't think that I could handle that wieght that way, but I could try. I think that I will play around with my grip first.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You wear gloves when you workout Z? They make a few models with extra padding around that thumb joint area.

I've always avoided gloves, but now maybe I need to try some. didn't think of that. I am getting older.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I've always avoided gloves, but now maybe I need to try some. didn't think of that. I am getting older.
Go to Sports Authority and pick up a padded pair. Give them a try for a week or two. If it makes a difference, then you found your culprit. If not, take them back for a refund and we can work up some other suggestions.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Go to Sports Authority and pick up a padded pair. Give them a try for a week or two. If it makes a difference, then you found your culprit. If not, take them back for a refund and we can work up some other suggestions.

thanks - that's what I'll do. I'll report back next week or two.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
actually i would recommend chalk over gloves.

when you say military barbell press are you talking about push presses (ie standing barbell shoulder press)?

if so the weight should be on your palms, not your thumb

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I second the gloves with light padding. But GT, if that doesn't do it, then I would suggest that you dial back on the weight or drop that particular exercise all together. There are many other options for a good muscle workout.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the joint that's bothering him would actually be considered part of the palm, and in that case a thumbless grip probably wouldn't do much. I doubt chalk would be useful either- padded gloves might help a bit. I'm thinking of a couple things that might though:

a. You're letting your wrists come too far forward, thereby adding an abnormal amount of stress to that lower thumb joint. You might want to try warm ups with the thumbless grip I mentioned- that could help improve form by keeping you honest so to speak- leaning them too far forward would cause the weight to slip off your palms, or at least feel like it will. You'd want to do these in a "power rack" with the side safety bars at proper height in case you drop the weight.

b. A lack of Vitamin D could be contributing to this. Remember that with Vitamin D, it's not about supplementing X amount of IU's- what you want is to attain the right levels of the hormone in your blood stream. You might already be aware of this info, but if not, get it checked.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks - yeah, that looks like what I am doing. I am not having any other joint pain, so I would be surprised if it was some kind of definciancy. If I can't figure it out I might drop this excerzise, but I'd rather not - it would be a shame to have my thumbs dictate what I can shoulder press.
also it might not be the MP at all, that was just something that seems likely to me. have to keep exploring this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads