• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Small children.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have to say that I am always amazed at how poorly people educate their kids today. I get so many comments on my son (favorable), that it leads me to believe that most parents just dono't put any effort into discipline.

I agree that kids that do not know how to behave should be kept out of the adult world.
I agree that there are places, although few, that kids, no matter how well behaved should not be brought to
and, I understand why a bachlor would want to have nice and fragile things around his house, and would worry about a kid breaking them.

that said - I think that having little kids is one of those things like being young, or being old, or moving house etc - you may be inconvenineced by somebody's kids, slightly, but you were a kid once, you may have kids once, and you need to accept this as part of being a member of a society.

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I have to say that I am always amazed at how poorly people educate their kids today. I get so many comments on my son (favorable), that it leads me to believe that most parents just dono't put any effort into discipline.

I agree that kids that do not know how to behave should be kept out of the adult world.
I agree that there are places, although few, that kids, no matter how well behaved should not be brought to
and, I understand why a bachlor would want to have nice and fragile things around his house, and would worry about a kid breaking them.

that said - I think that having little kids is one of those things like being young, or being old, or moving house etc - you may be inconvenineced by somebody's kids, slightly, but you were a kid once, you may have kids once, and you need to accept this as part of being a member of a society.

Very well said.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will have to agree with you on this one, damn!
smile.gif
!luc

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you were a kid once, you may have kids once, and you need to accept this as part of being a member of a society.
Well said globetrotter. I'd like to expand on your last point if I may. I'm continuously suprised at how many people forget that they were once kids. This point becomes glaringly obvious just by observing how many individuals do not know how to interact with children. In my opinion, it boils down to a lack of sensitivity that is rooted in the idea that kids are somehow inferior human beings. What seperates children from adults is the amount of social engineering that they've gone through. Embracing this idea, rather than viewing it as a fault, is key to interacting with childeren. Their misgivings can then be understood as naiveness rather than a subordinate level of humanity.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The practice of breeding children for their manners was one of the most admirable traits cultivated in the Three Kingdoms and it is well-known that the corruption of this practice by the nouveau aspirational French had its necessary evolution into the barbarism of Gilles de Rais and later the Countess Báthor. Despite their over-enthusiasm, it is easy to recognize the noble and correct sentiment from which their excesses sprang when listening to an American bourgeois footballer mother ranting into her telephone device.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
The practice of breeding children for their manners was one of the most admirable traits cultivated in the Three Kingdoms and it is well-known that the corruption of this practice by the nouveau aspirational French had its necessary evolution into the barbarism of Gilles de Rais and later the Countess Báthor. Despite their over-enthusiasm, it is easy to recognize the noble and correct sentiment from which their excesses sprang when listening to an American bourgeois footballer mother ranting into her telephone device.

That post is incomplete without the mention of Roland Barthes....

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Wel

What seperates children from adults is the amount of social engineering that they've gone through. Embracing this idea, rather than viewing it as a fault, is key to interacting with childeren. Their misgivings can then be understood as naiveness rather than a subordinate level of humanity.

good point

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
That post is incomplete without the mention of Roland Barthes....

Aren't they all?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Yeah, much better the guy who clipped off my wife's side-view mirror while she was sitting at a stop sign and then when she started to get out of the car to ask for his information drove off screaming "Go to hell, c***!" Or the folks you'll find at pretty much any restaurant shrieking into their cell phones the entire evening (and then probably stiffing the server on the tip.) Or the people who dump their food wrappers, empty bottles, and used rubbers on the beach rather than carry them 50 feet to a trash can.
Yes, give me those mature, considerate, socially responsible adults any day . . .

I also can't tolerate bad drivers and their tempers.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Supposedly I was a good kid. But I was a bad teenager. So it all balances out.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
Supposedly I was a good kid. But I was a bad teenager. So it all balances out.

I blame your parents.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I blame bad handwriting. People with good handwriting behave better in public. What you do at night is your business.
But if what you do at night negatively affects your handwriting, do you care?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads