• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have a 'signature-item'?

TourbillonTurk.

Reaction score
In winter my distinct red scarf.

IsteRed

Reaction score
From where i am from pocket squares are so rare that it can be considered a "signature item"

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IsteRed
From where i am from pocket squares are so rare that it can be considered a "signature item"
I can relate to that- I virtually never see pocket squares here, either (...well, I only rarely see suits on the street, too). Even such seemingly banalities like always wearing a shirt and boat-shoes in my middle- and high school days were considered by my colleagues as some sort of my signature items, then (in the late 80s) cause for one only very few students/pupils even wore proper shirts and secondly, boat-shoes as common as they may have been in the US, were quite rare then in Eastern-Central Europe, then...

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerome
Carlisle Blues: I like the fedoras by Herbert Johnson!
Oh yes very nice hats!!!!! I wear Akubra and a few other. Now is time for Panamas here in the US. I have a Brent Black, Worth & Worth, Borsalinos and Stetsons.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few. I have quite a few tie bars that I inherited from my grandfather that I always wear whenever I wear a tie. I always wear a white squared handkerchief. I sometimes wear a fedora, but not every day. My classic Ray Ban aviators. And in Texas, wearing a jacket at all, even (and especially) when you don't have to (i.e. not at work) could be considered signature. Same for a tie.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Yep, these:

18B4hm.jpg

I'm going to need a fit pic of these. You keep mentioning them and now I'm genuinely curious.

Sig. item: handkerchief in pocket (not a pocket square). Serves manifold uses -- everything except blowing your nose.
Wiping glasses, dabbing sweat, impromptu napkin, give to crying women, etc.

My other signature "item" is the absence of items. I try to carry as few things as possible, seldom more than can be grasped in one hand.

Iyor

Reaction score
My custom black fedora with 40's styling.

Mac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
The colour purple. Something close to 70% of my shirts, ties and handkerchiefs are purple.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
laugh.gif

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BLU8
When I have to suit up, I usually wear a white dress shirt, discreet micropattern tie, & white pocket square.
So, no then? Signature items tend to require being in some way unique. You've described something very, very generic. Let me guess- the tie is usually red. The pocket square may be considered fairly rare in many places these days, but it hardly goes far enough for a signature. One of the few real ones I have on a really consistent basis is that I carry a handkerchief or bandanna virtually all the time, typically in the back left pocket. I use it to blow my nose or whatever else (wiping forehead/ hands, rubbing gunk off things, cleaning spills, ect.) hardly a new concept, but very rare in this day and age. I also use a lot more than plain white handkerchiefs or red paisley bandannas, and the variety of interesting different patterns probably adds to the distinctiveness. Dressing for just about anywhere but work, I wear a hat of some sort. Flat caps, fedoras, and even baseball caps in casual settings. No one type of hat really dominates (other than a linen flat cap that gets in very heavy rotation in the summer) but something's often up there. Oh, and someone mentioned tie bars. That's probably a good one, since they're not all that common these days. I wear one anytime I have a tie on.

latindandy

Reaction score
Pale blue cutaway collar shirt with button cuffs.
They are not too common where I live (usually spread collar shirts come with french cuffs). Only RL and Zegna makes them. Mine are MTM since RLBL and EZ are overpriced IMHO.

I'm also a fan of colorful HermÃ
00a9.png
s ties with animal prints. I know it's gaudy, but I still like them (I don't like boring patterns, floral prints nor stripes). Shirts and suits are unpatterned ...

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TourbillonTurk.
In winter my distinct red scarf.

laugh.gif

I alternate between red and royal blue scarves. Contrasting against my otherwise dull muted ensemble of greys.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff

One of the few real ones I have on a really consistent basis is that I carry a handkerchief or bandanna virtually all the time, typically in the back left pocket. I use it to blow my nose or whatever else (wiping forehead/ hands, rubbing gunk off things, cleaning spills, ect.) hardly a new concept, but very rare in this day and age. I also use a lot more than plain white handkerchiefs or red paisley bandannas, and the variety of interesting different patterns probably adds to the distinctiveness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handkerchief_code

I hope this doesn't single-handedly destroy your signature item for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads