• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wearing a bow tie with a suit?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as it doesn't earn you negative criticism at work, wear it, as stated above.

Ivar

Reaction score
An excellent alternative to neckties. Assuming that you know what you're doing, of course.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i see no reason to say no

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like bowties best with a DB.

web.boards

Reaction score
This will be for my wedding. I have a black RLBL suit and was thinking of the possibility of a black bow tie to go with it?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A black suit and a black bowtie makes it look like you tried to do a tux and got all the details wrong. Either do a tux, or not. Really I don't think a bowtie would work well with a black suit in general, they seem to fit more festive suits.

Ivar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by web.boards
This will be for my wedding. I have a black RLBL suit and was thinking of the possibility of a black bow tie to go with it?
Most people would consider wearing a black suit to a wedding a major faux pas. I would advise you not to go down that route.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bow tie with suit = yes.

Black suit to wedding = NO.

web.boards

Reaction score
How is the intensity of the dark blacks in a suit different from that of a tux?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They aren't, but a suit is still not a tux, and you also shouldn't be wearing a tux to a wedding unless the wedding is in the evening.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Less about the colors than about the details. A tux with satin or grosgrain peak lapels, one button, no vents, and a proper tux **** will be distinctive when worn with a black bow. A black suit is just a black suit, and will look like you're trying to pass it off as a tux if you do the black bow approach, even if you aren't trying to pretend. Much better going with a different approach, even if you're still set on wearing the black suit.
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
They aren't, but a suit is still not a tux, and you also shouldn't be wearing a tux to a wedding unless the wedding is in the evening.
Is there any visual justification for the "don't wear a tux in the daytime" rule? Same idea as not wearing black suits during the day, simple issue of the starkness of black not looking good under sunlight? I understand it's an arbitrary rule in general, but most of the formalwear rules do end up having a pretty good visual theory justification behind them in the end. Unfortunately weddings are rarely scheduled according traditional mores, so the "after six" qualification is hard to apply. Many weddings start before six but go well into the night. That seems like enough of a reason to wear a tux if you're so inclined.

Arsenal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
Unfortunately weddings are rarely scheduled according traditional mores, so the "after six" qualification is hard to apply. Many weddings start before six but go well into the night. That seems like enough of a reason to wear a tux if you're so inclined.

I thought that it had to do with the timing of the ceremony specifically?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads