• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jim Tressel resigns

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't really followed the story, but Im kind of suprised too.

The last thing I remember was Gee (university president) giving a press conference saying he had Tressel's back.

Tressel is extremely popular in Ohio thanks to his success against Michigan. I just cant imagine too many people in that state calling for his resignation.

All this over trading some trinkets for tatoos...

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
I haven't really followed the story, but Im kind of suprised too.

The last thing I remember was Gee (university president) giving a press conference saying he had Tressel's back.

Tressel is extremely popular in Ohio thanks to his success against Michigan. I just cant imagine too many people in that state calling for his resignation.

All this over trading some trinkets for tatoos...

All this is over the fact that Tressel was well aware that his players were violating NCAA rules and, rather than report it or put an end to it, he hid that knowledge and flat-out lied about it.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The business of college sports is such a joke anyway.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I'm not surprised at all. If you've paid attention even badly to the news coming out you had to have guess this was coming at some point.

I haven't been paying attention to the news, but when they fined Tressel, I thought this issue was finished. I'm surprised ANY university president has the balls to fire a coach as successful as Tressel (coaches don't just resign over these things without being "asked" to resign).

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He basically quit to help save the program IMO. If he were to keep his job, the NCAA probably would've came down pretty hard on tOSU for keeping a coach that knowlingly lied to them.

If he would've came clean when first approached about this, he would've never lost his job.

fir3fox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
If he would've came clean when first approached about this, he would've never lost his job.

THIS.

It wasn't the crime that did him in, it was the cover up.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Such bullshit. Look at the **** that someone like Cashman gets away with. And now Tressel is forced out due to some tattoos.

If anyone doubted that the NCAA is in the tank for the SEC this should clear things up.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Such bullshit. Look at the **** that someone like Cashman gets away with. And now Tressel is forced out due to some tattoos.

If anyone doubted that the NCAA is in the tank for the SEC this should clear things up.

No, he was forced out for lying to the NCAA.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara

crackup[1].gif

You mean like how AJ Green (a star at an SEC school) was forced to immediately sit four games for selling a single jersey, but, at OSU, a more severe infraction resulted in suspensions that weren't imposed until the following season, thus allowing their players to participate in a major bowl game?

C'mon, Conne, Tressel really fucked up here. It would have been one thing if these kids had just screwed up on their own. It's entirely different when the head coach is directly involved in a cover-up.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
The business of college sports is such a joke anyway.

True but, there are rules and if you knowingly and fragrantly violate them...you need to be punished.

tj100

Reaction score
Not surprised at all, but I think the whole enterprise (college football) needs to be rethought, given the ongoing rules violations at the most "successful" programs.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I (and the rest of "Buckeye Nation") saw this coming a mile away. It was pretty cut and dry when there was a press conference about it initially.

Hopefully the rumors are true and Urban Meyer is our head coach for the 2012 season.

tj100

Reaction score
And now just to prove how ridiculous it all is, how long will it be before Tressel signs a multi-million $$$ contract with some elite team that dares go 7-5?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics