• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt opinions

miketcooper

Reaction score
Hi - was wondering as to the quality and fit of Charles Tyrwhitt http://www.ctshirts.co.uk

I know they are often on sale and probably arent worth the non sale price. I did do a search but the most recent opinions are from a few years ago. So any feedback on the cut and cloth of their shirting and suits? Is the current sale good value?

They seem attractive as I've slightly longer arms than most OTR allow for my size (16.5 collar and 42 chest), at least here in Australia, and CT do longer sleeves on all their shirts.

Otherwise I have reasonably standard and athletic proportions (16.5, 42, 35 waist) so in this price range I'm safe to assume that OTR with tailoring would be better than MTM?

By the way they have shoes that are stated as UK made (Loake I'm assuming) but am I safe to assume that those shoes where country of origin is not mentioned (their entire standard range pretty much), are not UK in origin? They employ interesting tactics in hiding the "made in" on the sole with the other shoe in the photos.

Thanks

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For an everyday office shirt at a reasonable price ct and tm lewin are in my sweet spot. Are they the highest quality? No. Do they look and last fine? In my opinion...yes. so long as u aren't expecting turnbull and asher for 50 a shirt I think you'll be happy.

As for the shoes, it seems that some are made to loake 1880 standards and others are corrected grain crap...shop wisely

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I'm happy with the durability of my TM Lewin shirts, though the fit is horrendously baggy (and I have the slim fit) and the collars have started to do all sorts of strange things (some have shrunk, some have expanded, and almost all are losing their shape). But for $50 and daily wear through a 9-shirt rotation over the past year, they've fared well. Currently waiting on an order of MTM ones for a local shirtmaker and which point I will retire these.

rcoreytaylor

Reaction score
I've had great luck with CT shirts and have purchased a number of them over the past couple of years. The fit is better than many other OTR brands and they hold up well. You can often times take advantage of sale or clearance shirts starting at $19.95 GBP (so about $30 USD a shirt - really good value at that price!). They will also do some basic alterations for you (custom sleeve length, pocket, monogram if so inclined, etc.). And Ive found their customer service to be simply outstanding. The biggest issue is having to wait 10-15 business days for shipments to arrive from UK to Canada.

Cheers

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a business shirt I have found them good value I still have about four which I wear for work. I found them to be good value for money particularly comparing the cost quality factor versus something like Sportscraft or Country Road. And they have a range of colours and pattern which some of the other OTR online shirt providers don't have.

porschemad911

Reaction score
I really like my CT shirts ... Have about 15 - 20 from various iterations of the 'tailored fit' range. I'm 183cm, 75 kg, 38 chest, 32 waist (actual measurement) ... they fit just well enough to not need any alterations, and last really well for me (although I do have an approx 30 shirt rotation). For some reason they're slightly harder to iron than some of my other shirts though.

But seriously, for roughly $150 shipped for 4 shirts when you catch a deal the value is far better than buying locally. Actually the only local shirts I buy are the Blaq ones from Myer when they're on sale for $35 each, but IMO the CT are much better.

SaveMeJebus

Reaction score
for the Op, since you'd be buying off the UK site, you can use the following link to get shirts at 19.95 GBP - doesn't really help us in the USA, but might help you...

www.ctshirts.com/henry

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love CT shirts and they make up a large part of my everyday wardrobe. A 16.5/35 slim fit fits me perfectly. They are always on sale and often I can pick one up for $40 with a coupon code for free shipping. In any case they usually have a 3 for $150 or 4 for $200 sale going on. Personally I haven't found a better made or better fitting OTR shirt for only $50. I usually just stick to the white label though, for the price of the sea island or black label you could probably do better.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SaveMeJebus
for the Op, since you'd be buying off the UK site, you can use the following link to get shirts at 19.95 GBP - doesn't really help us in the USA, but might help you...

www.ctshirts.com/henry

It would help us in the US if we didn't have to pay the VAT on their UK site. For some reason, they believe that non-EU citizens should pay the same price as EU citizens. Thus, they collect the 20% premium, don't call it VAT and keep it. I fail to see the logic here, but oh well, we can buy off the US site without the 20% quasi-VAT penalty and only pay a 50% premium to the UK prices (19.95 UK price @ 1.65 conversion rate vs. the $50/shirt US price.) It is obvious they don't want US customers unless they are willing to pay a significant premium to their UK customers. US companies do this in reverse to EU citizens so I guess all is fair in love and sartorial war.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HarleyBob
It would help us in the US if we didn't have to pay the VAT on their UK site. For some reason, they believe that non-EU citizens should pay the same price as EU citizens. Thus, they collect the 20% premium, don't call it VAT and keep it. I fail to see the logic here, but oh well, we can buy off the US site without the 20% quasi-VAT penalty and only pay a 50% premium to the UK prices (19.95 UK price @ 1.65 conversion rate vs. the $50/shirt US price.) It is obvious they don't want US customers unless they are willing to pay a significant premium to their UK customers. US companies do this in reverse to EU citizens so I guess all is fair in love and sartorial war.

Yes, it sucks that you no longer get the VAT back, but its still cheaper on the UK website.

I don't love their pricing policy or strategy, but for a decent shirt at $40, who am I to *****.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of CT, partly because their slim shirts fit me about as well as my better MTM. That's just my good fortune, though; your mileage may vary. I have to pay $10 to get the sleeves adjusted because I'm between the two lengths they offer. No big deal. Quality is high and they've held up really well. Also their return policy is first rate.

Their pricing is sort of a shell game and their current sale is just standard pricing cut a different way. Right now the buy 1 at ~$150 get 2 free means ~$50/shirt, which is about what you pay under normal circumstances.

The only thing stopping me from getting more CT shirts is that they don't have more fabrics I like in the slim fits.

kasakka

Reaction score
I find that their sizing can be a bit off. I had to purchase one size smaller everything for them to fit right and even then they are nowhere near what I'd call slim or tailored fit. I'm not a toothpick or an athelete by any measure and I feel they could be slimmer at the waist without becoming too tight.

It doesn't show in the pictures but a few of my shirts, including a white one, has these ugly yellowish buttons. It's not even an anomaly because I had to send a set of shirts back because they were too big (ordered the same size from T.M. Lewin at the same time and those fit like they're supposed to) and what I got back had those yellowish buttons. I'm going to have them changed because it kinda ruins the white shirt's look. None of the pics show the buttons.

As for prices, they have had a 4 for £100 shirt deal for years now. There are some clearance sales but even then the prices aren't stellar. Though I must admit that the pricing is pretty right to begin with so in that respect I'm not complaining.

Their customer service is excellent but I still recommend you order your regular size and then one smaller, just return the ones that don't fit.

Comparing the T.M. Lewin and CT shirts I felt that the materials were better on the CTs. Lewins didn't have any strange anomalies with sizing and buttons though.

Pendulum

Reaction score
I think they are good quality shirts for the price, but I have a problem of fairly slim/athletic body and a fat neck, so even the tailored shirts are too large & require tailoring.

bjornb17

Reaction score
They are very good for the money and are my go-to shirts now. probably have about 20 of them. I've had a couple for about a year and they've held up perfectly. The slim fit shirts fit me about as good as a shirt possibly could (although I'm not all that slim).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads