• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebelWithACause

Reaction score
I am also from NYC, and the thrifting is rough. However, we have tons of stores, but who has the time to get to them all. I average one good item every 5 visits and a great item every ten. I am a medical student currently studying for step 2, after thats done I plan to hit about 25 stores in one day, over all five boroughs.

UncleCozy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkoernert
I thrifted this today, I haven't seen a charvet tag like this before. Fake or real old?

Possibly a Made in USA Charvet? Or is it stated on the main label if that is the case?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UncleCozy
Possibly a Made in USA Charvet? Or is it stated on the main label if that is the case?

We'd need to see the whole tie, lining, fabric tag, etc.

Doesn't look right to me, though. But I dont have much experience with old charvet.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
The marsupials stapled the price tag to the collar so there's a small hole, as can be seen in the photo, but other than that it's fine. Will let it go cheap due to that. French cuffs.

Unless the staple cut threads, which is usually not the case with a shirt, you can massage the material a little bit and make those holes disappear.

dkoernert

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
We'd need to see the whole tie, lining, fabric tag, etc. Doesn't look right to me, though. But I dont have much experience with old charvet.
Doesn't seem right to me either. There is no sign of a fabric tag,or country. Anyway here is a photo of the tie, and the inside. If its fake, oh well It was 50 cents.
DSC07283.jpg
DSC07284.jpg

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RebelWithACause
I am also from NYC, and the thrifting is rough. However, we have tons of stores, but who has the time to get to them all. I average one good item every 5 visits and a great item every ten. I am a medical student currently studying for step 2, after thats done I plan to hit about 25 stores in one day, over all five boroughs.

25 in one day?
laugh.gif

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkoernert
Doesn't seem right to me either. There is no sign of a fabric tag,or country. Anyway here is a photo of the tie, and the inside. If its fake, oh well It was 50 cents.

DSC07283.jpg

DSC07284.jpg

No chance that's real. Its also not in very good condition...

RebelWithACause

Reaction score
^^yea, theres a little island thats not very far from my house, its called manhattan. Pickings are slim there, but we all know this is a numbers game.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No chance that's real. Its also not in very good condition...

+1 i take back my earlier assumption, thats totally fake.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
+1 i take back my earlier assumption, thats totally fake.

spoo from your avatar i couldnt tell if it was gianni or phil collins they really look(ed) alike.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eddievddr10
spoo from your avatar i couldnt tell if it was gianni or phil collins they really look(ed) alike.

Minchia.

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
who can tell me when armani collezioni split from the main giorgio armani (le collezioni) line? aka is that any way to approximate the age of this jacket i thrifted two weeks ago? http://i.imgur.com/hqdlo.jpg

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handcuffed
who can tell me when armani collezioni split from the main giorgio armani (le collezioni) line?

aka is that any way to approximate the age of this jacket i thrifted two weeks ago?
http://i.imgur.com/hqdlo.jpg

Girogio Armani black label has been the mainline for some odd years now

collezioni has never been mainline, always the first diffusion line, and it looks about 20 years old

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wolfador
I remembered seeing your post of these in this thread and spotted a pair on the shelf at the local GW.

Did you find out which model these were?

DSC03714.jpg

DSC03716.jpg

Some lady picked them up before I could grab them but she quickly sat them back down so I grabbed them. Not sure what size they are but they fit my size 11 feet great and they look brand new.

What should I wear these with?

Here is the Charvet tie I found earlier

DSC03718.jpg

Those are Trickers

Based on the Last ID, they appear to be Alfred Sargents. Someone near my original post pointed it out and they do appear to match exactly, right down to the medallion design on the toe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads