• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
You're not seeing the big picture. Luxury goods collection lines usually lose money, but they bring prestige and buzz to the brand. They make their money from cosmetics, fragrances (both of which costs essentially nothing to make) and accessories. Think about how many places sell the Gucci collection, and how many places sell Gucci fragrances. Designers with lots of lines like Ralph Lauren? The low end lines (Chaps, Lauren by Ralph Lauren, Polo, Polo Sport, RLX) can be found in any department store. These are the lines that sell. But the black label, the purple label, RRL - these lines give them credibility to different audiences. Also, they help sell the fragrances, which are essentially the cheapest buy-in to a lifestyle brand.

Other high margin items are sneakers and tees. You really have to pull out all the stops to make a sneaker with $50 material and manufacture costs. A tee? C'mon now. It's hard to make a $15 tee.

So RRL isn't a cash cow like I previously thought, it just gives the brand credibility. Mmmm....yes that makes alot more sense and why Ralph can "afford" to keep RRL running.

thanks, I feel much more edumacated
bigstar[1].gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dave_SFU
Hell its hard to make a $7 tee, and thats IF youre making it in the US and printing is involved

It's actually quite doable, but you have to be pretty inefficient as well as use the best manufacture and materials. US manufacture is actually relatively cheap. Do it in Japan, have your stuff custom milled, and don't meet minimums, and you got yourself a pretty expensive tee shirt. Add post-manufacture printing using a difficult method, do some additional processing, and $15 is not bad.

Now, sneakers are tougher. There are ways to jack your prices sky high, but you'd have to do something like use only leather that has zero chrome treatment (which means that the tannery has to be close to the actual slaughterhouse), something I don't think I've ever seen from any sneaker manufacturer.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by el duderino
Doug is the vintage buyer for for RL, he's not a designer.
Yeah, the dude I'm thinking of, and I always forget his name, is fairly young and fairly inked up.
Originally Posted by couleurs
any news on when the new summer collection will be available?
I got an email the other day saying that the Kon Tiki collection was already in.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I got an email the other day saying that the Kon Tiki collection was already in.

I saw some pieces at the Georgetown store, but it is a sparse selection. Hopefully there will be more coming out over the next month.

el duderino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
I saw some pieces at the Georgetown store, but it is a sparse selection. Hopefully there will be more coming out over the next month.

Late summer collections are done at this point. They switched out the floor displays recently, but it's been in stock for a month. I would expect Georgetown to have everything out from Kon Tiki out if you saw the red chambray. You aren't missing much, just short sleeved shirts and shorts mostly.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
been MIA on sf for awhile so apologies if this has been mentioned

but got a card from RL yesterday about the upcoming spring sale:

Beginning June 7, 2011

You are invited to enjoy reductions of up to 40% off select spring styles during this special event at RL stores and RL.com

at the bottom it lists Collection, Purple Label, Black Label, RRL, and signature acc & footwear ... with no fine print or other limitations or exclusions

smile.gif

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will have to check out the Kon Tiki collection when I hit up the Mansion this weekend

el duderino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
at the bottom it lists Collection, Purple Label, Black Label, RRL, and signature acc & footwear ... with no fine print or other limitations or exclusions

smile.gif

Don't get too excited. Most likely going to be just Grand Canyon at 30% off

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd ask again if anyone has seen these in a 32W or 33W...
dlQFK.jpg

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
been MIA on sf for awhile so apologies if this has been mentioned

but got a card from RL yesterday about the upcoming spring sale:

Beginning June 7, 2011

You are invited to enjoy reductions of up to 40% off select spring styles during this special event at RL stores and RL.com

smile.gif

Cool, any idea if things like the officer chino would be included?

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a chance to check out the Kon Tiki collection yesterday at the mansion.
Nothing really stood out except for the Red Chambray.
I decided to hold off as the $250 price tag is out of control.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
Had a chance to check out the Kon Tiki collection yesterday at the mansion.
Nothing really stood out except for the Red Chambray.
I decided to hold off as the $250 price tag is out of control.

haa, wow. $250. lmao

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads