• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Oranges, grapefruits and pineapples set me off. I accumulate sweat under my eyes and around my mouth. I also have the same reaction to Starburst and other candy. I just assumed all of this was normal. Having brought it up a few times in conversations, the people I was talking did not have similar experiences. What's wrong with me?

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's called compensatory hyperhidrosis, or "gustatory sweating", and it's brought on after the consumption of certain foods--in your case oranges, grapefruits, and pineapples--and may have something to do with your salivary glands becoming connected in error with the sweat glands. It is common in individuals with diabetes, so perhaps laying off the Starburst would be a good start. I'd say try cutting out sugars for a while and then see what happens after a few weeks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compensatory_hyperhidrosis

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
It's called compensatory hyperhidrosis, or "gustatory sweating", and it's brought on after the consumption of certain foods--in your case oranges, grapefruits, and pineapples--and may have something to do with your salivary glands becoming connected in error with the sweat glands. It is common in individuals with diabetes, so perhaps laying off the Starburst would be a good start. I'd say try cutting out sugars for a while and then see what happens after a few weeks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compensatory_hyperhidrosis

I believe this is what you should be linking: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frey's_syndrome.
What you linked is a condition related to an already affected autonomic nervous system. The "acidic" foods that the OP is referring to intense salivation that can occur when eating sour/acidic foods.

Also, "laying off the Starburst" is a sloppy way of thinking about diabetes as a condition, and in no way would help solve the OP's problem even if he had diabetes.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
I believe this is what you should be linking: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frey's_syndrome.
What you linked is a condition related to an already affected autonomic nervous system.

What do you think Frey's syndrome is? It's a form of autonomic neuropathy, brought on by an "already affected nervous system".

Also, "laying off the Starburst" is a sloppy way of thinking about diabetes as a condition, and in no way would help solve the OP's problem even if he had diabetes.
How do you know it wouldn't?

alexanduh

Reaction score
burn.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you think Frey's syndrome is? It's a form of autonomic neuropathy, brought on by an "already affected nervous system".

Because Frey's Syndrome can be present without any kind of history of any kind of insult to the person's autonomic nervous system - the person can be born with the "faulty wiring" already present. Frey's Syndrome can be a compensatory hyperhydrosis, but it doesn't have to be.

How do you know it wouldn't?

Because it assumes that the person has diabetes in the first place! That's what's wrong with your statement. And if the person did have diabetes, the advice that just cutting out Starburst candy to solve the problem is just silly.

sammeke33

Reaction score
Hey,

I have exactly the same issue as you, and I would add kiwi to the last(worst for me)

I believe I have it even worse, because when I cut open a kiwi to eat it, I start sweating a lot and my
face gets warm just by looking at it, an I keep sweating for more than half an hour after the deed(ie:eating the acidic fruit...)

is there anything you can do to treat it, cuz it's annoying as hell...

tnx

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads