• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

favorite pizza

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Though I will give Zachary's credit: it is much closer to a good Chicago pizza than any of the CA attempts to make a New York pizza. The Naples copies are all lame, and beaten embarassingly by Naples-inspired pizzas in Northern Italian border towns.

I think that there is a bigger question - is chicago pizza an ideal to be aimed for? I am not sure - while it is nice every now and again, I would say that I prefer both italian pizza and new york style pizza to chicago pizza.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I think that there is a bigger question - is chicago pizza an ideal to be aimed for? I am not sure - while it is nice every now and again, I would say that I prefer both italian pizza and new york style pizza to chicago pizza.

Yes, as I noted, I am a convert away from Chicago style and in favor of NY style. I can't even remember the last time I had a Chicago style pizza, though I still have fond memories of Zachary's, whatever johnapril says. I have had a few pies in Chicago as well (been at least 10 years however), and I enjoyed them. I wish I could remember what restaurants.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any decent pizza in Freedom?
frown.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, as I noted, I am a convert away from Chicago style and in favor of NY style. I can't even remember the last time I had a Chicago style pizza, though I still have fond memories of Zachary's, whatever johnapril says. I have had a few pies in Chicago as well (been at least 10 years however), and I enjoyed them. I wish I could remember what restaurants.

when I feel like a 3 inch thick chunk of cheese, dough and meat, I meander over to Giordono's, a local chain that has a branch a few blocks from my house. or Lou Malnati's. both very good examples chicago pizza.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Filthy Loehmann's DSquared shopping poseurs in Audis.

Two-timing, American Beauty-watching, no good planes, trains, and automobiles-driving, kakamamie, bluetooth panty bunchers.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Whew...that was close. Thought you racked up a bill in my name. Again.

The pesto's good, too. Hell, everything and anything is good there. Still waiting to hear what Lawyerdad's verdict is.

England's in the mail, btw.

Haven't gotten there yet - almost went Saturday, but got outvoted. I'll let you know.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
Two-timing, American Beauty-watching, no good planes, trains, and automobiles-driving, kakamamie, bluetooth panty bunchers.
Nail-biting, Trader Joe's shopping, designer water swilling, digital camera-toting, bunny-witch nebbish.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Nail-biting, Trader Joe's shopping, designer water swilling, digital camera-toting, bunny-witch nebbish.

No good, kept, housed, fed, uninsured for a huge black Mercedes driving, 4-hours a week at the salon going, Caymus bathing, Bebe for strippers wearing ***** tonks.

bryce330

Reaction score
Though I will give Zachary's credit: it is much closer to a good Chicago pizza than any of the CA attempts to make a New York pizza. The Naples copies are all lame, and beaten embarassingly by Naples-inspired pizzas in Northern Italian border towns.

Really? I've never had a good pizza in Italy north of Florence - in fact I have found that even the American chains are better than the pizza you will find in Milan, Venice, etc.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bryce330
Really? I've never had a good pizza in Italy north of Florence - in fact I have found that even the American chains are better than the pizza you will find in Milan, Venice, etc.

I've had great pizza in Milan and points north. Maybe not Venice ...

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had great pizza in milan. I had fantastic pizza in sicaly, though. and some really, really good pizza in rome.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's been a Gap on Telegraph since the '80s at least. But back then, there was no Berkeley Zach's; only Rockridge. I don't know when the Berkeley one opened.

The one in Solano has been around a long time. That's actually the first one I ate at.

I used to live in Rockridge/North Oakland at the intersection of College and Alcatraz. Walking distance from Double Rainbow and Zachary's, not to mention a 24 hour Safeway market. The effects on my waistband were marked and lasting.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
The one in Solano has been around a long time. That's actually the first one I ate at.

I used to live in Rockridge/North Oakland at the intersection of College and Alcatraz. Walking distance from Double Rainbow and Zachary's, not to mention a 24 hour Safeway market. The effects on my waistband were marked and lasting.

I hear you. I used to live at basically the same intersection, around the corner from Buttercup Bakery. Although that Safeway was great for late-night munchies, what was really cool was the little produce market across the street (next door to the flower place) run by the southeast asian couple. They had an amazing selection of relatively exotic fruits, vegetables, and spices for such a small place, and always had helpful suggestions about how to cook them. Thank god it was sufficiently far from campus that I could burn some of it off biking or walking. It was also a short walk to Royal Coffee, which was by far my favorite coffee place in town.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads