• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie for graduation

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to graduate from university in a few weeks time, been wondering what shirt/tie colours to wear, I'm 6ft, dark brown hair, going to be wearing a dark green and apricot hood and probably a navy suit.

I'm thinking white shirt, dark blue tie but worried it might come across a bit boring with the navy suit, not got a clue about matching the tie colour to the green/apricot on the robe either.

divitius

Reaction score
Hmm. Maybe a black textured or grenadine tie? White pindot on blue could work too. My standard job interview outfit is a navy suit with white shirt and a striped light blue/navy tie, and I think that looks pretty decent.

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
Perhaps a silk knitted tie in navy blue.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It all depends upon what sort of contrast you want. I wouldn't worry about matching to the robe. While it's what your graduation photo will be taken in, you'll spend most of the day just in the suit, shirt, tie, and shoes. Dark blue tie with Navy suit does get boring. If you want to be conservative, do something dark like black or chocolate. Maybe a dark green or violet.

The thing is though, that particular combination is very standard and will work with everything, which leaves the tie open to be the center piece of the outfit. From that stand point, you're free to do almost anything, because the rest of the outfit will almost inherently support it already. Something that might take the focus of the outfit would be a bright red power tie. Sporting that with black shoes and a white linen pocket square would be very classic and at the same time probably put some bold to the whole thing. You could also play with other bold colors instead of the red, or do something with a pattern which can become bold to the point of gaudy.

Something that might work is, if you want to go buy a tie, to wear the suit and shirt out to pick up the tie..

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't wear a suit jacket under the robe. At least not if you don't want to be redfaced and sweating like a pig in photos.

People really tend to over think tie and suit matching. Most suit colors are pretty damn neutral, and barring shades that are close but not quite (ie, charcoal tie with navy or navy with black), it's not an issue. Tie and shirt are, but if you're wearing white, it's not an issue at all. Wear whatever the hell you want in that regard.

So you might pay some attention to the robe and hood, but I wouldn't pay too much. Those colors are regalia, and assembled without much regard to aesthetics, instead opting for their own coded meaning.

I would go with the school tie. Perfect for a graduation from that school, and conveying the occasion whether the robe's on or not. Barring that, something a little more celebratory and lively than plain navy or whatever. Perhaps a navy and gold something? Burgundy/ blue? Just pick out a nice tie in a color scheme that amuses you.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Don't wear a suit jacket under the robe. At least not if you don't want to be redfaced and sweating like a pig in photos.

People really tend to over think tie and suit matching. Most suit colors are pretty damn neutral, and barring shades that are close but not quite (ie, charcoal tie with navy or navy with black), it's not an issue. Tie and shirt are, but if you're wearing white, it's not an issue at all. Wear whatever the hell you want in that regard.

So you might pay some attention to the robe and hood, but I wouldn't pay too much. Those colors are regalia, and assembled without much regard to aesthetics, instead opting for their own coded meaning.

I would go with the school tie. Perfect for a graduation from that school, and conveying the occasion whether the robe's on or not. Barring that, something a little more celebratory and lively than plain navy or whatever. Perhaps a navy and gold something? Burgundy/ blue? Just pick out a nice tie in a color scheme that amuses you.

The university's tie is black and gold actually, but I don't really like it. I probably won't be sweltering, Sheffield isn't known for its tropical weather and it usually ends up cool and cloudy in graduation week.

Originally Posted by mktitsworth
It all depends upon what sort of contrast you want. I wouldn't worry about matching to the robe. While it's what your graduation photo will be taken in, you'll spend most of the day just in the suit, shirt, tie, and shoes. Dark blue tie with Navy suit does get boring. If you want to be conservative, do something dark like black or chocolate. Maybe a dark green or violet.

The thing is though, that particular combination is very standard and will work with everything, which leaves the tie open to be the center piece of the outfit. From that stand point, you're free to do almost anything, because the rest of the outfit will almost inherently support it already. Something that might take the focus of the outfit would be a bright red power tie. Sporting that with black shoes and a white linen pocket square would be very classic and at the same time probably put some bold to the whole thing. You could also play with other bold colors instead of the red, or do something with a pattern which can become bold to the point of gaudy.

Something that might work is, if you want to go buy a tie, to wear the suit and shirt out to pick up the tie..

Think I'll go for that, something I could wear again. Cheers
smile.gif

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore a bowtie for graduation this time since most robes/gowns prevent much of your clothing from being seen, anyway. I received tons of compliments for the bowtie.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
I wore a bowtie for graduation this time since most robes/gowns prevent much of your clothing from being seen, anyway. I received tons of compliments for the bowtie.
Not a fan of bow ties except for dinner jackets/morning dress. I get the impression British gowns are a bit more revealing than American ones too.
pic_shopping.jpg
vs
african-student-graduation.jpg

Tibo

Reaction score
I would go for the college tie, no matter how ugly you think it is (but assuming it's still kind of decent obviously).

tom_s252

Reaction score
If I could chime in as a Brit on this one, don't worry about being too warm; American gowns are indeed heavier and more closed than their British equivalents. Assuming yours is a standard Ede & Ravenscroft hire, you'll be fine. I graduated from Leeds, so I'm familiar with Yorkshire weather!

For my money, a navy tie would probably be sufficiently tame to let the hood do the talking; if not plain navy then perhaps a pin dot or fine stripe. And if you're anything like me, you'll spend as long as possible in robe and hood from the moment you arrive until you absolutely have to give it back...

O'Higgins

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibo
I would go for the college tie, no matter how ugly you think it is (but assuming it's still kind of decent obviously).

I agree on this one, the college tie.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tom_s252
If I could chime in as a Brit on this one, don't worry about being too warm; American gowns are indeed heavier and more closed than their British equivalents. Assuming yours is a standard Ede & Ravenscroft hire, you'll be fine. I graduated from Leeds, so I'm familiar with Yorkshire weather!

For my money, a navy tie would probably be sufficiently tame to let the hood do the talking; if not plain navy then perhaps a pin dot or fine stripe. And if you're anything like me, you'll spend as long as possible in robe and hood from the moment you arrive until you absolutely have to give it back...

Yeah, E&R, I think everywhere uses them don't they? Sheffield isn't proper Yorkshire so it won't be too bad, I can't see myself wanting to be in the robe for long, if I wanted to look like a tit I'd just wear a Man Utd shirt with European Champions 11 on the back.
lol8[1].gif

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sir Humphrey Appleby
Yeah, E&R, I think everywhere uses them don't they? Sheffield isn't proper Yorkshire so it won't be too bad, I can't see myself wanting to be in the robe for long, if I wanted to look like a tit I'd just wear a Man Utd shirt with European Champions 11 on the back.
lol8[1].gif

Hey now... Some of us are ****.
tounge.gif

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
Hey now... Some of us are ****.
tounge.gif

I never said I wasn't one just that I don't want to look like one
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads