• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bummed that after two months the stitching on my suede PTBs is coming un-done...

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P. Bateman
Bummed that after two months the stitching on my suede PTBs is coming un-done...
facepalm.gif
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=224200

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTYGGG
Just my 2 cents and I don't mean to offend you, but why don't you just purchase a pair brand new? That way you know you're getting a great boot and you'll have them for many years of great wear.

I just might, but saving a couple hundred bucks doesn't hurt.

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cyc wid it
I just might, but saving a couple hundred bucks doesn't hurt.
I hear you on that. Which model of the Indy are you looking for?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTYGGG
I hear you on that. Which model of the Indy are you looking for?

The 403's would be my first choice. The shell ones are a bit extravagant for my current needs.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P. Bateman
Ugh... $36 shipping and so-so repair results. I bought from Alden SF, I'll take back on Tuesday and see what they say.
its frustrating. It happened to a pair of 405 indys that I purchased from the Shoe Mart. I ended up fixing it myself because I didnt want to put up with the hassle. Good luck. Please share what Alden SF tells you

John_

Reaction score
Happened to my #8 WTBs. If you are in SF, $3 and 5 min. at Jack's Shoe Repair on Sutter, off Market. Great job and he said they were great boots, but hat was a common problem.

Also, like your rug...we have a very similar one.

number9dream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vivalet
here is my alden collection so far... with three more pairs on the way! context rough roy, 9901, LS NST tanker lady calf, snuff PTB, LB ravello monk straps, 1494s (which are for sale since they are a size too big!)
Very nice collection. I especially like the look of those snuff PTBs -- may need to find myself a pair for the summer (quality issues aside).

cimabue

Reaction score
Norwegian Split Toe, Chromexcel, Barrie, ShoeMart. They were in natural originally -- did not like -- dyed 'em black.

lxlfeng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cimabue
Norwegian Split Toe, Chromexcel, Barrie, ShoeMart. They were in natural originally -- did not like -- dyed 'em black.

whoaa! looks great, how did you dye them?

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lxlfeng
whoaa! looks great, how did you dye them?
Takes about 90 minutes. Put on some latex gloves, have you some mineral spirits (or acetone), a cut up cotton t-shirt, some Fiebing's black dye (about $6), a dauber (comes with dye), a small, cheapo artist's brush and black shoe paste/wax. Remove laces, wipe down shoes in mineral spirits to remove wax and oils. Dries in about 5 minutes or so. Use an artist's brush to apply black dye just at edge where upper meets the welt. Go slow for this part as you want to keep the black dye off the edges of the welt/sole. Use the dauber for the remaining uppers. Apply dye generously, avoiding getting dye inside the shoe. Dye is alcohol based and dries in about an hour so. Check for streaks. Repeat if necessary. When dry, apply black wax/paste, again taking care not to get any on your brown welt/soles. Re-lace. Buff like hell to avoid getting wax and residual dye on your jeans. Pretty easy. I also darkened the welt/soles on my pair with Fiebing's brown dye. Also, thanks, KG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads