• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench coat fitment question

kraands

Reaction score
Thoughts on this fitment? It's a Banana Republic coat, size small. It feels way too big when not belted, but really good when belted. Is this normal?

I'm thinking of having a tailor bring the sides/waist and shortening the sleeves. I got an uber good deal on it so I don't mind paying a tailor to make it perfect.

08a39513.jpg

626fe771.jpg

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
it looks pretty good, is there a suit under it. that would fill it even more.
the trench should be a somewhat loose fit, that gets its shape when belted.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fit looks good to me. A genuine Luther Gillis!

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Add a little waist suppression, shorten the sleeves and you are good to go.

nohio

Reaction score
I'll go against the grain and suggest that it looks like the tailor would have to take in the sides several inches for it fit you. This might not be possible, and if possible, it could look very odd since the width will still be wide at the chest. The sleeves will also be hard to alter since the fasteners at the cuff will have to be moved up and the mark from where they were will be visible in the fabric.

Still, if it was cheap and you like it. Take it to a tailor and see what they think. Just keep these things in mind.

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
it looks pretty good, is there a suit under it. that would fill it even more.
the trench should be a somewhat loose fit, that gets its shape when belted.

+1

Wiker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nohio
I'll go against the grain and suggest that it looks like the tailor would have to take in the sides several inches for it fit you. This might not be possible, and if possible, it could look very odd since the width will still be wide at the chest. The sleeves will also be hard to alter since the fasteners at the cuff will have to be moved up and the mark from where they were will be visible in the fabric.

Still, if it was cheap and you like it. Take it to a tailor and see what they think. Just keep these things in mind.

+1

It looks like a size to big, even when belted...

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fitment n : any of the items furnishing or equipping a room (especially built-in furniture); "she liked the kitchen fitments" Fits OK for a french door fridge.
wink.gif

howbah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
fitment n : any of the items furnishing or equipping a room (especially built-in furniture); "she liked the kitchen fitments" Fits OK for a french door fridge.
wink.gif

"Question about how this trench coat fits" certainly would've done the job better. Also: everybody is O.K. with a "trench coat" that ends way above the knee?

kraands

Reaction score
Would a good tailor be able to still take in the waist with the position of the pockets?

I would've tried on a XS if they had it. I'm always a Medium in BR coats whenever I try them on so I'm surprised this is so big still.

kraands

Reaction score
Tried it on with a suit coat and it feels a little more snug.

1c4b4749.jpg

I'm going to bring it to a tailor this week and see what they can do.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's too big and it's going to be too big no matter what a tailor does. Let it go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads