• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obama in Tom Ford

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
The Dutchess was wearing a $200 dress whereas Mrs. Obama was wearing a $2,000 dress. Your point is invalid.

Actually, it was 175 pounds and apparently made in a sweat shop. A much better image for our times:
http://www.hindustantimes.com/Kate-s...e1-702972.aspx
Regardless, what forum are you guys on? I try to dress well, the First Lady represents all of us, and I want her to dress well. She more than holds up her end of the bargain.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
I wasn't talking about the TF dress, nor was I referring to the pictured instance where the Obamas are meeting with the Queen.

Ah, my mistake.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like a well dressed leader and I love high quality clothing (obviously). I own a lot of TF stuff personally and love it. Just thought its a little unsubtle to wear this dress that's £10k+ and then claim you're a people's person and an average American. It doesn't do her husband any favours dressing like that, so it's an odd choice by her. I definitely don't hate anyone, I'm just feeling very disillusioned with the whole Obama thing.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the First Lady should have done like her sister BeyoncÃ
00a9.png
and chosen this dress for the occasion instead.
beyonceTomFord.jpg
Same hairstyle too; would have made more headlines.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
1. exactly how is his message of 'change' incongruous with him either paying for, or being donated, an expensive dress?

2. you are aware that that his wife champions, often wears, and dresses her children in J.crew, correct? she often makes it a point to wear 'affordable' brands, even though that isn't necessary in my opinion. I fail to see how her wearing something expensive to visit English royalty is 'inappropriate' for position. Should she have gotten her gown from Wal-Mart?

You know she only started the whole J. Crew thing as a conceit because she was getting a lot of attention for her wardrobe? You know her bespoke collection of clothing alone is estimated at over $100K? That's excluding the RTW stuff.

She could wear high quality brands that are quite expensive but not as excessive and showy as TF?

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
She could wear high quality brands that are quite expensive but not as excessive and showy as TF?
How is that dress in any way "excessive" or "showy". If you saw that picture of her in it, and were not aware it was, in fact, Tom Ford, would you in any way use those terms to describe it?

andrew96

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
I believe Obama has been an HSM customer (American made Burberry when he first started running), although he recently went to Martin Greenfield (who does make some stuff for BBGF, etc.). Bush wore a lot of Oxxford, and then there's George Whatshisname, the DC bespoke tailor who seems to do at least one suit for every recent POTUS.
I've never heard about the downtown BB, though.
EDIT: Multiple sources indicate he wore HSM for his inauguration, including this one:
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...ing-watch.aspx

I stand corrected, he wore BB gloves and coat.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/allt...dents-day.html

"Many more presidents, including Herbert Hoover, Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, George H. W. Bush (who, however, when accused of being a Brooks Brothers Republican, revealed that he was wearing a J. Press suit), and Bill Clinton were known to wear Brooks Brothers clothing lines.[15] Barack Obama wore a Brooks Brothers coat, scarf, and gloves during his inauguration in 2009.[16] Vice President Joe Biden frequently shops at Brooks Brothers in Washington D.C."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks_Brothers

The way to start a political career is to get a job as the tailor in the DC BB. Almost all politicians wear BB. The info about FDR came from the manager at a BB store.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
How is that dress in any way "excessive" or "showy". If you saw that picture of her in it, and were not aware it was, in fact, Tom Ford, would you in any way use those terms to describe it?

I would call it very bold (Over-the-elbow white silk gloves, and a high-waisted pleated white ball gown, with large diamond earrings), but I was describing the brand choice as showy & excessive, which inevitably people will find out...

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andrew96
I stand corrected, he wore BB gloves and coat.

I wasn't hating on them. I have BB shirts, polo coat, suit, shoes, etc.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
I would call it very bold (Over-the-elbow white silk gloves, and a high-waisted pleated white ball gown, with large diamond earrings), but I was describing the brand choice as showy & excessive, which inevitably people will find out...

Empire gown I think, pretty traditional since Napoleon for formal occasions. I've heard he encouraged women to expose one or both breasts when wearing them.
bounce2.gif

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thing to remember: Michelle hasn't been hard up for money for a while. She grew up in a household without a great deal of income, sure, but prior to that while first lady thing, she was a working lawyer, bringing in a decent amount of cash (well, probably direct deposit). Barack has made a few million on his books, and they bring in 400K a year or so, and don't have a whole lot of personal expenses for rent, food, transport (there are some, stuff that's strictly personal often gets paid for on their dime- Michelle and the kids' trip to Spain, for example).

They can afford to buy nice stuff on their own dime. It's not exactly coming out of the US treasury. Or did people expect the president and his wife to buy clothes from Kohls?

I'm usually an advocate of value, and paying attention to the quality versus price stuff. But this is a state occasion, meeting one of our closest allies. Very nice clothes are rather warranted.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
transport (there are some, stuff that's strictly personal often gets paid for on their dime- Michelle and the kids' trip to Spain, for example).

Actually, IIRC, their trips are paid for by the taxpayer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads