• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obama in Tom Ford

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has made me fall in love with Camilla Belle

andrew96

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Michelle Obama, that is.

a_560x375.jpg

I wonder: who dresses Barrack?

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2011/...om_ford_t.html

Brooks Brothers, Presidents are almost exclusively dressed at the BB in downtown DC. Both Lincoln and Kennedy were killed in BB, if you go to DC and look at the jacked Lincoln was shot in you'll see the proof. They have the mirror he was fitted in, in the DC BB. I believe every president since Lincoln aside from FDR wore BB and J & M. It makes sense, a traditional American clothing maker, steeped in American history, and not overly expensive or liberal. Imagine the criticism he'd get if he wore Armani or Burburry. He was inaugurated in all brand new BB stuff.

andrew96

Reaction score
Wouldn't Ford be willing to dress the First Lady free of charge? I really doubt she had to pay the MSRP.

And if they didn't, I think the cost would be out of pocket. The President has to pay for his own food too.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't Ford be willing to dress the First Lady free of charge? I really doubt she had to pay the MSRP.
She probably did get it free of charge, but that doesn't make a difference. TF is a brand about displaying your wealth with confidence & flair. That's not appropriate for her position. Barack's speeches on change and greater fairness are completely incongruous with his wife's dressing in uber expensive fashion brands (she wear's $600 trainers, too). (Also, see andrew96's post no. 18 on why Barack isn't wearing TF.)

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andrew96
Brooks Brothers, Presidents are almost exclusively dressed at the BB in downtown DC. Both Lincoln and Kennedy were killed in BB, if you go to DC and look at the jacked Lincoln was shot in you'll see the proof. They have the mirror he was fitted in, in the DC BB. I believe every president since Lincoln aside from FDR wore BB and J & M. It makes sense, a traditional American clothing maker, steeped in American history, and not overly expensive or liberal. Imagine the criticism he'd get if he wore Armani or Burburry. He was inaugurated in all brand new BB stuff.
I believe Obama has been an HSM customer (American made Burberry when he first started running), although he recently went to Martin Greenfield (who does make some stuff for BBGF, etc.). Bush wore a lot of Oxxford, and then there's George Whatshisname, the DC bespoke tailor who seems to do at least one suit for every recent POTUS. I've never heard about the downtown BB, though. EDIT: Multiple sources indicate he wore HSM for his inauguration, including this one: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...ing-watch.aspx

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
(Also, see andrew96's post no. 18 on why Barack isn't wearing TF.)

Nobody said Barack was wearing TF, the POTUS's wife should dress well, and Andrew96's post is wrong. As a Chicago boy, the Prez bought local. He needs to hook up with Despos.
teacha.gif

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
haters.jpg

I agree with this.
these are generally the same people that freak out whenever Obama is seen golfing or playing basketball or doing anything non-presidential. as if he isn't allowed to be a human being outside of his role as the president. and yes, i doubt very much that we, the taxpayers, are paying for that dress.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TF is a brand about displaying your wealth with confidence & flair. That's not appropriate for her position.

Says you. She is the wife of one of the most powerful men in the world. She better look like a f'n million bucks. And if you didn't tell me she was wearing TF, I wouldn't have even known and thought she looks good.

w.o.e.is.me.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's not appropriate for her position. Barack's speeches on change and greater fairness are completely incongruous with his wife's dressing in uber expensive fashion brands (she wear's $600 trainers, too).
1. exactly how is his message of 'change' incongruous with him either paying for, or being donated, an expensive dress? 2. you are aware that that his wife champions, often wears, and dresses her children in J.crew, correct? she often makes it a point to wear 'affordable' brands, even though that isn't necessary in my opinion. I fail to see how her wearing something expensive to visit English royalty is 'inappropriate' for position. Should she have gotten her gown from Wal-Mart?

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
Should she have gotten her gown from Wal-Mart?

T.J. Maxx

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
I fail to see how her wearing something expensive to visit English royalty is 'inappropriate' for position. Should she have gotten her gown from Wal-Mart?
The Duchess was wearing a $200 dress whereas Mrs. Obama was wearing a $2,000 dress. Your point is invalid.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
The Dutchess was wearing a $200 dress whereas Mrs. Obama was wearing a $2,000 dress. Your point is invalid.

This is Tom Ford we are talking about here. $2,000 would just about cover the cost of the gloves.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is Tom Ford we are talking about here. $2,000 would just about cover the cost of the gloves.

I wasn't talking about the TF dress, nor was I referring to the pictured instance where the Obamas are meeting with the Queen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads