• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar Stays

effers

Reaction score
Did a search and couldn't find anything on the topic, although it's probably been discussed.

Post up your favourite dress shirt collar stays and please share your experience. I've only had a chance to use the cheapo white/clear plastic collar stays and I'm not sure if there is a huge difference compared to other material stays i.e. metal

p.s. can't believe my first post on SF is a question about collar stays.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I use metal ones from Nordstroms. Some of my dress shirts still use the plastic ones that came with the shirt as it is not a common collar stay size(too small or too wide).

Edit: The ones WorkingOnIt posted on very similar to ones offered by Nordstroms. And cheaper.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a cheap set of metal stays off eBay, something like £15 for 10-12 pairs. I prefer metal to plastic but no point buying anything more expensive.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I recall, Alex Kabbaz recommends plastic stays, and that's good enough for me! I've had brass stays, but worried if one got into the wash, as stays inevitably do, it might damage or discolor the shirt.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the clear aluminum stays. They really enhance the collar roll.

effers

Reaction score
Question for those with metal stays - do they help with the natural roll of your collar or does it make it unnaturally stiff? I would imagine this to be the biggest difference?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
As I recall, Alex Kabbaz recommends plastic stays, and that's good enough for me! I've had brass stays, but worried if one got into the wash, as stays inevitably do, it might damage or discolor the shirt.
+1 Kabbaz thinks it wears out collars or something like that. Also, I think any extra weight in the collar stays can make the collar droop. Then again... Kabbaz sells the magnetic collar stays on his site.

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
This should help....
there are numerous collar stays in all kinds of materials available with prices ranging from $1 to well over $6000. Collar Bones Materials Classic materials for collar stays are brass, sterling silver, 14Kt gold or mother of pearl. In addition to that, stainless steel, titanium, horn, precious wood or even ivory and diamonds are used to craft collar stays. Those are generally sturdier than their plastic counterparts and thus it usually does not matter if you forget to remove them before having them laundered - they should look just fine afterwards. However, wooden collar stays and such made out of mother of pearl should definitely be removed in any case before being laundered. Metal collar stays are less flexible and heavier than plastic ones. Personally, I like that because it gives the collar a sleeker look.
http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/collar-stays/
06.jpg

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There's a fairly uber-expensive pair of MOP collar stays on the Hanger Project web shop (or at least there was at some point; I'm too lazy to check right now). MOP seems like a decent compromise between plastic and metal: you get some of the heft of metal, but some of the flexibility of plastic and (presumably) less wear 'n tear on the collar over time.

I've thought about taking the plunge, but IIRC, the price was somewhere just south of $60 for a single pair of stays, and I lose stays frequently enough to make that price absurd.

Johnny_V

Reaction score
Just a note with mother of pearl collar stays - I had one break on me fairly easy
They are not flexible at all - I had the tateossian one.
If you're going to buy them - buy at least 2 sets - just in case one does break.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get metal collar stays off ebay.

Roger Everett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by effers
Question for those with metal stays - do they help with the natural roll of your collar or does it make it unnaturally stiff? I would imagine this to be the biggest difference?

You can put a gentle curve in the metal stays. and when installed would give you any degree of roll you want, depending on how much bend you put in them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads