• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

pfurey

Reaction score
My buddy was teaching me how to ride yesterday evening and it was amazing. Rode around town on a Rebel.

What's a good first bike? He told me to get a Rebel to learn on, or a CB350. Input? Max cash is $3k-ish.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any opinions on Honda CB400 vs Yamaha SR400 vs Kwaka W400 for city riding and shortish weekend tours in twisty terain.

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pfurey
My buddy was teaching me how to ride yesterday evening and it was amazing. Rode around town on a Rebel. What's a good first bike? He told me to get a Rebel to learn on, or a CB350. Input? Max cash is $3k-ish.
Rebel and the similar Nighthawk CB250 are great bikes. My first bike was a Nighthawk. They are easy to work on and reliable to a fault. The only downside is they don't have a very high top speed (you'll be okay on the freeway for legal speeds). Another great option with a higher top speed is the Kawasaki Ninja 250 or 500. Also, slightly up the price scale is the new Honda CBR250R. The general rule of thumb I go by for a first bike is look for a used twin-cylinder that is 650cc or smaller. Having a lighter and slower revving bike just makes initial learning easier. You can always change bikes when you feel you're ready.

sonomadrifter

Reaction score
That silver cb750 looks very clean.

Working on the seat a little:

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr133/mnkymits/******/afadf.jpg

Anyone know of a place to find a good tail light? I've searched all over for a small, round, dual function that I can sink in the seat but nothing is footing the bill. Led or bulb is fine.

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonomadrifter
Anyone know of a place to find a good tail light? I've searched all over for a small, round, dual function that I can sink in the seat but nothing is footing the bill. Led or bulb is fine.

Have you looked at Clear Alternatives' integrated tail lights? Not perfectly round, but close. They may have a round model somewhere.

Option 1

Option 2

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How lame would it be for an adult male like myself to get something like a ninja 250r or CB250r for a first bike? I'm 6' 180lbs. I've sat on a Ninja 650r before and it felt about right, I'm thinking I would feel huge on one. Would just want something for cruising around the city, running errands, etc.. occasionally hitting up some back roads on the weekends.

I'm looking at a lot of bikes though, found some fairly beat up cb750s and cb450s for cheap. Was thinking about buying something and going the cafe racer route. I also like SV650s and the newer Ninja 650r.

6up

Reaction score
Hey Pilot......if the price is right, buy the 250cc and ride it for the yr. Once your over the learning curve, upgrade to 600+cc. No shame in starting small.

Kookz

Reaction score
For those of you that can handle traveling carry-on only, there's free motorcycle parking at Newark Airport. Pretty awesome!
255019_693224275879_4801782_35870769_6702925_n.jpg

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pilot
How lame would it be for an adult male like myself to get something like a ninja 250r or CB250r for a first bike? I'm 6' 180lbs. I've sat on a Ninja 650r before and it felt about right, I'm thinking I would feel huge on one. Would just want something for cruising around the city, running errands, etc.. occasionally hitting up some back roads on the weekends.

I'm looking at a lot of bikes though, found some fairly beat up cb750s and cb450s for cheap. Was thinking about buying something and going the cafe racer route. I also like SV650s and the newer Ninja 650r.

No shame at all. One of the fastest (and safest) locals back home in California leads rides with literbikes on his Ninja 250. Anyone who implies a 250 is shameful is just a tool. Ride your own ride, and then pass them on the racetrack.

KnowYourRights

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oski
I want a CB750 so bad. Edit: found one for $900 with low miles. Would need some cosmetic tlc and possible handlebar switch. Thoughts? This would be my first bike! http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/2414212445.html
If you're sold on a '70s Honda, go for the CB550. You get almost all the performance of the 750 without all the weight. The 750 is a big, heavy pig. Or better, save up some cash and get yourself a '70s Triumph T140 or TR7. It will appreciate much better than a Honda. It has a modern-traffic-freeway-capable 750cc motor, and it weighs 100lbs less than a CB750...and 30 lbs less than a CB550.

Oski

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KnowYourRights
If you're sold on a '70s Honda, go for the CB550. You get almost all the performance of the 750 without all the weight. The 750 is a big, heavy pig.

Or better, save up some cash and get yourself a '7os Triumph T140 or TR7. It will appreciate much better than a Honda. It has a modern-traffic-freeway-capable 750cc motor, and it weighs 100lbs less than a CB750...and 30 lbs less than a CB550.

Good advice, thank you. I'm pretty set on a cafe racer and the look of Honda's initially caught my eye. How crucial is the weight of a bike when it comes to the overall riding experience and handling?

I'm fairly new to all this, so any input from experienced riders would be great.

KnowYourRights

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oski
Good advice, thank you. I'm pretty set on a cafe racer and the look of Honda's initially caught my eye. How crucial is the weight of a bike when it comes to the overall riding experience and handling? I'm fairly new to all this, so any input from experienced riders would be great.
Low speed stuff--parking lots, maneuvering the bike in and out of your garage/carport/shed, etc.--can be a pain with a heavy bike. Since you're new to riding, you'll drop the bike at some point. More weight may be an advantage if all you're doing is blasting down the freeway for miles on end. Otherwise, light is--generally--good. A CB750 with a full tank of gas weighs about 490 pounds. My '79 Bonneville 750 weighs 395 pounds wet. My '71 Daytona 500cc weighs about 330 pounds. Granted, all I own are old British bikes, so I'm a bit biased. But if you want a vintage bike as your first, I'd say give a '70s Triumph a try. Parts are plentiful. And the bikes are very easy to work on. And they have half as many cylinders as that CB750. All vintage bikes of all ethnicities have their quirks and weak points. So do your homework on each individual machine you're thinking about buying.

6up

Reaction score
All vintage bikes of all ethnicities have their quirks and weak points. So do your homework on each individual machine you're thinking about buying.
+1....be prepared to get your hands dirty. My 78-550K and 82GS750 looked great but spent a lot of time in the garage UNTIL I had time to work on it. If you want something a little more modern and reliable go with a 88 Honda Hawk, a cafe'd SV650 or W650

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads