• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soporific Tie Pr0n

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
I don't think the width is an issue with Hober, don't you just order it the way you want it? Either way, I'm not a fan of silvery ties and think it may be too formal looking for a cotton suit? But I like the garza fina.

Good points, Kaplan. Silvery is not what I want. Besides, I need the tie before June 20 (in The Netherlands), so maybe Sam Hober isn't an option for this one.

Getzione

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Good points, Kaplan. Silvery is not what I want. Besides, I need the tie before June 20 (in The Netherlands), so maybe Sam Hober isn't an option for this one.

If not blue, nor grey, how about a forest green?

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
NOBD, For weddings or special events we often can make a tie in one or two days if you ask us. The rest is up to the mailing choice that you prefer. As Kaplan mentions width is not an issue. We do not have any ties on hand only rolls of fabric. So you pick the length, width, shape, knot type construction etc. If you need any help please let me know.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Getzione
If not blue, nor grey, how about a forest green?
I'd like that for autumn/winter.
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
NOBD, For weddings or special events we often can make a tie in one or two days if you ask us. The rest is up to the mailing choice that you prefer. As Kaplan mentions width is not an issue. We do not have any ties on hand only rolls of fabric. So you pick the length, width, shape, knot type construction etc. If you need any help please let me know.
Thank you, David. Well, I'm a wedding guest; not sure that counts... I will check the site anyway. The silvery grey is indeed probably too silvery for me; I like a relaxed, informal look (the wedding isn't a formal one either). What do you think of the Grenadine Fina with this (lightweight) cotton suit? Other fabric recommendations? I like some texture in the fabric.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
... Thank you, David. Well, I'm a wedding guest; not sure that counts... I will check the site anyway. The silvery grey is indeed probably to silvery for me; I like a relaxed, informal look (the wedding isn't a formal one either). What do you think of the Grenadine Fina with this (lightweight) cotton suit? Other fabric recommendations? I like some texture in the fabric.
Being a wedding guest certainly counts - its great that the wedding is important to you and you are thinking of a special tie to wear. Picking a tie should be emotional in addition to a match of colors and texture - so I would go with your first choice of a grenadine garza fina. Feel free to email me if I can help you further. Even if time does not comfortably allow for this wedding I will be happy to send you swatches to think about for the future.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NOBD, if you are interested in any particular 7cm drakes tie, try emailing them to check if they have it ib 8/9 cm width. I emailed them recently and they confirmed that they have several in other widths that what is shown on the website

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
Being a wedding guest certainly counts - its great that the wedding is important to you and you are thinking of a special tie to wear.

Picking a tie should be emotional in addition to a match of colors and texture - so I would go with your first choice of a grenadine garza fina.

Feel free to email me if I can help you further. Even if time does not comfortably allow for this wedding I will be happy to send you swatches to think about for the future.

Thanks again, David. I'll try to send you an email later today to see if June 20 is attainable. I (or rather 'we'...) have to figure out the measurements as well.

Do you (or someone else) happen to have real life pictures of the Dark Chocolate and/or the Bitter Chocolate (grenadine garza fina)?

Originally Posted by aj_del
NOBD, if you are interested in any particular 7cm drakes tie, try emailing them to check if they have it ib 8/9 cm width. I emailed them recently and they confirmed that they have several in other widths that what is shown on the website

Good tip, aj_del. Thanks.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again, David. I'll try to send you an email later today to see if June 20 is attainable. I (or rather 'we'...) have to figure out the measurements as well.

Do you (or someone else) happen to have real life pictures of the Dark Chocolate and/or the Bitter Chocolate (grenadine garza fina)?

From the very same Sam Hober appreciation thread, worn by threadbearer:

Closeup-52.jpg

I cannot tell at a distance what the weave is. I'm enjoying your mini-saga, however.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
NOBD, I think the light brown linen tie that Kaplan posted would be great with your cotton suit. Or something else in that tan shade.

Also grenadines seems like wintery ties to me (just my preference).

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unlined,untipped grenadine fina may work just fine.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
NOBD, I think the light brown linen tie that Kaplan posted would be great with your cotton suit. Or something else in that tan shade.

I don't share the latter preference (although I can appreciate why they "feel" that way), but I agree that the brown one, if wider, would contrast nicely.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker

Thanks, Parker. I can see light brown working, but for me it's a dangerous tie colour to buy without actually seeing it. If it's the wrong shade, I might really dislike it. Darker brown seems to have a larger error margin for me.

I understand about the wintery thing; I feel that way about cashmere ties with this summer suit, whereas others don´t have a problem with that. I thought the fine (fina) one would be nice in spring/summer"”what forex says:

Originally Posted by forex
Unlined,untipped grenadine fina may work just fine.

Sounds good. I will discuss the construction options/preferences with David.

Originally Posted by softy
I don't share the latter preference (although I can appreciate why they "feel" that way), but I agree that the brown one, if wider, would contrast nicely.

Noted. I think the dark brown grenadines will provide a nice contrast as well. Imagine a light blue and white gingham shirt between the tie and the jacket and mid brown suede (well, of course) shoes with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads