• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinveritas
How much would a suit, say a worsted wool super 130s, cost with WW Chan? And would they be able to finish a suit, including fittings, within five (5) days? Thanks.

Originally Posted by dbc
Different fabric = differnet price. But you're looking at at least HK$10,000, but quite possibly a bit more.

5 days: no way.

It depends on how many fittings you want. For the most part I believe they can finish it in 5 days.

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
It depends on how many fittings you want. For the most part I believe they can finish it in 5 days.
Nah, I asked about 3 weeks ago when I was there. Their workshop is extremely busy at the moment. They used to be able to though. Of course, if you only want one fitting, that might be another story altogether.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Nah, I asked about 3 weeks ago when I was there. Their workshop is extremely busy at the moment.

They used to be able to though.

Of course, if you only want one fitting, that might be another story altogether.

They're that busy? No wonder they can raise their prices.
laugh.gif

Mork

Reaction score

For my first Chan suit and sportscoat, I had about that long in HK. I was measured and chose fabric on day 1, came back day 3 for a basted fitting and again on day 5 for a second fitting. But I left the clothes there for them to finish it off (final adjustments, buttonholes, etc.), and they mailed it to me about 2 weeks later. I was very happy with the results of that process.

(I was much less happy with my second attempt when I tried to do it by ordering ahead and only coming in for a single basted fitting - we're still trying to sort that one out ...)

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mork
For my first Chan suit and sportscoat, I had about that long in HK. I was measured and chose fabric on day 1, came back day 3 for a basted fitting and again on day 5 for a second fitting. But I left the clothes there for them to finish it off (final adjustments, buttonholes, etc.), and they mailed it to me about 2 weeks later. I was very happy with the results of that process.

(I was much less happy with my second attempt when I tried to do it by ordering ahead and only coming in for a single basted fitting - we're still trying to sort that one out ...)

I got my first Chan suit in 5 days also. Day 1 was fabric selection then Day 2, I got a basted fitting then Day 4 a final fitting and took it home that day.

My second suit was done on tour and i thought they nailed it on the second suit.

Mork

Reaction score
I got my first Chan suit in 5 days also. Day 1 was fabric selection then Day 2, I got a basted fitting then Day 4 a final fitting and took it home that day.

My second suit was done on tour and i thought they nailed it on the second suit.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised at the second, given that the first was so good. Big issues with sleeve length, that weren't apparent at the basted fitting. Don't want to be too critical, though, until they've had a chance to fix it up ... frustrating as it is, obviously these things can happen.

I think I've learned some key lessons, though, including:

- pick fabric in person rather than by scanned images (the tones were different to what I expected)

- need to call the Chan workshop - relying on email with them at the moment is death.

- at least 2 fittings.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mork
Yeah, I was kind of surprised at the second, given that the first was so good. Big issues with sleeve length, that weren't apparent at the basted fitting. Don't want to be too critical, though, until they've had a chance to fix it up ... frustrating as it is, obviously these things can happen.

I think I've learned some key lessons, though, including:

- pick fabric in person rather than by scanned images (the tones were different to what I expected)

- need to call the Chan workshop - relying on email with them at the moment is death.

- at least 2 fittings.

Picking fabric in person is a must and as many fittings as time allows.

JTA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tang
After spending some time browsing the various posts in SF regarding tailors in HK, think i'm set for my scheduled holiday there in July.

I am intending to tailor only shirts in HK so will prob be making bout half a dozen with Peter of Baron (for my usual daily office wear) and a few spiffy ones at either Ascot Chang or WW Chan.

In this respect, i would really appreiciate it you guys can give your personal thoughts on whether i should head to Ascot Chang or WW Chan. And any updates on prices of shirts at these respective places will be helpful too.

Thanks.

Better start slowly by building up a constructive relationship with the tailors first.

I would suggest to get one shirt from each tailor first, then after the end product you can decide which one is your preference. Once they have your measurements, you can do online order and post the finished product to you.

vinveritas

Reaction score
Does Ascot Chang and WW Chan have a minimum shirt requirement for first timers?

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JTA
I would suggest to get one shirt from each tailor first.

Originally Posted by vinveritas
Does Ascot Chang and WW Chan have a minimum shirt requirement for first timers?

AC has a minimum order requirement of 3.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picking fabric in person is a must and as many fittings as time allows.

I picked a fabric via e-mail images for one blazer I ordered from Chan, and I was thoroughly delighted with the result--looked even better in real life.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I picked a fabric via e-mail images for one blazer I ordered from Chan, and I was thoroughly delighted with the result--looked even better in real life.

But its safer to see the fabric in person.

tang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JTA
Better start slowly by building up a constructive relationship with the tailors first.

I would suggest to get one shirt from each tailor first, then after the end product you can decide which one is your preference. Once they have your measurements, you can do online order and post the finished product to you.

Thanks for the various advice guys. Understand that AC has a min order of 3 shirts so afraid it might not be feasible to order one shirt from both AC and Chan.

Am likely to try AC first this time round, don't wanna risk spending too much time at different tailors and incur the wrath of my girlfriend. =)

Will try out Chan next time when i intend to get a suit and will get a few shirts from him too to compare.

For those that have tried AC previously, is it customary for AC to use darts on the back of the shirt or does he accommodate the taper when sewing the hem by the sides?

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tang
Thanks for the various advice guys. Understand that AC has a min order of 3 shirts so afraid it might not be feasible to order one shirt from both AC and Chan.

Am likely to try AC first this time round, don't wanna risk spending too much time at different tailors and incur the wrath of my girlfriend. =)

Will try out Chan next time when i intend to get a suit and will get a few shirts from him too to compare.

For those that have tried AC previously, is it customary for AC to use darts on the back of the shirt or does he accommodate the taper when sewing the hem by the sides?

Darts were default for my order.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads