• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hmmurdock
I believe Kiton puts a strict cap of 40% ULL in their clothing.
The ull prices have been outrageous lately. I can't afford more than 40% of it in anything.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
70201.jpg

picked up this today for $40. That is a lot more than the prices people normally get stuff here but it was pretty much brand new and fits like a glove

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had my first decent thrifting day in what seems like years.

- NWT Z Zegna gray chalk stripe suit.

- NWT Z Zegna birdseye sportcoat (marked jacket on the inside label).

- Fairly recent Isaia S/B peak lapel brown shadow stripe sportcoat. 3 btn. Big size - US 50 R.

- Incotex Chino Lino. 33. British khaki.

- Masons cargo shorts. 38 waist.

- J Hilburn Clothiers summer striped cotton trousers. 38

Other little stuff (NWT Tommy Bahama linen shorts, etc).

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only had time to hit 2 thrifts in the Boston metro so far but...

Henry Poole navy blazer
Henry Poole silk suit
Henry Poole plaid pants
An oxxford tie, some RL black label pants, couple other odds and ends... I'm impressed so far, a lot of other decent stuff I'd normally pick up too but I didn't want to have to check another bag! I've seen some sick vintage Brooks Bros sportcoats that I am already regretting leaving behind...

Oh, and thanks for everybody who has sent me suggestions on where to go
smile.gif

mgz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by davesmith
whats 40% ULL??
It's norwegian, means wool.

Hornswaggler

Reaction score
I went to a place that sells by the pound, hit the tie bin, and scored about 3 lbs. of ties for just under $5. In that pile were a couple raw silks & grenadines, wool ties, a cotton tie with a really cool texture, and all sorts of designer whatnot.

Also picked up two really nice blazers (one Oxxford, one Bill Blass).

Photos TK.

(Note: Those of you who PMed me about the RLPL and the Oxxford suits a week or so ago; I went back the next day and they were gone! Curses!)

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
Only had time to hit 2 thrifts in the Boston metro so far but...

Henry Poole navy blazer
Henry Poole silk suit
Henry Poole plaid pants
An oxxford tie, some RL black label pants, couple other odds and ends... I'm impressed so far, a lot of other decent stuff I'd normally pick up too but I didn't want to have to check another bag! I've seen some sick vintage Brooks Bros sportcoats that I am already regretting leaving behind...

Oh, and thanks for everybody who has sent me suggestions on where to go
smile.gif

worship.gif

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All these great hauls make me envious....I hit GW the other night and one a week and a half ago while at my parents and I swear I see the same ties they had 6 months to a year ago. Anyone else have that happen

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hornswaggler
I went to a place that sells by the pound, hit the tie bin, and scored about 3 lbs. of ties for just under $5. In that pile were a couple raw silks & grenadines, wool ties, a cotton tie with a really cool texture, and all sorts of designer whatnot.

Also picked up two really nice blazers (one Oxxford, one Bill Blass).

I have never found a single grenadine in the wild, ever. And I look for them. I have found a few Oxxfords and am impressed with their workmanship.

By the pound. Great finds.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bit of an ironic outcome today. I went shopping for some crappy old clothes, for a fancy dress party we're going to. I didn't find any of the crappy gear I was trying to get, but I did find these.

Ermenegildo Zegna blazer, 54R
5767379918_186e79b1c8_z.jpg

AE Park Avenues, size 10B
5766838643_52820a18a1_z.jpg

(I've never seen PAs for sale here, let alone in an op shop).

The Zegna jacket and the AEs are not my size, so are up FSOT.

The rest was all in my size:

Brioni shirt (sadly only just wearable)
5767382584_a1bda63f10_z.jpg

Slacks by Zegna and Zanella
5766839099_ce267cca99_z.jpg

5766839753_34dc20d941_z.jpg

Pure ostrich hide belt (unbranded)
5767380350_ae80d36085_z.jpg

Couple of cycling jerseys, one NWT
5767383092_afaa09a3f3_z.jpg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkidd41011
All these great hauls make me envious....I hit GW the other night and one a week and a half ago while at my parents and I swear I see the same ties they had 6 months to a year ago. Anyone else have that happen
Not as much as six months but I've seen some ties that have been there for at least three weeks. At the GWs that I go to, the tie rack can be a hit or miss.

Hornswaggler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by seanmj
Same thing here re: grenadines. I've never found one. In fact, I've never seen one for sale period except online. I was at a small menswear shop that sells Kiton, Brioni, etc., and asked if they had any grenadines. The salesman said no one had asked for a grenadine in 20 years and asked where I learned the term. "You must have read Flusser."

I'm still a noob, so yours and Steve's posts had me doubting myself.

However, going through the pile this morning removed all doubts. Here are a couple close-ups.

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Unfortunately, the Paul Stuart has some kind of stain. What are the odds I can get that out? I figured it would be worth a shot, given I paid something like twenty cents for the tie.
colgate.gif

Pics of the rest to come shortly.

Hornswaggler

Reaction score
Here's yesterday's haul. The small images are clickable thumbnails:

Ties (1 of 3)
27.jpg

From left: Jos A. Bank (that some genius used a piece of scotch tape to put the keeper in place on), Isaco (?), Renovati(?), Countess Mara, ?, Vineyard Vines NWT

Ties (2 of 3)
24.jpg

From left: Guy La Roche, Peterborough Row, Liberty of London, Rooster (lambswool); WM Chelsea Ltd. (?), YSL

Ties (3 of 3)
22.jpg

From left: Unknown (raw silk; I tried to get a good photo of the slubs & failed), Compagnia Della Seta (a cotton, not quite corduroy tie), Armani, Macy's, BB, Paul Stuart, Club Room (the last two are the grenadines)

With this guy, any idea what the brand is? It said "Palau de Musica Catalana - Barcelona" and the M/M looks like a designer's mark...

Charcoal Oxxford Jacket:
14.jpg

I haven't measured it yet, but I'm fairly certain this is a 38R.

12.jpg

This, as per the thumbnail, is a 39R, 95/5 wool cashmere, and I wish it fit me (the 4th image is truest to color). At some point, I'll be ready to deal with selling and/or trading for something in my size. I'll hold onto these jackets until then, don't worry.

It was a good day for wool pants. I got two pairs of pretty agreeable BR wool pants in my size (31), and one pair of an unidentified brand, that had a nice color.

Lastly, I found a small BR wool sweater ("extra fine merino," it claims). It fit perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads