• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Ambrosi - where are you? why no respond?

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post from Naples:

Having spent the whole day going around from Sartorie to Camicerie and spent a great deal of time having espresso and discussing the Internet impact on Neapolitan tailoring, the funny things is that this Ambrosi is not even considered that good by most of them and the very best Pantalonaio, now 80 years old and still going, is the most expensive ever charging 250 Euro per construction only whilst the rest work around the 100 -150 euro mark, so the price charged to most of you seams to be plain robbery.

I have ordered an H&S Mohair/merino blend in light blue, 2 button SB suit and I am thinking to order one or two odd trousers , possibly a grey pinstriped and a beige one, hope to post soon some pictures

CaymanS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marcodalondra
Post from Naples:

Having spent the whole day going around from Sartorie to Camicerie and spent a great deal of time having espresso and discussing the Internet impact on Neapolitan tailoring, the funny things is that this Ambrosi is not even considered that good by most of them and the very best Pantalonaio, now 80 years old and still going, is the most expensive ever charging 250 Euro per construction only whilst the rest work around the 100 -150 euro mark, so the price charged to most of you seams to be plain robbery.

I have ordered an H&S Mohair/merino blend in light blue, 2 button SB suit and I am thinking to order one or two odd trousers , possibly a grey pinstriped and a beige one, hope to post soon some pictures

lurker[1].gif

hatguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
Btw, all of my annoying posts/threads/e-mails worked

Objective achieved.

It's a shame that a thread on SF is necessary for Salvatore to complete his obligations, however, if it worked for Foo and AB, I'll do the same.

Salvatore, if you're reading this, I just want the pants I paid for.

banis

Reaction score
Post from Naples:

Oh, you should have not revealed that secret.
smile.gif
All those unsatisfied Ambrosi's clients will have to make seppuku now.

On a serious side, I liked how my pants from GV turned out. There is probably the same amount of handwork (maybe 6.75% less), but they are great. Why would you go with a pinstriped odd trousers?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Post from Naples:

keep an eye out in the local pizza parlours for a guy w/ bayonet-sided avaitor shades

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
Oh, you should have not revealed that secret.
smile.gif
All those unsatisfied Ambrosi's clients will have to make seppuku now. On a serious side, I liked how my pants from GV turned out. There is probably the same amount of handwork (maybe 6.75% less), but they are great. Why would you go with a pinstriped odd trousers?

I thought that the euro/lira inflation had a greater impact on shirtmakers and trousermakers in Naples after reading those forums, as the prices in lire were much cheaper. It turns out that few people are charging tourist marks up..., with Gianni Volpe you can specify as much detailing as you like as I did with both my shirts order today from two different shirtmakers. I ll pm you about the third one that could not fit me in for the Muslim fitting before I leave... The grey pinstripe is for a mezzo tight project (stroller in American English)... I would eventually order a jacket of the same material to make it double use as a separate suit but wanted to get the pattern right on this coat where we are working on amending my old pattern..

blackdice

Reaction score
Post from Naples:

That was exactly the impression that I got from the folks whom I spoke to in Napoli.
Not owning any Ambrosi trousers myself, however, I am not making any judgement here and would love to compare his work to the ones I got from other tailors.

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackdice
That was exactly the impression that I got from the folks whom I spoke to in Napoli.
Not owning any Ambrosi trousers myself, however, I am not making any judgement here and would love to compare his work to the ones I got from other tailors.

From my experience if you have a good relations and results with your current tailor and are fully satisfied with it, there is no need to go to anyone else. Difference will be so minor that it would probably not be efficient to jump from one place to another.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I'm open to correction by the OP, but when AB says that, "all of my annoying posts/threads/e-mails worked. Objective achieved," I think that he means that they were successfully annoying.

I could be wrong, though.

- B

Also possible that the OP produced this thread as dispositive evidence of psychiatric fitness for a gender reassignment.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
From my experience if you have a good relations and results with your current tailor and are fully satisfied with it, there is no need to go to anyone else. Difference will be so minor that it would probably not be efficient to jump from one place to another.

But Ambrosi does the little button in the cuffs... that's worth the €100/month (or part thereof) that il maestro charges for the exquisite torture of making you wait while your fabric sits in a bin on top of your pattern.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
Btw, all of my annoying posts/threads/e-mails worked Objective achieved.
I was completely with you in the beginning but given your 'performance' since you started this, I too think you've achieved your objective. If your objective was to show what a dickhead you are.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hatguy
It's a shame that a thread on SF is necessary for Salvatore to complete his obligations, however, if it worked for Foo and AB, I'll do the same.

Salvatore, if you're reading this, I just want the pants I paid for.

You are doing it wrong, you need 7 more new threads. go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads