• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Do you see it that often out there in SF? I've never seen a single menu that has had C&W unless you're in a soul food joint.

Yes. It seems to be a specialty of gourmet food trucks.

braised

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
there are many schools of fried chicken. pan fry/deep fry (yes, you got it right); batter coating/flour coating, midwest v. south etc. i pretty much like them all. probably the most memorable fried chicken i've had (maybe the best), was at an old place called deacon burton's in atlanta. walk in and they had basically a half-dozen home stoves lined up, each with a big cast-iron pan covering each burner and each filled with fried chicken sizzling away.

That's the way I do it but I have a chef friend who swears by a pressure fryer. We recently looked at a restaurant opportunity in our town and were going to build a menu around it but the space went off the market.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
For fast food joints, the one I grew up with in southern Ontario, was Harvey's. ****-tastic frozen burgers that are grilled and then you have about a dozen toppings to pick from to have it custom built in front of you behind a sneeze guard. They also have good fries which they serve as poutine. Usually open until after the bars close so perfect for the post-drunk pig out.

As for the most ****-tastic middle market sit down place...Swiss Chalet.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Yes. It seems to be a specialty of gourmet food trucks.
I can see how that might get annoying. Another thing we don't have down here - food trucks.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I can see how that might get annoying. Another thing we don't have down here - food trucks.

you will. worst food trend since the cupcake.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Gourmet" versions of anything really infuriate me. They are opening up a "gourmet" mac and cheese place nearby. I think it's just an excuse for people to eat unhealthy food but not be as guilty about it because somehow it's better than the Kraft **** you find at the supermarket.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you will. worst food trend since the cupcake.
How about pop-ups and underground restaurants? The latter, in San Francisco, is as sweaty and hairy as you might imagine.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
How about pop-ups and underground restaurants? The latter, in San Francisco, is as sweaty and hairy as you might imagine.

sounds like they have them at the post office?
i know david tanis does those in paris. sound like a lot of fun, actually.
and really, i like the way a lot of these things are opening up the idea of what a restaurant is and (more important) what it takes to open one. in socal these days, you've got to have a couple mill really to think about opening a decent restaurant. these things can be opened much more cheaply. it's kind of like punk bands against stadium rockers.
not that i go to them very often myself.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does Le Creuset use that plastic knob? I know that it can handle temps typical for what a french/dutch oven would be used for, but it sorta cheapens a $230 piece of cookware...especially when they have the nerve to sell a stainless version of the knob for $10 more.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's Bakelite I think, it's functional, why not? I have LC and Staub and damned if I don't forget about the staub's chrome handles and bun the **** out of my hand every time I use them in the oven.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
It's Bakelite I think, it's functional, why not? I have LC and Staub and damned if I don't forget about the staub's chrome handles and bun the **** out of my hand every time I use them in the oven.
If they wanted to be entirely pragmatic, I think aluminum would be the best choice for a knob because it can both handle any oven temp and it has a low heat capacity per volume. I know the entire thing is a big hunk of iron that gets hot, but something about that knob botherd me today (first time using my LC) for some reason, even though I was just braising and stayed well south of the knob's upper limit.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
For fast food joints, the one I grew up with in southern Ontario, was Harvey's. ****-tastic frozen burgers that are grilled and then you have about a dozen toppings to pick from to have it custom built in front of you behind a sneeze guard. They also have good fries which they serve as poutine. Usually open until after the bars close so perfect for the post-drunk pig out.

As for the most ****-tastic middle market sit down place...Swiss Chalet.

I ate at Harveys around once a week when I was a kid. It is on my must-do list every time I go back home for a visit.

marg

Reaction score
worst food trend since the cupcake.

where did the fascination with cupcakes come from? my gf is very careful with what she eats, but when we brought home crumbs cupcakes after visiting friends in nyc, and she went crazy over them. they weren't bad, but certainly not earth moving.

i don't get it. did women not go to enough elementary school birthday parties when they were younger?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
I ate at Harveys around once a week when I was a kid. It is on my must-do list every time I go back home for a visit.

fistbump.gif

Mine is right by the U of W, right off the Ambassador Bridge, on Wyandotte.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marg
where did the fascination with cupcakes come from? my gf is very careful with what she eats, but when we brought home crumbs cupcakes after visiting friends in nyc, and she went crazy over them. they weren't bad, but certainly not earth moving. i don't get it. did women not go to enough elementary school birthday parties when they were younger?
It provides a compact and condensed source of endorphins to temporarily fulfill and replace their lustful desires, while being small, thus low in calories, so once they do feel like actually copulating they remain in relatively decent shape.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads