• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit with no tie

cmrocks

Reaction score
Can a suit with no tie be worn out at night to restaurants, bars and clubs without looking like you're trying too hard? I really want an excuse to wear my suit but I don't have have an occasion for it. It's just a dark grey, 2 button suit and I would probably wear it with a white shirt and no tie of course. The white shirt I have in mind has stripes but the stripes are just made by changing the weave (I think?) of the suit. They are the same color, just different texture as the rest of the shirt.

What do you guys think?

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I usually get laid when I wear a suit out socially. Just make sure you're not going to biker bars or anything. Context is everything.

cmrocks

Reaction score
The place I'm planning on wearing it too is a different crowd than usual night clubs in the area it seems. You seem to find a lot of "nicer" girls from university there. You'll see them wearing party dresses or something like that quite often. I feel like a suit with no tie would fit in okay there. I have a girlfriend so I'm not looking to get laid or anything so I guess I shouldn't even worry what people would think.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
If the girls are in cocktail dresses, you will be looking great in a suit. I feel terrible for girls who do a nice job of prettifying themselves to go hang out with guys who can't think past True Religions and muscle shirts (or insert your preferred offensive generalization here).

Bottom line is that if you're comfortable in your suit, and you come across as comfortable and fun and not "trying too hard," then no one will think badly of you. Rock it!

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
Can a suit with no tie be worn out at night to restaurants, bars and clubs without looking like you're trying too hard? I really want an excuse to wear my suit but I don't have have an occasion for it. It's just a dark grey, 2 button suit and I would probably wear it with a white shirt and no tie of course. The white shirt I have in mind has stripes but the stripes are just made by changing the weave (I think?) of the suit. They are the same color, just different texture as the rest of the shirt.

What do you guys think?

I'll do this from time to time. It looks fine, just make sure you unbutton the shirt at the collar (i guess this is obvious) and make sure you feel comfortable in it and you'll look good. A white shirt is good, something with a pattern that doesn't look business like is good as well. You don't want to look like you just got off work and ditched the tie.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
You don't want to look like you just got off work and ditched the tie.

I don't know, I wouldn't mind that so much. I'm a geophysics student and work in the diamond exploration field, in my summers off anyways. That's always a good conversation topic because most girls find it pretty interesting. I don't need to mention that I'm actually still in school.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know, I wouldn't mind that so much. I'm a geophysics student and work in the diamond exploration field, in my summers off anyways. That's always a good conversation topic because most girls find it pretty interesting. I don't need to mention that I'm actually still in school.

I guess I'm of the opinion that outfits for business and leisure should necessarily be different.

Lysol

Reaction score
I think you would fair much better wearing a solid or very subtle pattern narrow tie (2.5-3") in a black, gray or navy. IMHO, I don't think there's a quicker way to make yourself look like the bouncer than wearing a suit without a tie to a nightclub or bar.

I'm not really a person that goes "clubbing" but those are my thoughts when my wife and I go out and pass men on the street who are on the prowl for the night. I think a tie would really up your game. Whenever I see anyone in a suit without a tie I subconsciously think that they are very adolescent in their wardrobe mindset and think ties are too "stuffy." A generation that grew up on Miami Vice. I think you would look much more sharp with a modern, narrow tie than without a tie at all. Maybe undo the top button and loosen the tie a bit if you want to "let your hair" down so to speak.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pocket squares are the new ties.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
A white shirt with a grey suit could be kind of boring, though. And it goes without saying that this look only works if the suit is slim.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lysol
I think you would fair much better wearing a solid or very subtle pattern narrow tie (2.5-3") in a black, gray or navy. IMHO, I don't think there's a quicker way to make yourself look like the bouncer than wearing a suit without a tie to a nightclub or bar.

I'm not really a person that goes "clubbing" but those are my thoughts when my wife and I go out and pass men on the street who are on the prowl for the night. I think a tie would really up your game. Whenever I see anyone in a suit without a tie I subconsciously think that they are very adolescent in their wardrobe mindset and think ties are too "stuffy." A generation that grew up on Miami Vice. I think you would look much more sharp with a modern, narrow tie than without a tie at all. Maybe undo the top button and loosen the tie a bit if you want to "let your hair" down so to speak.

I don't really feel that, although a tie can certainly step up your game if it's the right type. That said, much of it depends what clubs you're going to, and what the surrounding environment is going to be. Also, as I mentioned before, if you're going to do a tie, you need to make sure it looks un-business like.

Sometimes I definitely will ditch the tie from an outfit I wore to dinner, if I'm going clubbing, especially to a place that will be pretty warm. However, in that situation I would wear a suit and shirt combo that is not going to look like traditional business wear.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is exactly what I intend to do with the slim H&M charcoal wool suit I just picked up. I'll rock it with a polo or non business looking collared shirt. Might wear a slim tie if I feel the need.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
However, in that situation I would wear a suit and shirt combo that is not going to look like traditional business wear.

Could you give me an example of a suit and shirt combo that isn't considered business wear? I don't wear a suit very often so I don't have any idea what the difference is.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you give me an example of a suit and shirt combo that isn't considered business wear? I don't wear a suit very often so I don't have any idea what the difference is.

I think a wider collar is best, maybe even a big collar if you want to get funky. Make sure the shirt is slim. Maybe no conservative patterns? Maybe some thing with some sheen..

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sure, dark on dark combos are usually not considered traditional business wear, in general, though you have to be a bit careful to avoid the regis look with those. In terms of other looks, I think a peak lapel navy suit with a bold pinstripe, with a french or electric blue shirt would be a good look that doesn't look like you just got out of the office. You could also have suits with thin lapels and potentially one button jackets like the TaT stuff.

Lysol

Reaction score
i don't mean to suggest that it isn't acceptable to wear a suit sans tie to a club, it's almost too accepted is what i'm getting at. i often see guys in old city (trendy, imports from the suburbs, nightlife area in philadelphia) wearing this look and it seems to me like it's becoming an extension of the "amjack". of course, the devil is in the details but i think a tie would really seal the deal on making you look more sophisticated (think jude law in alfie) and not just some dude out on the town with his buddies hoping to bag a waitress. this is the first thing that comes to mind when i think "nightclub" and "suit with no tie":
a_night_at_the_roxbury.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads