• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much do you spend on groceries?

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a weekly basis, how much is your grocery bill? I know this will obviously vary if you are shopping for your family, as opposed to just buying for yourself, but how much do you average per week? I know that Americans noticeably spend less than 10 percent of their disposable income on food, so I am curious to see how much of your income you allocate towards buying food, and how much of a priority it is when considering quality and health.

(I shop for myself only and probably will average somewhere around $100-$150 per week.)

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spend $250-300 per week for myself, wife, and two small kids. This is our total grocery-store bill, though, which includes non-food items like toilet paper and cat food. Still, I would love to reign in our grocery spending, but I have to remind myself that we eat most meals at home.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
WTF. I almost started this exact thread earlier today. I spend anywhere between $70-$150 a week as well to feed myself and my girlfriend (she also buys sometimes).

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
WTF. I almost started this exact thread earlier today.

I spend anywhere between $70-$150 a week as well to feed myself and my girlfriend (she also buys sometimes).

Beat you to it, man.
smile.gif

That's pretty good for two. The bulk of my bill is dedicated towards protein. Some weeks I may spend more than others, depending on what kinds of meat are available at the market. I'd like to find a way to cut down on this expense and perhaps buy more of it in bulk to freeze, but it's just more convenient to buy fresh each week.

bmf895

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Beat you to it, man.
smile.gif

That's pretty good for two. The bulk of my bill is dedicated towards protein. Some weeks I may spend more than others, depending on what kinds of meat are available at the market. I'd like to find a way to cut down on this expense and perhaps buy more of it in bulk to freeze, but it's just more convenient to buy fresh each week.

Try to not pigeon-hole yourself into thinking the protein must be meat. Beans, legumes, and grains are loaded with protein and can easily serve as the center piece to a meal. Plus they are way cheaper than most cuts of meats.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$120 for myself... maybe more. I can do far less if I need to.

I have eaten very well for like $5 a day.

Impolyt is going to win this thread... it's like $3000 every 4 days.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmf895
Try to not pigeon-hole yourself into thinking the protein must be meat. Beans, legumes, and grains are loaded with protein and can easily serve as the center piece to a meal. Plus they are way cheaper than most cuts of meats.

That's not paleo.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$80-100 per week + $50 for booze. Mostly organic. No meat.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
That's not paleo.
I've no problem with eating legumes and beans occasionally; I'm not fanatic over it. But I've never really been a fan of those foods as the main part of a dish, anyway. I'd much rather have lamb as the focus of my meal than, say, lentils, but that's just a matter of personal preference, and has nothing to do with health or a matter of being "paleo" or not.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
family of 5, at least a grand a month and my wife is very health consious im the fattie.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Family of 4,sometimes 6 if my parents are visiting. Spend around $1K a month on groceries alone.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in stitches has THREE kids?

-_- whaat???

i've actually done $100 for 2 weeks before. I try to keep it below 60 a week, but sometimes i go up to 100. rarely eat out.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sometimes $7 in a day, sometimes a couple hundred. For two. Can't say on an average week. Maybe $350.

thatguymj

Reaction score
Somewhere between 150-200 a week for my GF and I at the actual grocery store.

We also eat out maybe 3 to 6 meals a week so add on at least another 60-200 minimum to the above total, depending on what sort of restaurants we go to in a given week, and that's my actual "food cost" on a weekly basis

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yeah.... no comment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads