• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre-2010 Borrelli shirts

lbcgav

Reaction score
I keep seeing this in the B&S forum. What happend in 2010 that makes the pre-2010 Borrellis that much more desirable?

Kenneth Cole Haan

Reaction score
I dont know personally but I heard elsewhere that they greatly reduced the amount of handwork and used smaller shell buttons--discontinuing the 'cake' ones.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe a sign of popularity, sales increase, demand increase, apply economy of scale and ...

rsuhandy

Reaction score
Less hand work...cheaper buttons....and poorer quality overall...
Still a good shirt....just not what they used to be.....

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The difference is amazing, if you have ever handled both.

Although the stock I got from Ian at STF has amazing handwork, although I am pretty sure its post 2010.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
The difference is amazing, if you have ever handled both.

Although the stock I got from Ian at STF has amazing handwork, although I am pretty sure its post 2010.

+1. There is a world of difference. I try to pick up as many pre-2010 as I can find. There are still some out there- esp at STF.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne
+1. There is a world of difference. I try to pick up as many pre-2010 as I can find. There are still some out there- esp at STF.

You think Ians are pre-2010? I was amazed when I took them out of the box, totally expecting machine everything, but they are up to 100% pre2010 standards. I think I need to go look for more from his store.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I have a handful of them...and one is a new model. and there is a HUGE difference. Buttons were the biggest gripe, and way less hand stitching. Still a great shirt no doubt, but a far cry from the old stuff.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
You think Ians are pre-2010? I was amazed when I took them out of the box, totally expecting machine everything, but they are up to 100% pre2010 standards. I think I need to go look for more from his store.

Not all of them. I just look at the buttons in the pics. You can also see the hand attached collars if you look closely......

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't they have a rather large tax fraud issue?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne
IIRC the company was sold as a result. The current owners lowered quality across the line.

I thought the Borrelli family still owned the company.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cole Haan
I dont know personally but I heard elsewhere that they greatly reduced the amount of handwork and used smaller shell buttons--discontinuing the 'cake' ones.

Not entirely true. Most of the post 2010 shirts still have the thick mop button's but a few of them don't therefore making it harder to differentiate the two. I love the old shirts but you have to be careful on sizing as many were made for the American market where as the new shirts seem to be very slim Euro market shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics