• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ITT: We recommend... if you like brand X, you might try brand Y.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
If you liked Helmut Lang you would have liked Jean Colonna
If you like Dior Homme you'll like Nicolas Andreas Taralis
If you like ME/Oligarch style and find Kiton too cheap and LV too sedate you'll like Zilli

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
KitsunÃ
00a9.png
+ Pierre Hardy colorama hi top. A little bit too hype but sometimes it works.

If you like Studio d'Artisan you'll like bleu de paname

If you like Guidi bags you'll like NumÃ
00a9.png
ro 10

If you like individual sentiments you'll like Marvielab

Very nice call on the Numero 10.

If you like Banal Chic Bizarre, there is a good chance that you'll like Guts Dynamite Cabaret.

If you like Dries van Noten, you will like Kolor.

If you like knits, and are somewhere between Margiela and Borrelli, you will like Inoue Brothers.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Very nice call on the Numero 10.

If you like Banal Chic Bizarre, there is a good chance that you'll like Guts Dynamite Cabaret.

If you like Dries van Noten, you will like Kolor.

If you like knits, and are somewhere between Margiela and Borrelli, you will like Inoue Brothers.

I am wearing a royal blue Borrelli knit today and obviously like Margiela so I checked these guys out, more ethnic than I thought, sorta like DvN meets Bless.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Jil lovers will like Bottega Veneta FW11

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^What I want to know is what if I like Bottega Veneta S/S 2010 but I'm on a budget? Guess that's what pictures are for...
musicboohoo[1].gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am wearing a royal blue Borrelli knit today and obviously like Margiela so I checked these guys out, more ethnic than I thought, sorta like DvN meets Bless.

Yeah. I was trying to talk about the formality... sorta missed the mark, I guess.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you liked Helmut Lang you would have liked Jean Colonna
If you like Dior Homme you'll like Nicolas Andreas Taralis
If you like ME/Oligarch style and find Kiton too cheap and LV too sedate you'll like Zilli

not fair, everything has passed. its like telling us that we missed out on good stuffs
laugh.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
If you like Non-native, you'll probably like Fullcount.

Where did you learn about some of the Japanese stuff you've posted, I haven't even been exposed to most of the names. Is it from non-no and all that stuff? Maybe I should look at the text as there are like 2-3 brands I like.

BTW anyone knows who styled the movie don't laugh at my romance., it is Margiela-ish coupled with that Japanese obsession with white knits/skirts and beanies.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tween_spirit
For all the guys that like Ervell suiting, another brand with mid-market cute little skinny suits that are easy to find is Bespoken.
For those interested, Bespoken's stuff pops up on gilt quite often

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did you learn about some of the Japanese stuff you've posted, I haven't even been exposed to most of the names. Is it from non-no and all that stuff? Maybe I should look at the text as there are like 2-3 brands I like.

BTW anyone knows who styled the movie don't laugh at my romance., it is Margiela-ish coupled with that Japanese obsession with white knits/skirts and beanies.

Tradeshows, showrooms, traveling essentially to windowshop, and making meticulous mental notes the entire time. have a very good memory for collections, brands, etc... It's important and useful for retailers, other designers, and in marketing and advertising. If you know people who need this type of information, contact info, marketing info, etc... I am available for consultations.

If you want to learn about this stuff from print, I would suggest that you get copies of GAP Press Men, which is a Japanese publication that does synopsis of runway shows and installations - 2 editions per season - 1 for Milan/Paris, the other for NYC/Tokyo, which I think is a pretty good delineation. Paris and Milan are more concerned with designer and high fashion and Tokyo and NYC have a more streetwear/casualwear bent. I look at Men's Non-no occasionally, and I'll pick up a copy when I am in Seattle or in San Francisco, but I find that these magazines cater to very specific audiences.

Some stores carry the stuff. Blue in Green carries some Fullcount, some Somet basics, etc... A few stores used to carry Dope & Drakkar.

If you like Woolrich Woolen Mills and Gilded Age, but wear it in a more urbane way, you may like Dope&Drakkar.

If you muted, washed fabrics and like the styling at LN-CC, you may like Kiminori Morishita and HALB - I think that Morishita is still the creative director there.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Tradeshows, showrooms, traveling essentially to windowshop, and making meticulous mental notes the entire time. have a very good memory for collections, brands, etc... It's important and useful for retailers, other designers, and in marketing and advertising. If you know people who need this type of information, contact info, marketing info, etc... I am available for consultations.

If you want to learn about this stuff from print, I would suggest that you get copies of GAP Press Men, which is a Japanese publication that does synopsis of runway shows and installations - 2 editions per season - 1 for Milan/Paris, the other for NYC/Tokyo, which I think is a pretty good delineation. Paris and Milan are more concerned with designer and high fashion and Tokyo and NYC have a more streetwear/casualwear bent. I look at Men's Non-no occasionally, and I'll pick up a copy when I am in Seattle or in San Francisco, but I find that these magazines cater to very specific audiences.

Some stores carry the stuff. Blue in Green carries some Fullcount, some Somet basics, etc... A few stores used to carry Dope & Drakkar.

If you like Woolrich Woolen Mills and Gilded Age, but wear it in a more urbane way, you may like Dope&Drakkar.

If you muted, washed fabrics and like the styling at LN-CC, you may like Kiminori Morishita and HALB - I think that Morishita is still the creative director there.

Haha, I get stuff like Gap Men Press, I especially mentioned the Japanese brands because I usually have seen brands in print or person but some of the ones you named don't ring ANY bell.

I know some of the dudes representing one or a couple of the *** brands in Europe too...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, I get stuff like Gap Men Press, I especially mentioned the Japanese brands because I usually have seen brands in print or person but some of the ones you named don't ring ANY bell.

I know some of the dudes representing one or a couple of the *** brands in Europe too...

Which brands haven't you heard about? Maybe I spelled them wrong
sarcasm.gif

Well, you've probably been to Pitti Uomo and Bread&Butter, right? I mean, it's like a designer version of Capsule on the scale of Project. There are literally thousands of brands. I have spent entire days walking through these. And then there are the endless runways shows (never want to go to one, ever again) and installations (a merciful innovation, since you can go, walk through it faster than you can a tourist visiting Church number 38 in Florence, and be on your way.) It's inevitable that stuff doesn't show up on your radar. Unless you need to, you probably don't have linelists for the past decade archived.

Statistically, no 2 stores should have more than say, a 20% overlap in brands, and yet, every "goth ninja store" carries Rick Owens and Julius (even though both were virtually unknown in 2000), every mid-market store carries Wings+Horns (even though I met about 95% blank looks when I mention the brand to retailers as late as 2006) and Margiela suddenly became the unknown brand everyone knew about in 2002. I've said this before, it's because showrooms like The News, PR firms like Totem, and representatives like Rob Lo (Wings+Horns) do their job extraordinarily well, perhaps too well, while some dumbo can't get a single sale sitting at his little table at Pool.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sutor Mantellassi (get 'em while they last, because the company is now defunct).

Really? I didn't know that. What's the scoop?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads