• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friends wedding - no ties allowed

tightslot

Reaction score
Hi all, help!!!! I have an invite to my friends wedding and they have stipulated that men are not to wear ties. Now, I do not want to wear a normal business suit so I plan to go and get a new one. The question is, grey or black suit...what colour shoes if it is a light grey suit and what style / colour of shirt should I go for.

I am thinking....a light grey suit, brown belt, brown shoes and unsure of the shirt, possibly a crisp white one, but what collar type?

Any advice is welcome, please feel free to share your ideas as I do not want to look an arse!

Thanks
tightslot

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wear a navy, grey or tan suit. White shirt and white pocket square. Brown belt and shoes. You will look sharp.

nelly

Reaction score
Are they going to tell you when to go to the bathroom too? Wear a tie and tell them buzz off.

nelly

Reaction score
BTW, I really hope your username is Tights-lot and not Tight-slot.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Wear a navy, grey or tan suit. White shirt and white pocket square. Brown belt and shoes. You will look sharp.

x2

Originally Posted by nelly
Are they going to tell you when to go to the bathroom too? Wear a tie and tell them buzz off.

It's their wedding. Even if it's ridiculous to ask that no one wears a tie, who cares?

nelly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_

It's their wedding. Even if it's ridiculous to ask that no one wears a tie, who cares?

I was kidding.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
get new friends.

Or, just make sure to wear a nice suit with a PS. IMHO, a PS is very necessary when you dont wear a tie.

nelly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
Ah, I missed the sarcasm.
Stupid impersonal internet. I might also recommend wearing a 3-piece suit. Two style icons:
Tom%20Ford%20in%20three-piece%20suit.jpg
London+Fashion+Week+2007+Fashion+Fringe+Runway+5HAWgYlO2Ebl.jpg
http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/...8606.jpg?w=498

tightslot

Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for the quick response...

The username is TightSlot... nothing perverse I am afraid, it relates to an aviation term! So..any particular pocket square - I have never purchased one, so I assume I just buy a white one and fold it or are they pre folded?

Might, I sound dense! sorry guys! But glad the grey suit, brown thing is sounding good!

Cheers

nelly

Reaction score
Tight Slot in the perverse way would have been awesome.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tightslot

The username is TightSlot... nothing perverse I am afraid, it relates to an aviation term! So..any particular pocket square - I have never purchased one, so I assume I just buy a white one and fold it or are they pre folded?

Might, I sound dense! sorry guys! But glad the grey suit, brown thing is sounding good!

Cheers

you cant go wrong with a white linen PS....no matter what Foo says.
spam[1].gif
If you can find a white linen with a navy border, even better. I really like those.

I used to date a girl that I called Tight Slot. But after we were together for a bit I had to stop calling her that. hehehehe

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tightslot

Cheers

White linen PS, do not buy pre folded.

Kent Wang and and Sam Hober make them for a reasonable price.

tightslot

Reaction score
Fab thanks guys I have seen cheap pocket squares for £5.00 so a bargain! I shall aim for dark brown shoes too....Need to get ****** in the gym to loose some pounds or it will all be a useless task! Tightslot...well if it makes us all happy we could say it is perverse
wink.gif
Cheers guys

ktrp

Reaction score
You'll look good, but be overdressed relative to everyone else. 'No ties' is there way of saying 'nice casual'. I suspect a sportsjacket would be more in line with what others wear. I might wear the suit anyway, but thought it should be noted.

Are white linen PS as commonly worn in the U.K. as in north america? Could someone from there comment?

If you have the money, and are english, you should get the greatest PS of all time :

http://www.marianorubinacci.net/esho...?id=543&lang=2

Comes in a variety of border colours.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads