• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paleo diet

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
What do you believe is causing overconsumption in the first place?
To be clear, you think bread and sugar are CAUSING people to overeat?

Not that your mindless pontificating isn't diverting, but don't you feel embarrassed?

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
That's absolutely preposterous for reasons that have been pointed out. How many people do you know with scurvy?
My point is not that people today have high rates of scurvy--I never made any such statement--but that the causes of these vitamin-deficiency related diseases are not from of a lack of the nutrients in fruits and vegetables, as is commonly thought. That is all I am saying.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Food is easier then ever to produce. This has lead to an abundance of cheap food and large portions.
So, essentially what you're saying is that we are over eating because the food is just simply there to be over eaten?
Originally Posted by holymadness
To be clear, you think bread and sugar are CAUSING people to overeat? Not that your mindless pontificating isn't diverting, but don't you feel embarrassed?
Yes, that is what I think, for reasons that I have gone into in previous discussions. Someone who is overweight or obese and "over eats" is actually suffering from an internal starvation. The nutrients their bodies and cells need to function properly are being hoarded into their fat tissue, therefore, they over consume to compensate. Chronically high levels of insulin is causing this to occur, and the carbohydrates are what cause the high levels of insulin. Why should I feel embarrassed?

jawzzy

Reaction score
I just ate a whole bag of beef jerky while reading this threak. Just thought I'd toss that in. I think I feel my brow growing more prominent as I type.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This discussion would be considered ******* marsupialed anywhere but in America.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
This discussion would be considered ******* marsupialed anywhere but in America.

Globalization: It's only a matter of time.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that misdiagnosis, or under-diagnosis, has a lot to do with it.

i think the most recent estimate for celiac disease was 1 in 133. even if it was misdiagnosed or under diagnosed since the vast majority of the population consumes copious amounts of grains wouldnt you think that more people would be diagnosed with it than 1/133 of the population?

so doctors misdiagnose or under diagnose the vast majority of celiac disease?

that's a pretty big claim.

I'm talking about the competition of cellular-uptake between the vitamin-C molecule and glucose. Both are similar in configuration, and since glucose is greatly favored in the contest, the uptake of vitamin C by cells is inhibited when blood-sugar levels are elevated. In effect, glucose regulates how much vitamin C is taken up by the cells. If we increase blood-sugar levels, the cellular uptake of vitamin C will drop accordingly. Glucose will also impair the reabsorption of vitamin C by the kidney, and so, the higher the blood sugar, the more vitamin C will be lost in the urine.

So, determining the level of vitamin C in our cells and tissues really has little to do with how much we are consuming in our diet, but more about the effect the starches and sugars we consume have in flushing it out of our system, while simultaneously inhibiting the use of what vitamin C we do have. It's not the absence of fruits and vegetables that causes the scurvy, but the presence of the refined carbohydrates.
but by how much?

how much glucose will inhibit how much vitamin C?

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My point is not that people today have high rates of scurvy--I never made any such statement--but that the causes of these vitamin-deficiency related diseases are not from of a lack of the nutrients in fruits and vegetables, as is commonly thought. That is all I am saying.

well no offense but that's ridiculous and as far as I can tell you just pulled this out of your ass. If this were true, scurvy should be more prevalent than ever.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Oh hai gui, what are those Vit C rich fruits largely made up of? Oh yeah, fructose and glucose, which btw fructose has been implicated in metabolic syndrome too.

facepalm.gif

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Food is easier then ever to produce. This has lead to an abundance of cheap food and large portions.

Of course, I am sure you will have some kind of argument linking it to carbs, sugar and insulin levels that you read out of a diet book or on a blog. We need our demons after all.

Carbohydrates brought sin into the world, polluted the sky, and broke up the Beatles. Also, if you look closely at photos of the Kennedy assassination, you can clearly see a loaf of corn bread behind the grassy knoll.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
i think the most recent estimate for celiac disease was 1 in 133. even if it was misdiagnosed or under diagnosed since the vast majority of the population consumes copious amounts of grains wouldnt you think that more people would be diagnosed with it than 1/133 of the population? so doctors misdiagnose or under diagnose the vast majority of celiac disease? that's a pretty big claim.
I'm not claiming anything, it's just my assumption. We are, however, seeing a pretty rapid increase in the rate of gluten intolerance diagnosed in children, so it seems doctors may start running more of the necessary tests to look for these diet related allergies.
but by how much? how much glucose will inhibit how much vitamin C?
It's a good question, and one that will need more research to be able to answer precisely. Looking at diabetics, though, we see that the circulating rates of vitamin C levels in those with diabetes is *30% lower than those without diabetes. *http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8918139

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
Carbohydrates brought sin into the world, polluted the sky, and broke up the Beatles. Also, if you look closely at photos of the Kennedy assassination, you can clearly see a loaf of corn bread behind the grassy knoll.

This made me lol.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It's a good question, and one that will need more research to be able to answer precisely. Looking at diabetics, though, we see that the circulating rates of vitamin C levels in those with diabetes is *30% lower than those without diabetes.

*http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8918139

This study asks the question, "Do people with DM need more intake of ascorbic acid than those without." It indicates the literature shows DM sufferers have lower blood levels of ascorbic. Have you thought that maybe their disease pathology causes the body to utilize more Vit C? Further, how does this in any way let one conclude that dietary levels of carbs in healthy people prevents uptake of Vit C? If anything, this study indicates to me that the pathologic condition of DM requires the body to use more Vit C not that it cannot absorb it.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Have you thought that maybe their disease pathology causes the body to utilize more Vit C? Further, how does this in any way let one conclude that dietary levels of carbs in healthy people prevents uptake of Vit C?
Their disease pathology is precisely what causes their bodies to need more vitamin C for the reasons I described. The implication is that because people with diabetes have high levels of blood sugar that the cause of things like scurvy and other vitamin deficiency related diseases is also from an excess of glucose in the bloodstream.
If anything, this study indicates to me that the pathologic condition of DM requires the body to use more Vit C not that it cannot absorb it.
It requires the body to need more vitamin C because not enough is being utilized and properly absorbed by the body.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Their disease pathology is precisely what causes their bodies to need more vitamin C for the reasons I described. The implication is that because people with diabetes have high levels of blood sugar that the cause of things like scurvy and other vitamin deficiency related diseases is also from an excess of glucose in the bloodstream.

It requires the body to need more vitamin C because not enough is being utilized and properly absorbed by the body.

While I highly respect your obvious advanced education and thought process in this could you just maybe provide a link that actually says this?

Can you maybe check into the whole kidney absorption thing for me too? Because I once heard that their just might be a link between DM and kidney disease which, you know, might inhibit absorbtion of ascorbic acid. Basically, you're taking a sequella and telling me the cause is the premorbid condition. You're making no logical sense.

Actually, I think I need to back out before I just come out and tell you I think you're full of ****. You haven't addressed the fact that most of the best Vit C. sources are also loaded with fructose and glucose, for instance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads