• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
embowafa, you excited for your race this weekend?

YES!! I put in one last 2 hr session last night and am going to go for a lighter run tonight...then rest up tomorrow before the big day.

I'm honestly just looking forward to getting it over with. I'm at my wit's end with all this cardio.
butbut.gif

Can't wait to lift weights again.

(BTW, I've been running sockless the past week...gonna take your advice on that one...nike frees w/out socks are still awesome.)

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Splitting up legs and shoulder day allows me to add a whole bunch of assitance i've been wanting to do, incl. front squats. Man holding that bar on your shoulder is awkward as ****.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a couple different ways to hold the bar- I do it cross-armed, which is pretty comfortable to me.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how much weight do you push on front squats vs back?

i tried doing front squats and it felt so uncomfortable with even half the weight

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now I do 225 for 4-6 reps at 3 sets. My back squats are around 350 in the 4-6 range at 3 sets.

Definitely takes some getting use to- finding a comfortable hold is part of that.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still getting the hang of it. I'm back-squatting 5/3/1 off my 1RM of 260 (so like 190-240 for low reps). Today i front squatted 95x10, 105x10, 115x8 (could feel myself failing, but couldn't pinpoint where). I'm doing them snatch-grip, just in case i want to transition into OLY lifting.

EDIT: Lats totally sore. Can't tell if it's from something random today or from punishing my back yesterday by doing 3 sets of pulldowns after 3 sets of chin/pull ups.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The clean grip is really the best way to rack the bar for front squats. It might feel awkward at first, especially if you have inflexible wrists but it's better on your shoulders. If you do any form of cleans or power cleans, its even better to rack with the clean grip (obviously).

As to the weight I push I have no idea about my 1RM, did a set of 4 w/ 220 yesterday.

Also, one of the best cues for the front squat is to hold your chest high and try to lead with your chest when coming out of the hole. That helps in keeping your back close to vertical, which then helps with keeping the bar over the middle of the foot.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have piano hands, I feel like front squats = broken wrists for me.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
YES!! I put in one last 2 hr session last night and am going to go for a lighter run tonight...then rest up tomorrow before the big day.

I'm honestly just looking forward to getting it over with. I'm at my wit's end with all this cardio.
butbut.gif

Can't wait to lift weights again.

(BTW, I've been running sockless the past week...gonna take your advice on that one...nike frees w/out socks are still awesome.)

At least you're taking it seriously. Haha. You know you'll love it.

And a week without socks in Frees should be a perfect amount of prep for the race.

I hear you on missing lifting... I've just recently started doing heavy cardio again and I have missed the hell out of it.

Kick some ass and don't die!

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
how much weight do you push on front squats vs back?

i tried doing front squats and it felt so uncomfortable with even half the weight

I deep squat about 315 right now.

On the front, 225.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think i'm going to try it with clean grip tomorrow. much more comfortable with that crossing arms

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clean grip gets more comfortable with time, your wrists get more flexible, takes a couple weeks and you don't even notice it anymore. My front squat is slightly higher then my back squat because I front squat 3 times a week, but haven't done a back squat in months.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shibbel
There's a couple different ways to hold the bar- I do it cross-armed, which is pretty comfortable to me.

IMO, I would start learning and using actual clean rack position. If you ever need to drop the weight, cross arming it could make this dangerous, not to mention rack position translates a lot better if you ever plan to do some olympic style lifting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads