• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lxlfeng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcellionheart
The nomad ones are not Shell Cordovan. I've handled them in person and, moreover, asked the owner who ordered them in the first place. He said "Toronto was not ready for shell cordovan" which sadly I had to agree with.

Why not?

WatchGuy

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the difference between the Leather Soul snuff suede PTBs vs the J Crew suede bucks? Specifically, is the color of each of these accurate in the pictures? And, what are the differences in color?

Can anyone comment on the individual shoes themselves?

Thanks in advance.

usu3.jpg

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WatchGuy
Can anyone comment on the difference between the Leather Soul snuff suede PTBs vs the J Crew suede bucks? Specifically, is the color of each of these accurate in the pictures? And, what are the differences in color?

Thanks in advance.

usu3.jpg

I own the J Crews. I think they are tan whereas leather soul is snuff. See below for a comparison of the colors

http://blog.leffot.com/2010/03/19/alden-suede-chukkas/

Other than that, I believe they are the same shoe. The J Crews I owns are great. Unlined and on the flex welt, they are great with or without socks.

astris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WatchGuy

Thanks in advance.

usu3.jpg

The LS ptb's are snuff, the j.crews aren't (not sure what color Alden considers them). The j.crew have external lace hole hardware, LS have it on the inside.

natesjuice

Reaction score
may i ask ... what is the difference between a lined shoe and an unlined shoe? thanks

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by natesjuice
may i ask ... what is the difference between a lined shoe and an unlined shoe? thanks

One has leather lining on the interior of the shoe and one doesn't. Unlined shoes will crease more, probably stretch more, and will be more comfortable.

trunks206

Reaction score
Man with all this talk of suede PTBs, I just cant wait until my tan unlined pair get in to Blackbird. I wish I could have snagged up both pair of recent LS offerings...the blue suede ones are amazing.

However I did notice that the recent Jcrew catalog suggested to size down "one whole size" for their pair of unlined PTBs. Do those that own any other pair of suede unlined Aldens go with this suggestion or is this just a typo? I went with the same size I wear on my other barrie lasted shoes since they fit on the snug side and I already size down a whole size due to my semi narrow feet, but seeing that has got me a little worried.

ClassyCanuck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by s3lam
ok here are the other Aldens that Nomad currently has.

Can any of you Alden experts tell me(from looking at the pic alone) if the first pair of Black Alden's are made from cordovan leather.
IMG02407-20110525-1211.jpg

IMG02403-20110525-1211.jpg

IMG02404-20110525-1211.jpg

IMG02405-20110525-1211.jpg

May I ask which location you found these at, Richmond or Queen?
Thanks.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trunks206
Man with all this talk of suede PTBs, I just cant wait until my tan unlined pair get in to Blackbird. I wish I could have snagged up both pair of recent LS offerings...the blue suede ones are amazing.

However I did notice that the recent Jcrew catalog suggested to size down "one whole size" for their pair of unlined PTBs. Do those that own any other pair of suede unlined Aldens go with this suggestion or is this just a typo? I went with the same size I wear on my other barrie lasted shoes since they fit on the snug side and I already size down a whole size due to my semi narrow feet, but seeing that has got me a little worried.

I wear my normal Barrie size (10D). The shoe does not fit long even when worn sockless.

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trunks206

For the Leather Soul suede PTB shoes, I went a full size down. I measure 10.5D, my barrie size is 10D, and these were 9.5D. They fit great, snug but not tight.

vespajg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by s3lam
Will there be a place on the shoe that says whether or not that they are cordovan or not...Is there a stamp or some kinda marking on the inside of shoe with this info?

I paid 545 minus 15% off for my pair....but tax is 13% here..so basically paid just under $545 when it was all said and done =)

My 990s have a horween cordovan brand on the sole...

s3lam

Reaction score
@ClassyCanuck - they have aldens at both locations. @Marcellionheart - you are right. I just went by today to take a closer look and spoke with one of the sales associates and confirmed they are NOT Shell Cordovan. I took some closer pics as well. They look really shiny to me but slightly grainy up close. Somebody said here on this thread that cordovan could look kinda like patent leather and the ones at nomad def did not look like that. I still haven't seen cordovan leather in real life yet. Guess I will still have to wait. Anyhow here are the pics for those of you that are interested.
IMG_20110526_130603.jpg
IMG_20110526_130556.jpg
IMG_20110526_130445.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads