• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obama's Visit to the UK - fit critique!

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Anthony Jordan
Evening tailcoat. Possibly Brooks Borthers off the peg? Nice that he made the effort, although I think the lapels on the tailcoat look a little skinny, and a shame that he chose to wear a turndown collar.

I realized it was probably an evening event after I posted
facepalm.gif

I agree though, impressive that we didn't just do a regular tux.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SammyJ
Not sure about the buttoning on Will's suit-a little too uptight if you ask me.
I like it, but probably because it fits -him-, and the occasion: in the role he likes to play, flight lieutenant in the Royal Air Force, he should be a little uptight meeting a sitting president of the U.S. On the other hand, now the lower buttoning point of the politicians' suit jackets are starting to bother me. It is as if they want to appear a bit casual, a bit louche, except that every other feature of the suit jacket telegraphs sober formality. I -love- the formal outfits, except for Prince Philip. The medals and sashes, or even flag lapel pins, do nothing for me. Obama's is great.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has Obama officially switched from Hart Schaffner Marx to Georges de Paris bespoke? His jackets seem to fit better now

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
This thread is lame in the AAAC manner, but not the Fedora Lounge or FilmNoirBuff manner.

So, congratulations all around.

- B

I like to think that I contributed to that in some small way, so thank you.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Anthony Jordan
Evening tailcoat. Possibly Brooks Brothers off the peg? Nice that he made the effort, although I think the lapels on the tailcoat look a little skinny, and a shame that he chose to wear a turndown collar.
It is not about making an effort. If you are invited to a state banquet at Buckingham Palace and the invitation says "White tie" that is the only option. I believe there is a picture of Bush hosting an event for the Queen at the White House and they are also in White tie outfits. These are not occasion for tuxedo

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
article-1390291-0C3DADCD00000578-710_964x639.jpg
Can anyone identify the make of both mens shoes? Prince Willie's shoes are far nicer than Obama's.

JDMills

Reaction score
I heard that Johnston and Murphy gives shoes to every president (don't remember where I read that) but Williams are obviously a British brand, Lobb bespoke maybe (St. James not Paris).

And Kate is Hawwwt

Jangofett

Reaction score
Why does Barrack crosses his hands before him like some pansy? Almost subservient.

He should do the freemason pose, with one hand in his pocket and the other on his waistcoat.
This would show the Queen who is the alpha dog here.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Millerp
BHO.jpg

How badly fitting is Obama's suit? Jeesh where do you start? Did he hire it? A W cast off in the wardrobe?

EricBall

Reaction score
Yes President Obama was very badly advised here : a turndown collar instead of a wing collar ( pretty sure he would wear a wing collar with a tuxedo though!), a waistcoat that is not fitted and is much too loose ( so is the tailcoat) , and finally the American flag pin on the lapel...
It looks like he got it from Moss Bros !

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
I'm glad Barack O. made the effort to wear a dress suit, even if it doesn't fit and is with turndown collar. I quite like the cut of Michelle O's evening gown. It's much better than that of the dress in the first thread pics: the flared skirt seemed quite out of place, though the colors and patterns worked. In the case of this evening gown, I'm not sure that the solid white works with the white opera gloves. Maybe a purple gown in that cut would've suited better, and with cream gloves. Very nice to see 3/4 length evening gloves worn tastefully, though. Their tasteful wear seems even less common than the wearing of dress suits nowadays.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, this is better fitting than most of the stuff he usually wears, so I'm thankful for that. The pants are universally dreadful, but the jackets aren't too bad aside from the too-long sleeves. The problem is that any president can't dress too well without being taken for a dandy, something that would be political suicide. See how Clinton's dress changed when he got serious about running for a good example.

Fairly certain there's a whole chapter on this in Manton's book--effectively, a president (or other high-ranking elected official) has to dress somewhat sloppily lest he offend his constituents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads