• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoulder expression

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To further clarify (I hope), all three of these garments have the EXACT SAME shoulder pad. I hope it is becoming clearer how much (or how little) the pad has to do with the expression of the shoulder.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 ya this is very helpful & informative. I actually just got a vintage Jaeger suit from a relative and I'm having it fitted by a tailor here in HK. The shoulders are not totally my preference so this helps a bunch...thx!

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great post, very informative.

Originally Posted by jefferyd
...... It seems I hear on a weekly (daily?) basis about someone wanting to take padding out, or someone commenting in WAYWN "too much padding" when it may not be the case at all.

to reiterate, too many SF'er assume that too much "padding" lead to the ROPED shoulder, so therefore, by removing the padding, the shoulder will be "natural". And because the natural shoulder is the current Styleforum choice, everybody wants a natural/sleeve-shoulder/water-fall shoulder.

So then what is the purpose of having shoulder padding in the first place? What body-type would benefit from having padding?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this! I was just admiring the rope shoulder on my Zegna SC and didn't know what to call it
laugh.gif

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106

So then what is the purpose of having shoulder padding in the first place? What body-type would benefit from having padding?

Someone with sloped, hunched, or rounded shoulders would benefit. Also someone with very pronounced shoulder blades, or larger hips.

I personally think that the majority of people could benefit with a bit of pad rather than the opposite.
Take ODOT, for example- he has a well-balanced figure but his natural-shouldered suits make him look very bottom-heavy and pear-shaped.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope it is becoming clearer how much (or how little) the pad has to do with the expression of the shoulder.

I think it was about time you busted this myth.

And because the natural shoulder is the current Styleforum choice, everybody wants a natural/sleeve-shoulder/water-fall shoulder.

Truth.

Someone with sloped, hunched, or rounded shoulders would benefit. Also someone with very pronounced shoulder blades, or larger hips.

I personally think that the majority of people could benefit with a bit of pad rather than the opposite.

Does anyone else think that if PG got his head out of his ass and actually really looked at the fit pics he pastes across 3 threads and his own brog, he'd realize that just maybe, he could use some padding? Or is it all a matter of personal preference at the end of the day?

Xenon

Reaction score

I personally think that the majority of people could benefit with a bit of pad rather than the opposite.Take ODOT, for example- he has a well-balanced figure but his natural-shouldered suits make him look very bottom-heavy and pear-shaped.

Thank you very much jefferyd for the illustrations and definitions. We need more of this on SF.

Also you are very polite. IMHO I would replace "bit" with "fair to alot". Also in terms of expression I have rarely seen someone with non-roped that would not look better with roped except for the most casual of casual................................ .........................pyjamas
laugh.gif

inlandisland

Reaction score
This thread is much appreciated.

Xenon

Reaction score
Also, I'm not sure why but the bald shoulder always reminds me of apes
nest.gif
laugh.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The term bald shoulder is ironic to me because my father went bald and all of the hair that fell out replanted on his shoulders.

Kslim

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to write up this very informative post. I've learned a lot! I'm a fan of the roped and natural shoulders.
biggrin.gif

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome post, very informative. Wish there were more like this! Many thanks.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I think it was about time you busted this myth.

Truth.

Does anyone else think that if PG got his head out of his ass and actually really looked at the fit pics he pastes across 3 threads and his own brog, he'd realize that just maybe, he could use some padding? Or is it all a matter of personal preference at the end of the day?

+100 to this

gj555

Reaction score

Take ODOT, for example- he has a well-balanced figure but his natural-shouldered suits make him look very bottom-heavy and pear-shaped.

When I recently posted a photo of my suit, I got the too much padding comment.

I have sloped and hunched shoulders and my left shoulder is smaller than my right one. For me, I absolutely need padding and would look silly without it. The problem with photos is that people are quick to assume that a suit has too much padding without knowing the person's shape or whether the person even wanted that style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads