• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

After how many dates should you let a girl pay for (half or all of) a date?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is a very good question. I have been dating my girlfriend for two years and I still get bad feelings when I let her pay for things. It is very touchy because you don't want them to get too used to you paying for things all the time because then they will just assume it is going to be done.

Personally I feel that if you have gone on a bunch of dates and it is definitely moving somewhere I would let it happen. Maybe date 5 or so?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
It is a very good question. I have been dating my girlfriend for two years and I still get bad feelings when I let her pay for things. It is very touchy because you don't want them to get too used to you paying for things all the time because then they will just assume it is going to be done.

Personally I feel that if you have gone on a bunch of dates and it is definitely moving somewhere I would let it happen. Maybe date 5 or so?

Bad feelings?? WTF!! My ex's would TELL ME, I'm taking you out for dionner or let's get some drinks.....$$ between people in a relationship should not be an issue(for the most part-unless she is unemployed!) We would make joke bets on stupid things to see who would pay for dinner!

But as for the OP's question, if she insists or asks, don't make a huge issue of it! Joke with her and tell her, "you're on." And just thank her after! Something like that can be the start of a relationship where she starts to plan things for the both of you to do....ex.."hey , i got tkts to xyz on sat night, don't make plans!" And she won't expect you to pay for your tkt because she knows that it will come back around!

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First date and every date thereafter is half and half unless one of us offers to cover the other. Though lately I havent paid at all

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
who goes on dates? and who is ashamed to let a girl pay for you? Is this the 1950's?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
who goes on dates? and who is ashamed to let a girl pay for you? Is this the 1950's?

+ fukkin 1!

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I emphasize with Patrick. I'm uncomfortable letting a girl pay even after knowing her for a long time. Unless she strongly insists on footing the bill, I'm paying.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
I emphasize with Patrick. I'm uncomfortable letting a girl pay even after knowing her for a long time. Unless she strongly insists on footing the bill, I'm paying.
Does she hit you Neo?
frown.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
I usually pay for dinner the first time out, then next time she pays, and rotate around. IMO the only issue is when it becomes a concern, or something you think about. I've never thought twice about it.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With my current GF i picked up the first tab, we've split everyone since. She even picked up the bar tab at the second place we went to on the first date.

My previous GF was always annoyed about having to pay for anything, one of the reasons it didn't work out. In a country where equality is a high priority I can't see a reason why I still should to pay for everything.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No money is exchanged when I slide the watery gruel inside of her dog cage.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
uhoh.gif
I think the only time I've ever let a girl pay half was on a first date. I usually pay every time after that. I know my brother and his girlfriend rotate on who pays though. I think it's an individual thing, especially for the two people involved in the relationship. I'm totally fine with paying for everything; I guess I'm old-fashioned that way.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never let a girl pay. I don't think my ego would allow it. I'm pretty sure one girl dumped me for exactly this reason.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I use the Chris Rock method. If she is not planning on letting me stick my tenderloin into her Tiramisu, she can pick from the Appetizers/Starters side of the menu (and I'll pay). If by the end of the night her red velvet cake will be slathered in my roast beef's au jus sauce, then she can pick from the Entrees side of the menu (and I'll pay).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads