• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hymo
The leather used by Filson is corrected grain...
eh.gif

No

359lu15.jpg

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm doing some laptop bag research before buying a 257... since nothing clearly stacks up, especially for the price, but I did find another nice option. Just putting it out there: http://shopmulholland.com/product.htm?Product=CA144-TNB
CA144-TNB.jpg
Vintage Waxed Canvas Negotiator Not your father’s briefcase. A functional bag with enough interior padding to cradle a laptop. Two zip exterior pockets. Two evenly divided interior compartments: one for a laptop, the other for everything else. Even a cell phone/PDA pocket. Detachable shoulder strap and leather carrying handles. Dimensions: 12 x 16 x 5 $345.00

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ClassyCanuck

patrick_b, great pics of the bag. Can't wait til my 256 develops a great patina like that.
Do you know how old it is?

Not sure. These pics were taken before treating the leather and cleaning it up. I should snap some new ones. The leather looks terrific now.

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson 232 is on sale for half off at Mr. Porter if you are a founding member or *know* one. Thats $122 shipped for the bag, only 5 bags left as of availability.

fromega

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
What did you pay for shipping, customs etc? There is a Canadian rep here in Calgary for Filson as well.

Who stocks Filson in Calgary? I'm looking to pick up the rucksack when I pass through the city.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fromega
Who stocks Filson in Calgary? I'm looking to pick up the rucksack when I pass through the city.

Apparently two stores do now. I bought mine at Hanson's Outfitters. It is right downtown off of stephen avenue mall (8th ave and 1st st sw - 813 1st st). I would call ahead to make sure they stock it. They don't have everything.

According to google so does Wholesale Sports down in the southeast. I have never been there.

I bought a Filson 248 for $325 CDN which is the same price as Crane's.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been very impressed with Filson bags, not the Passage line but the regular made in US canvass stuff with bridle leather.

Just took delivery of the small wool field bag from Crane's. Excellent bag as usual from a top-notch seller.

fromega

Reaction score
Apparently two stores do now. I bought mine at Hanson's Outfitters. It is right downtown off of stephen avenue mall (8th ave and 1st st sw - 813 1st st). I would call ahead to make sure they stock it. They don't have everything.

According to google so does Wholesale Sports down in the southeast. I have never been there.

I bought a Filson 248 for $325 CDN which is the same price as Crane's.

Yeah, it's seems like Hanson's prices are reasonable. Thanks for the help!

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No trouble. It's a small one man shop, if you call ahead and he has what you want for the price you want, he would probably put it aside for you.

ffatt

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am seriously split between buying a 257 and 258. I love the look of 257, but the 258 may be more practical. I plan on carrying a 2" textbook, 2" folio and 1.5" laptop. Doing the math, 5.5" seems like it would fit the 6" width of 257. But, 257 has compartmentalizing dividers in between which probably decrease the width. Does it leave room for a small water bottle and a paper sandwich bag? Do not laugh...being on long rounds requires me to bring a lunch. Anyways, 258 has a 7" width, but is that 7" only of the main compartment or does it also include the extra zipper pocket on the front. I am thinking the main compartment of 257 maynot meet my needs, but maybe the 258 won't make much of a difference. Has anybody come across or taken actual measurements like this on both 257 and 258 (width without the extra pocket). I am not sure how the official dimensions match the pics posted below.

qwfsw.jpg

jesask

Reaction score
Apparently two stores do now. I bought mine at Hanson's Outfitters. It is right downtown off of stephen avenue mall (8th ave and 1st st sw - 813 1st st). I would call ahead to make sure they stock it. They don't have everything. According to google so does Wholesale Sports down in the southeast. I have never been there. I bought a Filson 248 for $325 CDN which is the same price as Crane's.
Hanson's is great...that's where I got mine. They are very helpful. I'm thinking of another bag too at this time (the 266) as a carry-on.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ffatt
Hi guys,

I am seriously split between buying a 257 and 258. I love the look of 257, but the 258 may be more practical. I plan on carrying a 2" textbook, 2" folio and 1.5" laptop. Doing the math, 5.5" seems like it would fit the 6" width of 257. But, 257 has compartmentalizing dividers in between which probably decrease the width. Does it leave room for a small water bottle and a paper sandwich bag? Do not laugh...being on long rounds requires me to bring a lunch. Anyways, 258 has a 7" width, but is that 7" only of the main compartment or does it also include the extra zipper pocket on the front. I am thinking the main compartment of 257 maynot meet my needs, but maybe the 258 won't make much of a difference. Has anybody come across or taken actual measurements like this on both 257 and 258 (width without the extra pocket). I am not sure how the official dimensions match the pics posted below.

If you're planning on carrying the above everyday, I'd suggest the 258; that sounds tight for the 257. The text/laptop/notes will fit in either, but the 257 won't allow you to carry the bottle/lunch very securely. I oftentimes wish my 257 had an external zippered pocket - in fact, almost enough to want to get the 258.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads