• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sun is out in New York... wearing the Leffot ravello tassels today with the suit... Already received two compliments. Awesome shoe. I think ravello really excels in the sun. I'm thinking I may do the PTBs tomorrow.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
assuming you wear a pair of double soled (leather, un topyed) once a week with moderate walking, how long will the soles last?

1.5 years-ish?

vespajg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
assuming you wear a pair of double soled (leather, un topyed) once a week with moderate walking, how long will the soles last? 1.5 years-ish?
That seems way too short of an interval unless you're terribly hard on your shoes, i.e., heavy, shuffle or drag your feet, etc. That's less than 75 wears before resoling! I've gotten much more mileage out of leather soled shoes - 3 years or more with more frequent wearing than once a week and I've had them resoled with no damage to midsole, welt, or upper. But I have had dovetail heal inserts replaced at sooner intervals. As with anything wear related (think car: brake shoes, clutch, belt, etc.), it depends how you use it and how take care of it. I've also had eyeglasses last upwards of 10 years, but my wife seems to destroy hers in 6 months....

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
assuming you wear a pair of double soled (leather, un topyed) once a week with moderate walking, how long will the soles last?

1.5 years-ish?

Depends on a lot of factors (weight, if you walk to work/subway vs driving, walking style, etc).

Well built double leather sole shoes (Alden) should last 1.5 to 2 years if you wear them once a week without resoling. If you wear them twice a week, then they could be due for a resoling in just over a year. I'm resoling my 1 1/4 Church's black Consuls now (I wore them twice a week for about a year when I was first getting into nicer shoes).

I personally don't alter any of my leather sole shoes. Scuffing up a pair of leather soles is a tradition.

trunks206

Reaction score
Damn Im really small time. People are talking about only wearing a specific pair one a week.

Need moar Aldens!!
laugh.gif

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trunks206
Damn Im really small time. People are talking about only wearing a specific pair one a week.

Need moar Aldens!!
laugh.gif

You spent good money on them, wear them in good health, pal.

I wish I can wear mines are often. I don't even wear them once a week. I wear a pair once a month if I'm lucky.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trunks206

Need moar Aldens!!
laugh.gif

well my rotation is now exactly 5 pairs (3 of which I paid a grand total of $400 for)

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear my cigar indy boots at least 2-3 times/week walking about 1 mile/day. The heels went in about 9 months. The soles are still going strong. Topies will be used on my next aldens. Just more practical for heavy usage.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
znasgn.jpg

29e4th5.jpg

dark brown horse bit loafers
argyles otc

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by s3lam
Purchased my first pair of Alden's today. Wow...these are amazing!! Picked these up at Nomad. Already contemplating on going back and getting a black pair.

Took them straight to Kaners (in Toronto) to get the soles protected.

IMGP28503.jpg

IMGP28513.jpg

IMGP28523.jpg

Those look great. What other Aldens did Nomad have? The ones you bought weren't listed on their website.

Originally Posted by wj4
Why would you get the sole protected? They look horrible.

If the sole wears out, just send them back to Alden to be resoled.

You can get them in a natural colour which would help them blend in with the rest of the sole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads