• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Topy vs rubber oversoles on leather -- in New England

LooknGr8

Reaction score
Have read a lot of the previous SF threads on this.

Am trying to decide what to do on 5 new pairs.

People seem to like Topy's better than old-skool rubber over leather soled shoes for reasons of both looks and overall durability, right?

My specific *new* question is, since I live in the northeast and it's impossible to avoid some rain/slush/snow precipitation (even though I'll be careful) should I just opt for the full rubber oversole (not including heel) instead of the partial Vibram overlay/Topy?

(no, it's not really practical for me to store 10 pairs of shoes at work like one previous poster said he does -- would love that but I have a fairly public cube and not a lock-and-key opportunity...we're encouraged to not store anything we don't want stolen, although that rarely happens if ever)

2nd question: Do the rubber oversoles eventually wear out and I'll have to re-oversole them in time? Previous posters say Vibram is pretty much permanent. What is your experience? What do you do?

Thanks!

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LooknGr8
should I just opt for the full rubber oversole (not including heel) instead of the partial Vibram overlay/Topy?

what is that?

LooknGr8

Reaction score
These but without the heel piece (previous posters say the heel will be fine and not soak through) as opposed to the partial that leaves the leather of the toe exposed...
IMG_0900-1.JPG

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These but without the heel piece (previous posters say the heel will be fine and not soak through)
hrrm that's what I call a topy

JDMills

Reaction score
Thats a topyd sole, if you stand in a puddle or any amount of snow water and wet can still get in, topy doesnt protect completely against that and the waist of the shoe (the leather bit not covered by the topy) will get wet as well. I've never heard of one that leaves the leather on the toe of the sole exposed. You should get some overshoes, Swims are SF approved and a little bit more expensive than standard overshoes but worth it in my books.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
The overshoes would certianly be cheaper, as I'd only need one pair!

I've talked to cobblers in three towns (I commute...far, ugh) and none of them do topys/vibram here and all do rubber. I wonder why? Have I just not shopped around enough, or are topys worse on ice or some reason specific to New England?

JDMills

Reaction score
I dont think you can add a vibram or rubber unless its resoled like that, any basic cobbler I know can glue on a Topy. But seriously the overshoes will be much cheaper and look better. I've been told if you wear the topy down itll get smooth and wont grip as well on ice but I dont have any topyd shoes so I couldn't say. A lot of people I know use topy because its cheaper than resoling a full leather sole, 30 bucks versus 70+, but all up to you. I know a few high end makers dont recommend them (Edward Green) because it stops the leather sole from breathing.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
It seems I might also have an issue with regional vocabulary here. Topy = Vibram = rubber, the more I google, and they appear to called different things in diff regions of the country. My cobblers aren't using Topy branded or Vibram branded oversoles...but they could all be similar things. They all call them rubber, and no one has shown me a vibram or topy logo'd oversole (the least expensive was called "Doble Vida"...)

Posters here, obviously call them by different names too but I am starting to think they are all referring to the same thing.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The overshoes would certianly be cheaper, as I'd only need one pair! I've talked to cobblers in three towns (I commute...far, ugh) and none of them do topys/vibram here and all do rubber. I wonder why? Have I just not shopped around enough, or are topys worse on ice or some reason specific to New England?
I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about. Topy is a rubber product, Vibram is a rubber product. they can each be put on top of leather soles like your picture shows. this costs around $40 at my guy in Newton. Sole Man in Newton uses Vibram branded rubber Vibram also makes lug soles that would replace your leather sole. a guy like B Nelson in NYC could do that for a good bit more, as this is a much more involved procedure is this the decision you are talking about? putting a piece of rubber on vs completely replacing the sole?

ThatGuy

Reaction score
These but without the heel piece (previous posters say the heel will be fine and not soak through) as opposed to the partial that leaves the leather of the toe exposed...
IMG_0900-1.JPG

OP, here's a pefect example of why you don't Topy. Here's a pic of why I buy leather soled shoes (second go, pic too small LOL):
2ykgdqg.jpg
Wear them in the rain. It's fine. Was raining yesterday for me and my leather soled shoes did not fall apart.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
Yes, and a bit more: Resoling vs. a smaller piece that leaves leather exposed up by the toe vs. something that covers toe most of the way back to the heel (like the pic). Looks like most either do it like the pic or Swims. Which is basically the answer I was looking for.

The partial overlay (smaller piece) I guess is more of an option for people living in warmer (less ice/snow) climes, although they will do it here if I insist.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a smaller piece that leaves leather exposed up by the toe
I have never seen this

Chris Waffles

Reaction score
Yes, and a bit more: Resoling vs. a smaller piece that leaves leather exposed up by the toe vs. something that covers toe most of the way back to the heel (like the pic). Looks like most either do it like the pic or Swims. Which is basically the answer I was looking for.

The partial overlay (smaller piece) I guess is more of an option for people living in warmer (less ice/snow) climes, although they will do it here if I insist.

I think pictures of each of your options would make it easier for everyone to give advice, as something seems to be getting lost in translation.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have read a lot of the previous SF threads on this.

Am trying to decide what to do on 5 new pairs.

People seem to like Topy's better than old-skool rubber over leather soled shoes for reasons of both looks and overall durability, right?

What is your experience? What do you do?

i buy leather soled and rubber soled shoes and rotate them due to the weather conditions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads