• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the worst job interview question!

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Bayes' Theorem. Change Doors
I haven't touched math in yrs but I'd assume what you said made sense IF they knew which door you'd choose and offered you the option to switch but not if they didn't know your choice as your door could have been opened, therefore proving you had the wrong choice. Once again I haven't looked at this **** recently and certainly didn't take the time to make any calculation or ponder the situation for very long. I'm assuming that: 1) they dunno which door you wanted to choose 2) they choose a door randomly, its not said if opening the door could have revealed the prize or not, just that it didn't I would switch if: 1) they knew what I wanted to choose 2) they stated that they opened a door without a prize willfully I made no statistical calculations at all so if some math geek wants to destroy me go ahead.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
aaaaahhhh bullets, my only weakness!

snake-jailbird.jpg

O'Higgins

Reaction score
Worst Question, and pretty sure it was illegal: "What church do you attend? "

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I haven't touched math in yrs but I'd assume what you said made sense IF they knew which door you'd choose and offered you the option to switch but not if they didn't know your choice as your door could have been opened, therefore proving you had the wrong choice. Once again I haven't looked at this **** recently and certainly didn't take the time to make any calculation or ponder the situation for very long.

I'm assuming that:
1) they dunno which door you wanted to choose
2) they choose a door randomly, its not said if opening the door could have revealed the prize or not, just that it didn't

I would switch if:
1) they knew what I wanted to choose
2) they stated that they opened a door without a prize willfully

I made no statistical calculations at all so if some math geek wants to destroy me go ahead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem
Try to compare the two scenarios I presented and get back to me. I can't read all that **** but a quick glance would make it appear as if the second one (that isn't how the problem is presented by patrickbooth) would follow the monty thing and you'd need to switch (something I fully awknowledged) but the first scenario (what is made clear by patrickBOOTH's description) wouldn't or at least can't find it with a quick glance. edit: ok here are two scenarios nearer to mine (see how smart I am, bow before my superior door opening intellect): "Monty Fall" or "Ignorant Monty": The host does not know what lies behind the doors, and opens one at random that happens not to reveal the car (Granberg and Brown, 1995:712) (Rosenthal, 2005a) (Rosenthal, 2005b). \tSwitching wins the car half of the time. The host knows what lies behind the doors, and (before the player's choice) chooses at random which goat to reveal. He offers the option to switch only when the player's choice happens to differ from his. \tSwitching wins the car half of the time. You and pennglock knew about this mathematical crap and I didn't but this is what caused your undoing (and not my pretty average math skills); you didn't take the time to think about the situation a little. Or maybe you totally did and expected me to read the whole thing and find out the scenarios closer to mine...I dunno.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I always say

"I'm indecisive. Well, maybe, I don't know."

Works like a charm.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XeF4
But I really do work to hard.

I also care too much.

Watch me care right now.

Did you see it?

The question is lame and so is the answer. I think I work too hard was maybe an over simplified example of what I was trying to convey. You should turn one of your weaknesses into one of your strengths (eg. "I spend alot of time making sure the code I write is structured and easy to read/edit" instead of, "I sometimes miss my deadlines")

I understand, I just think it's a pointless question because almost everyone's answer is going to be a lie.

There's always the option of coming off like a pompous ass and saying "I guess my weakness would be that I expect too much from others. You see, sir, I'm so used to working hard myself, I'm often let down by co-workers that do not exceed expectations".

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Q: "How would you go about testing the accuracy of a survey sample?"
A: "I'm an econometrician, not a statistician" (mind you this was the 5-6th question along these lines)

lol8[1].gif

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
The only correct answer to the weakness question is Kryptonite. Say it with a straight face and then "next stupid question".
I am very tempted to use this if the need should arise. If the interview is going bad and my mood allows it, I will use this.

Originally Posted by Pennglock
Is that legal!!

I once had a guy ask me where I got my briefcase, which I thought was a little ****..

He was probably a fellow SFer. Doesn't this place have a secret signal--or have I said too much?

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
For my current job I was actually asked this series of questions in my interview:

There are three doors in front of you, behind one door is a prize, what is the probability that you will choose the door with the prize behind it?

Then, if before you made your decision one of the doors you were not going to choose was opened revealing that there was no prize behind that door in order to increase the probability of selecting the door with the prize behind it would you stick with your original selection, or would you decide to change your mind and select the other unopened door, or does it not matter and why?

Think about it.

probability problems are the worse. Granted, the maths is not my strength. But I have asked some really nerdy math people who love calculus and trigonometry some probability questions that they even stumble on. I have always held statistics in the highest regard when it comes to the math field.

Originally Posted by StephenHero
I always say

"I'm indecisive. Well, maybe, I don't know."

Works like a charm.

I like this, if the interview is going well this probably a great way to buy yourself some time to reformulate your canned answer if you have one.

imschatz

Reaction score
Try to compare the two scenarios I presented and get back to me. I can't read all that **** but a quick glance would make it appear as if the second one (that isn't how the problem is presented by patrickbooth) would follow the monty thing and you'd need to switch (something I fully awknowledged) but the first scenario (what is made clear by patrickBOOTH's description) wouldn't or at least can't find it with a quick glance.

edit: ok here are two scenarios nearer to mine (see how smart I am, bow before my superior door opening intellect):

"Monty Fall" or "Ignorant Monty": The host does not know what lies behind the doors, and opens one at random that happens not to reveal the car (Granberg and Brown, 1995:712) (Rosenthal, 2005a) (Rosenthal, 2005b). \tSwitching wins the car half of the time.

The host knows what lies behind the doors, and (before the player's choice) chooses at random which goat to reveal. He offers the option to switch only when the player's choice happens to differ from his. \tSwitching wins the car half of the time.

You and pennglock knew about this mathematical crap and I didn't but this is what caused your undoing (and not my pretty average math skills); you didn't take the time to think about the situation a little. Or maybe you totally did and expected me to read the whole thing and find out the scenarios closer to mine...I dunno.

Nah .. just providing some background on the "problem". I've heard it 3-4 times before .. you seemed to be thinking about it, so just providing the info to facilitate the thinking
smile.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I know a guy who answered "my weakness is that tend to beat up people who disagree with me" he then proceeded to laugh. He got the job and it was one of those serious management thing. I'm not kidding.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Nah .. just providing some background on the "problem". I've heard it 3-4 times before .. you seemed to be thinking about it, so just providing the info to facilitate the thinking
smile.gif

Thinking is done, I'm more of a theoritical guy really, too lazy to get out a sheet of paper and actually do it and what's more, I hardly remember how. I can do the logic thing cause it's philo but the rest is so so.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale

I like this, if the interview is going well this probably a great way to buy yourself some time to reformulate your canned answer if you have one.

That is my canned answer. They give one of those closed-mouth grins and then move on to the important stuff like what color leather I want in my company car.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking is done, I'm more of a theoritical guy really, too lazy to get out a sheet of paper and actually do it and what's more, I hardly remember how. I can do the logic thing cause it's philo but the rest is so so.

Just curious, but what was your major and/or job? You seem astoundingly well read/travelled for a young guy.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Piobaire hook up with Manton and see if he allows you to author an addendum to his book, "Reasons to wear a suit: Section 1: Job Interview" You do have very elegant answers to these questions. I approve.
bigstar[1].gif
Originally Posted by Piobaire
"I have never had a weakness that materially impacted how I performed my job. However <insert weakness and how you fixed it here.>" Shows that while you realize you are not perfect you have also never been in a situation where your shortfalls hurt the organization.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads