• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes things just don't work. Ugh. We had another tornado outbreak in MO. I chased down a storm and was in the right place at the right time for perfect pics of a developing tornado. The battery was dead in the DSLR and I didn't grab a second camera.

Oh the shame.

At least I got to watch a slow moving quarter mile wide tornado form and then dissipate from less than a mile away. It's the first time I got to see the complete life cycle of a tornado from start to finish. This one didn't destroy things, it went through empty fields. Down South Joplin got creamed. I've seen some pics and videos. It hit a hospital and there are confirmed deaths. Very sad situation down there.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would appreciate some advice...my pictures always seem dark compared to others that are posted here. I have a Nikon D90 and rarely use the auto settings so I know I can adjust aperture or speed on a per photo basis but wonder if the white balance or something can be adjusted so that the "standard" is lighter overall?

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so do you use aperture priority or shutter priority or full on manual mode? Maybe you're shooting in too low of light? You could put it on a tripod and shoot manual mode say if you're lens was a 50mm 1.8 you could shoot aperature 1.8 and then shutter which ever has enough light. Alternatively, if it's during the day that it appears dark then adjust your "exposure compensation" it should look like a little +- button. On my d7000 it's on the top. You could adjust that until it looks right. WB will only change the color of the photo. I'd suggest the exposure compensation, that'll probably fix your problem. The WB would only adjust say if it has blue or yellow tint to it.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by il ciclista
so do you use aperture priority or shutter priority or full on manual mode? Maybe you're shooting in too low of light? You could put it on a tripod and shoot manual mode say if you're lens was a 50mm 1.8 you could shoot aperature 1.8 and then shutter which ever has enough light. Alternatively, if it's during the day that it appears dark then adjust your "exposure compensation" it should look like a little +- button. On my d7000 it's on the top. You could adjust that until it looks right. WB will only change the color of the photo. I'd suggest the exposure compensation, that'll probably fix your problem. The WB would only adjust say if it has blue or yellow tint to it.
Thanks. I usually shoot in "A" mode but, as you can guess, I am still fiddling my way around. I find the pics on the dark side for both day and night shots. I do adjust exposure at times but the shots usually look fine while shooting. Actually, I usually only notice the darkness if I post something here on the forum and compare with other shots. Like yours, which are consistently fantastic btw.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure of how it happened but it looks like I'm going to do a fashion shoot for Gap to be published in a magazine. I've been told by the mag owners if I want to do more work for them they have all kinds of it and I can pick what assignments I want to do.

It's been a long hard road to get to this point but it's been a dream of mine since I was the school photographer back in HS. it's good to dream, even better when they come true.

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
I'm not really sure of how it happened but it looks like I'm going to do a fashion shoot for Gap to be published in a magazine. I've been told by the mag owners if I want to do more work for them they have all kinds of it and I can pick what assignments I want to do.

It's been a long hard road to get to this point but it's been a dream of mine since I was the school photographer back in HS. it's good to dream, even better when they come true.

Nice! How did they hear about you? That's so awesome! If you need an assistant /grunt let me know
wink.gif

JackTheRipper

Reaction score
These are from when I first got my SLR with kit lens. Didn't have such a firm grasp of aperture, iso, shutterspeed back then. Haven't really shot as a hobby since then, but I've learned a lot after doing semi-professional work as a photographer and plan to buy new glass and a flash. Big fan of b/w.
KEb6K.jpg
XXSQl.jpg
UVsYQ.jpg

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's

Great. Congratulations.

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper
These are from when I first got my SLR with kit lens. Didn't have such a firm grasp of aperture, iso, shutterspeed back then. Haven't really shot as a hobby since then, but I've learned a lot after doing professional work as a photographer and plan to buy new glass and a flash. Big fan of b/w.

kind of confused by your post..you didn't know anything about photography yet after doing professional work as a photographer you now know how to? ( I don't know how you could be a pro before learning how to work a camera in the least)

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
^ Very cool! Congrats.
Nice! How did they hear about you? That's so awesome! If you need an assistant /grunt let me know
wink.gif

Originally Posted by NOBD
Great. Congratulations.
Thanks! Well it turns out that they've seen my gallery display and are longtime customers of Cranes. They talked to the people at the gallery about me and I guess what they said was good and they remembered it. All I did was introduce myself at the store and one thing lead to another. They asked if I was interested in doing some work and I said sure. I thought it was going to be along the lines of landscapes of wineries or something like that. I was floored when they said they wanted me to do fashion work. We're going over the details in a day or two along with an itinerary for the Gap shoot along with discussions about some other projects. One of those projects involves sun water and bikinis. i could be easily convinced to do that one for free. LOL!

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Very cool; congratulations! edit - whoa, didn't realize we were on a new page
smile.gif

JackTheRipper

Reaction score
kind of confused by your post..you didn't know anything about photography yet after doing professional work as a photographer you now know how to? ( I don't know how you could be a pro before learning how to work a camera in the least)

Well, I wasn't camera marsupialed but I meant that I wasn't as experienced as I am now. Also, I'd like to fix what I said, I meant semi-pro.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics