• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New study shows income is closely tied to choice of major. Your barista agrees.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't read all of that, but are they factoring out anyone with advanced degrees and professional degrees? Because that would really skew, say, biology's average considering that a good percentage of them go into medicine and (I would assume) most people who do well in undergrad biology would continue on into graduate programs. What does one do with an undergrad degree in biology? Not a rhetorical question, I actually don't know.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
Didn't read all of that, but are they factoring out anyone with advanced degrees and professional degrees? Because that would really skew, say, biology's average considering that a good percentage of them go into medicine and (I would assume) most people who do well in undergrad biology would continue on into graduate programs. What does one do with an undergrad degree in biology? Not a rhetorical question, I actually don't know.

I don't think that they are excluding people who go on to do advanced degrees, at least judging from the numbers for chemistry. This study shows a $55k average for chemists, but the American Chemical Society says that a BS in Chemistry only averages $40k. To get up to 55k, seems like graduate degree earners would have to be included.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Well, clinical psychology is an actual medical profession (with attendant wages) and requires a medical degree.

But yeah, taking a 4-year psych degree and then stopping is not the best way to have a lucrative career. On the other hand, I know a lot of people working in journalism or education who love their jobs and pity corporate lawyers and financial managers who work 80 hours a week and have no life, vacation, or hobbies.

Clinical psychology doesn't require a medical degree, it requires a ph.d or a psy.d. A psychatrist requires a medical degree.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As pointed out, this is a pretty silly study. Everyone knows you don't make a killing with just a BA in English or BSc in chemistry. You need the grad degree. Conversely, engineering is essentially a professional program complemented with coops and so on, and then a three year (in Canada) on-the-job training program, so it's totally different. It's hella harder as well. If a freshman English major doesn't go on to their second year, it wasn't because the program was too hard. Business is a totally different beast. It should be obvious why they make more money. And they don't all make more money. Lots of underemployed marketing grads out there.

I have a BA in psych and work in finance so YMMV.

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Clinical psychology doesn't require a medical degree, it requires a ph.d or a psy.d. A psychatrist requires a medical degree.

Correct.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
I have a BA in psych and work in finance so YMMV.

Correct.

I majored in Finance and I had a psychology minor. I almost double majored, I thought about industrial organizational psychology and behavioral finance. I lost interest. Now, I do financial work, but not in the finance industry.

Gene Parmesan

Reaction score
As an Economics undergrad at a top UK university, it's funny seeing pretty much everyone I know, at the age of 20/21, getting job offers with starting salaries in the region of £45,000 (~$75,000 given the current exchange rate, but it corresponds to a little bit more than that in reality). Pretty crazy money, and makes you realise how fortunate you are.

KPO89

Reaction score
Your career is like marrying for love or money...

Love: education, journalism, etc.

Money: Law, Comp Sci, could argue business

I would assume there is a dramatic inflation of these numbers now that college education is so cheap and practically attainable by all.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This article is perpetuating the myth that a college education will guarantee gainful employment or big bucks, even if it isn't its intent.

I'd like to see one of these analysis compare what a tradesman makes. I know people who never went to college and learned HVAC, worked second jobs and made savvy investments and are now worth way more than any one I know who holds a bachelor's.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH

Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
This article is perpetuating the myth that a college education will guarantee gainful employment or big bucks, even if it isn't its intent.

I'd like to see one of these analysis compare what a tradesman makes. I know people who never went to college and learned HVAC, worked second jobs and made savvy investments and are now worth way more than any one I know who holds a bachelor's.

All depends on where you are. I graduated from high school with kids who owned vacation homes and Porsches at 25, all because they went into welding in the oil patch. That said, some of them are ass-deep in debt.

joelmthw

Reaction score
The study found that white men are concentrated in the highest-earning majors, including engineering and pharmaceutical sciences, while women gravitate toward the lowest-earning majors like education, art and social work.

most girls go to college to get that MRS degree anyway

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love people who tried to convince me to become a psych major.

"Omg you learn how people THINK! You can then manipulate them and then take control of them! This is your path to the big bucks and business!!!111!!!

So marsupialed.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KPO89
Your career is like marrying for love or money...

Love: education, journalism, etc.

Money: Law, Comp Sci, could argue business

I would assume there is a dramatic inflation of these numbers now that college education is so cheap and practically attainable by all.

That's like not true at all.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd rather see lifetime earnings figures (with school costs subtracted)--some professions have very different salary ramps (especially if you spend a bunch of time getting a phd, doing a post doc, and turn 33 before you start earning more than a stipend).

Also why no econ? It is definitely not the same thing as business and it would be a shame to include it in "social sciences"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics