• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I have bought it for the president, teh coffee?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This morning I was in the cafeteria at work and the president of the company was behind me. We exchanged small chit chat and he said to me, "when I grow up I want to be as sharply dressed as you." Of course I was flattered, but I had to correct him, "I'm wearing a one-button peak lapel suit, NOT conservative business dress."

Joking, I didn't really say that, but I thanked him for the compliment and I paid for my breakfast and said my goodbyes. As I am walking away I am thinking to myself, should I have bought him his coffee? Would that have been a good move, or a kind of lame one? What do you think?

tj100

Reaction score
Lame. He should have bought you your coffee/breakfast.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But if I bought him the coffee would it have helped or hurt me?

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
But if I bought him the coffee would it have helped or hurt me?

Probably neither. Personally, I think it would have put him in an awkward place, which is never a great thing to do. If, between the two of you, one is going to pay for both, it should be the most senior person who offers. If you throw out the offer, you make it seem as though he's cheaped out on his responsibility.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lame and considered brown nosing!

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
He's the boss, he's making ******* money and you're making peanuts. Unless he's your friend, don't buy.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't even cross my mind to buy him coffee in this scenario. Don't worry about it.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cool, thanks guys. I will sleep tonight. Lonely, in a one-room leaky apartment, with no heat, hot water, or windows.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The guy with authority is the one who picks up the tab. It's one of the folkways of the business world.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No offense, but does he even know your name?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every time I go out for lunch or drinks with a superior, they pay. They won't let me touch my wallet.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he'll be impressed if you're smart and make money for him, not if you buy him coffee

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads